The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Bell 206

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
euroastar350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Bell 206

Post by euroastar350 »

AI conversion of Owen Hewitt's Bell 206. I stripped everything out of the interior, everything on the outside is mapped to one single sheet minus the spinning rotor textures. All that's left is to create the LODs, create the spinning rotor textures, FDEs (not good on those), paintkit. I can easily convert into an OH58 (not Delta) with minimal modifications. Anyone interested? Oh and polys are down to 11,645 from almost 35,000, so this will be a little on the high side for AI use.
Attachments
AI206.jpg
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Bell 206

Post by clickclickdoh »

TH-57s as far as the eye can see...
junior
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by junior »

I agree, and for a little while could populate Cairns with some -67's!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

The polys are high but my guess would be that the original was created using accurate curves and that does not help. Most AI aircraft are created from 8 or 16 sided shapes and then smoothed off.

However, the amount for the main model is not too prohibitive as most times, even on a flight line, you will only see one or two main models the rest will be LOD2. 3 or 4 and these will be rougher and vastly reduced polys. I think that the key here will be how well you do the LODs.

Fair play to you for taking the project on board.
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Great work so far. I'm using the stock FSX B206 (5 LODs, 29k Vertices) in limited quantities as a TH-57 at S. Whiting Fld, FL. I almost purchased the JFAI version after getting the JFAI HH-65 and H-60.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Dustoff,
Could you elaborate a little more on how you got the stock 206 to work? I've tried everything. After making flight plans, parking spaces, etc., they just don't show up. I'm trying to do the same thing you are with the TH-57 at S. Whiting. Appreciate any comments.
Reggie
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

While I'm sure Dustoff will chime in when he gets in, I DO know that from what I've seen in FSX, the aircraft type in the CFG has to be Airplane to use it as AI, in addition to using an airplane-based FDE. I'll see if I can recreate what I did, as I didn't like the poly hit and the multiple DDS files used and ceased using them as AI.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Reggie,
Using the older stemme_as_helicopter1 airfile that I used in FS9 for making non-AI models fly. The stock B206 has 5 LODs, would be great to remove the LOD 400 as it has the most drawcalls. I need to check on them, but the model is flying as an OH-58 for me in the Austrian AF.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Thank you Sir. I'll keep experimenting. I don't know how to do the LOD thing (removing them), so I'll have to use a full model.

Reggie
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Where can I get the "stemme_as_helicopter1" airfile?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If you go to avsim and search for 'aiheli*.zip' by Holger Sandmann you will find the air file there. I point you to all of the set as he gives you cfg files for various helos as well.
Steve
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Excellent, thanks!
euroastar350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by euroastar350 »

It's been a while since posted regarding the AI206, well technically I haven't done any much work on it lately as I am busy wrapping up some flyable models for other developers including my own. Since I won't have much time to devote to this project as much as I want, I will gladly pass along the source file (gmax/3DS max) to anyone wishing to finish off the bird. Current polygon count is about 11,000 and has 1 texture map, no animations. Since it is based on Owen Hewitt's Bell 206, I have made several variations for the flyable models released under the Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations label and I can provide access to the original LOD models, etc. Anyone interested, drop me a line at euroastar350 "AT" gmail dot com
euroastar350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by euroastar350 »

Ok so here is the base Bell 206 in it's current form and at 8,553 polys.It has very few things to texture and in need of animations, has 4 LODs built in, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue on how those would export or how to get those to work when it comes to exporting. I have the base model on low skids with high skids to be added as well. Since I almost have a base texture done, a paintkit will be needed as well. Anyone wanting to create a paintkit and FDE for this bird, let me know and I can upload what I have so far.
AI20601.jpg
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

Looks nice.
I don't know if this is the first model that you are building but it is always better to texture all parts before proceeding with LODs. As it has skids it is recommended to develop special take off landing animation where AI will go off the ground immediately after engine start so it will look natural.after this is done FDE can be done.Paintkit is hard to find person to build so I am recommending some basic steps done by you and than someone might get interested.It is always better to do as much as you can and someone might become interested ;)
VIVA LA VIDA
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Wish I could help, but the models look great so far.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

I would love to understand the special take off and landing animation mentioned by Miljan. I am a novice in FSDS, but it's fun learning and I have got a couple of beta projects flying; I really want to try a helicopter.

Is anyone able to share some knowledge?

Jon
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

AI helicopter take off and landing is controlled by XML code plus key frames with the FDE created for the performance. If you look at my Merlin it takes off, then hovers than goes into forward flight.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm not clear at the moment Jon (jgowing) about what you are able to do and what you haven't tried yet. I think it would pay to have a methodology to your design rather than jumping forward to something that's quite advanced without having mastered the basics first, particularly so with FSX modelling which is a bit of a challenge with FSDS. Here's a few things you need to be able to do in order to get the model functional in FSX:

- Create a GUID and FriendlyName

- Produce key frame animations

- Apply animation and visibility tags to animated parts

- Map a texture

- Create LODs

- Export the object with the LODs

- Set up a FDE (aircraft.cfg and .air file)

As Jon B says, the helicopter lift animation is triggered by a block of xml code. Rather than starting with that one, I would suggest trying something a little more simple first, such as getting the pilots to disappear when the helicopter is cold. That also uses xml code but without any animation. As miljan says, I would also carry the texture mapping forward into the LODs rather than having to map each LOD again. It's quicker that way and the texture will stay in register through the LODs.

If you can do all of the above, only then I would move on to the lift animation. People here will help you do it, but you need the basics first.

Tell us more about what you know you can and can't yet do and we can see how to help you from there.

John Y.
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

John Y (so many Johns), I appreciate you advice, and I didn't wish to appear naive about the challenges here. I was struck by all the requests people make on Martin's Owl's Nest for example, seemingly far outnumbering those who actually contribute, so I wanted to try to learn myself, obviously with no idea at all initially. So, with as much patience as I could muster, I began.

My platform is FS9, and my methodology, simply, is one step at a time. At first I wanted to make local landmark scenery for my area (EGLM, several completed so far) , but the FSDS tutorials major on building aircraft, so I began a Short Skyvan, and thus learned to animate wheels and propellers. It's a work in progress.

Next I wanted to try a retractable undercarriage, so, again thinking it might as well be a plane no-one had started for AI, I began a Folland Gnat. Also a work in progress, but the gear retracts to a standard that I can live with for now.

My wish list includes an Alouette III, and that would be my helicopter project. I know it's a leap, and may not get there any time soon, but this thread prompted me to sound things out, probably a little sooner than I otherwise would have. So, to your list:

- Create a GUID and FriendlyName - I know what a GUID is, but I'm not entirely sure.

- Produce key frame animations - yes, at least once.

- Apply animation and visibility tags to animated parts - no.

- Map a texture - yes.

- Create LODs - about to start that for the Skyvan.

- Export the object with the LODs - not yet.

- Set up a FDE (aircraft.cfg and .air file) - I've tweaked cfg's to get contact points, lights and so on.

I know nothing about xml, but a few months ago I didn't know anything at all. So yes, I'm a novice, but I remember reading what Mike Pearson said about trying.

Jon Gowing