The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF Lakenheath for FSX/P3D

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
david.harwood
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: RAF Lakenheath for FSX/P3D

Post by david.harwood »

Would love a Mildenhall to match the Twin Bases package from back in the day. Still great to have two bases next to each other although I would hope and frame-rate issues would be as minimal as with the Twin Bases package. Would be nice if Mildenhall was a tad retro with some SR-71's buzzing around.
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by rocket_26_ »

Bora wrote:This looks really fantastic !!

On the 'July Community Update' on the MAIW frontpage it says that this scenery is for FS9 as well... It would be even more fantastic if that is true... Is it ?

The three possible options you mention for your next possible project all sound great... Mildenhall would be my favorite of these three.
It is for FSX/P3D only sadly. I don't have Fs9 installed anymore and its not a simple conversion to make it FS9 ready.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Oops sorry for the mix-up... :oops:
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

Cottesmore would be my choice, would love a good harrier base
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

A quick update on Lakenheath.

The FSX version will be released for Christmas. It is all but finished and I am just testing between now
and then. Mainly the parking file as that is not my expertise. The scenery features full custom night lighting etc.

The scenery will work in P3D but I cannot get the ground lights to appear even with simconnect so for the initial release so will have to look at that when there is a solution. Regarding the night lighting, after a lot of testing it appears that the shear volume of hand placed custom taxi and runway lights are hitting the FPS on my system with all settings maxed out and the full airport in view (all the lights ). At night there is no impact but in the day there is which is strange considering the lights are off.

If I remove the light files the frames jump up by a minimum of 10FPS. If I remove just the taxi lights it only jumps a third of that. The only other scenery we made with the custom lights in FSX was Wattisham and testing with and without the lights the FPS increase was there but far less impact which I put down to the fact it has 50% less lights than Lakenheath.

Pete Beeby has kindly been working on a SODE optional package for the scenery which will be released at later date which will include a wet surface effect for the hard surfaces, seasonal ultra high res trees (designed to blend perfectly with ORBX) and a high resolution grass effect at low level which will eliminate the poor contrast of using sat imagery and high res custom taxiways/runways. The sat imagery still displays as before though at higher altitudes. These additions have minimal impact on performance but will require the installation of SODE to work.

Below are two screenshots to show the grass effect compared to without.

PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

...thanks for your kind comments Ian, I thought that I'd better say ' hello ' here now at MAIW myself too !

Those of you that are patiently waiting for Ian's superb RAF Lakenheath package are definitely not going to be disappointed, the modelling and texturing of the Scenery is amongst the very best out there !!

With Ian's endorsement, I am working on an optional effects package, which has been custom developed to compliment Lakenheath.
I will provide more details, as to the extent of the content of the package being developed, in due course.

As Ian has pointed out, this package will be available after the initial release Lakenheath and will require the downloading and installation of the latest version of Jeffery Stahli's SODE * utility. ( * The latest versions of SODE are different from earlier versions of SODE which you may have previously used with other Scenery Packages. The biggest single difference now being, is that SODE now resides out side of your main FSX / P3D Folder Structure. )
It is not possible to include all of the new features contained within the effects package, in the way that we want you to be able to see them, without the use of SODE.

One reservation I do currently have with regard to my optional package Is, how do people here at MAIW feel about SODE ???

Regards,

Pete Beeby.
Bora

Post by Bora »

Not really familiar yet with SODE, but the optional package sounds very promising in combination with this fantastic looking scenery !
maiden757
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by maiden757 »

This is fantastic....I may well have to fire up FSX occasionally just to see it in all it's glory!
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

Hi All,

.....to help understand a little more, about what the optional package is all about, you can see further details here -
( Please be aware that not all of the content of the package is shown in these early developmental screenshots )

http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/so ... es.437438/

and

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thread ... es.435080/

Regards,

Pete.
Bora

Post by Bora »

Love the detail that is added when at low altitude with the use of SODE !

Great work !
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

Hi,

...here's a few latest development shots from EGUL featuring the SODE Effects Package.

Regards,

Pete.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

A big thanks to Ian and all others who created RAF Lakenheath v2!
Installation was quick and simple, John's F-15's immediately felt at home at this new scenery, framerates in FSX-SE are good.
paul1978

Post by paul1978 »

Hi just a big thank you to Ian and the other who have work so hard on this lovely work of art . I have a question I don't wont to sound silly but how do I get the new al F-15 to work and also to be park on the new ramps . sorry if this is a silly question but im new to this . Thank you all again bring some much more to flying my mudhen . Merry Christmas to you all
Dino Cattaneo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Dino Cattaneo »

Great scenery - easily one of the best military airports around, if not the best - THANK YOU!
butcherbird17
Cadet
Cadet

Post by butcherbird17 »

Thanks Ian and everyone else involved with this scenery. I've been drooling over this one ever since it was first announced on the ACG boards. I have a small problem with the AI not showing up. I used the MAIW flight plans from the original Lakenheath and switched out the NBAI models for John's (FSX) models. I recompiled with AIFP and get no errors and all aircraft show that they are installed, but they do not show in sim. I ran a scan to see if maybe I had an fs9 traffic file installed somewhere, but there are none.
I know it's not the models as I have them flying in and out from Nellis and Edwards with no problems. I just can't seem to get them to show at Lakenheath. If anyone has a working traffic file for John's Mudhen's they don't mind sharing I'd be more than grateful.
Thanks.

Joe
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

If you are looking for AI models, paints, scenery or traffic, always go to the Owls Nest Military AI Reference - aircraft, repaints & flight plans database:

http://www.owlsnest.eu/aiaircraft.php

A search on "lakenheath" produced several packages, I would recommend jyai_f-15s_fsx_lakenheath_repaints.zip by Zsolt Beleznay which is available on AVSIM:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=191590

The package contains lots of tail no's from RAF Lakenheath based squadrons as well as traffic plans.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

If AI is not showing in FSX and all the components are in the right place and matching, 99.9% of the time it is due to an FS9-formatted traffic file somewhere in FSX. People with the problem swear blind that there isn't one, but I have had so many e-mails and posts, where after advice to check further, the rogue file is found and the problem eliminated.

Make sure you scan all local scenery folders with AIFP too, because traffic files are sometimes placed there by authors. Also try removing all traffic files from scenery\world\scenery except the problem airfield and see if the AI shows. If it does, put half the files back and re-check. Use a process of divide and conquer to get to the rogue file.

John
dave76
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Post by dave76 »

john thanks for your work, amazing scenery :)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It's of course Ian's work on Lakenheath with high definition tree and ground textures from Pete. All credit to them. I just made the FSX F-15s and Pave Hawks to go with it.

John
Redtail
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Redtail »

Great work Ian, Pete and others for this long awaited work .I was very pleased when you said you would continue with this project.
I look forward to further additions in the near future.
Thank you. :D