The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSX/P3D RAF Alconbury

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: FSX/P3D RAF Alconbury

Post by TimC340 »

Firebird wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 11:18 I can understand that people like to be up to date and I find it frustrating that a lot of the bases that were around when I joined the RAF are closing.
The nice side effect means that you can actually enjoy current and retro activity in the same sim. You just need to program the retro traffic to go between closed bases. It is always a nice surprise when you meet something unexpected in the sim. I bumped into a 527 TFTAS F-5E the other day. Lovely.

What I mean is that being a fan of current operations doesn't mean that you have to miss out on retro. You can make sure that the two don't get in each others way.
Having been an RAF pilot in the Cold War years (1977-98), I love being able to revisit airfields I often visited back then and watch traffic around me recreating familiar scenes. I'm a commercial pilot these days (A330/340), and I have absolutely no problem seeing 1980's jets mixing with 2010's airliners in my FS environment.

I'm working on WW2 recreations of the airfields local to me (Suffolk/Essex), and while I try to keep the traffic appropriate to the vintage, it's quite fun to have a section of JY's A10s blat through the overhead as some B17s or P51s are in the circuit!