The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Use of MAIW objects

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
SpectroPro
Cadet
Cadet
Version: P3D

Use of MAIW objects

Post by SpectroPro »

I am working on a couple sceneries currently. Nothing military though. I would love to use some of the items that are in the various MAIW libraries. I have read the USE section of the docs and would have no problem giving proper credit...but here are my questions:

May I use these in my scenery? They will NOT be payware.

Do I give credit to MAIW or to the author or both? And if the author or both how do I know who created a particular object as the ones I want to use are in various bgl's from various packs.

Can I include the objects with my scenery or do I need to have links for people to get them on their own? (not a great way to offer scenery, IMO)

Thanks,

Greg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Use of MAIW objects

Post by Firebird »

Hi Greg.

In simple terms MAIW does not produce objects or even aircraft. We are an umbrella organisation that aids developers and even makes there collaborations available. To this extent we are allowed by those authors to use their work in our releases BUT we are not authorised to allow third parties to use their work.

To utilise their work in your releases you have to either get the permission from the author(s) of the objects or you can point people to our libs. Everything that we have permission to utilise is in the MAIW Global libs package and maybe that is the best thing to point to.
Be aware that we have an FS9 and an FSX version so make sure you point people to the right one if you go down that route.

Does this answer help?
Steve
SpectroPro
Cadet
Cadet
Version: P3D

Post by SpectroPro »

Yes and no. LOL Yeah, I got all your libs...and some of the items in them are perfect for what I am doing. Unlike many years ago I am not finding crap for objects like you could back then. (10+ years ago) My question would then be, if I want one object from one of your libs, how can I find out who made it so I would know who to contact?? I know just from personal experience I have always despised scenery that I would download only to read that I needed to then go download other files so that it would work. When I had made my scenery for BlueStream Airlines base I contacted every object creator for permission to include it. Of course, like I said, back then you could find 1000's of objects for use and get them as you needed for a project. I am NOT into modifying objects and really have no time to figure all that out...so I am not going to go download single objects that work in fs9 or fsx (yeah, I know SOME work perfectly..but many don't..and for that matter, many fsx objects were just fs9 objects that actually worked...) I wish a web site would pop up that dealt mainly if not ONLY for P3Dv4+ as far as models, scenery, objects, etc.... Hell, I have unlimited everything via my web host...so if anyone wants to do it I'll host it for free!!!!!

Greg

Oh, in case you forgot since that was rather sub topic and long...lol... is there a way to find out who created an object in one of your libraries?? Or is that just not possible... I was looking at using maybe 10 or 15 objects...

And thanks!!!!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

OK so you are after using individual objects rather than a lib.
That does complicate things. Sometimes, not always, several people contributed objects to a lib and it can be difficult to find the individual responsible. If the lib is attributed to one person then that is simple if not then it could be very difficult to find the one that actually modeled it. In short we do not have a list of who did what simply because nobody foresaw a reason that we might need to.

One of our developers in particular was put off from downloading other packages just to get a lib to use in some scenery which ultimately lead to the libs only package.

I understand what you say about fsx objects but what I can say is that every lib in our FSX Global libs was manually converted to fsx standard by one person rather than just checked to see if they appeared ok in fsx.

Unless I am missing something obvious it does seem that there are currently two solutions to your issue.
Either a pointer to the Global Libs package or if you were able to list the individual objects from the relevant libs here we can see if the individual modelers are still around and can hep you out.
Steve