The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Vought RF-8G Crusader AI.

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
DC1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Vought RF-8G Crusader AI.

Post by DC1973 »

Hi folks, just putting a feeler out there for a potential AI aircraft. I'm developing the full version for FSX / P3D and wondered whether there was an appetite for an AI version? The reason I ask is that I can take the airframe from where it is now, at a basic level, and build the AI very quickly from there before pushing on from that point to build a separate model for the full version.

Piccy attached. I thought that it might go well with the existing Crusader AI packages as an add-on :)
Attachments
TextureMaps.jpg
DC Designs
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Vought RF-8G Crusader AI.

Post by Firebird »

In my experience there is always an appetite for an AI version.

In this case though, I think you can save yourself some work as Mike Pearson included the RF-8A and the RF-8G in his Crusader packs.
Steve
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Dean, I would welcome a proper FSX/P3D AI Crusader. Martin has been asking me to convert Mike's old FS9 models but I found the Crusaders a bit long in the tooth, not worth the conversion effort for me. That screenshot tells me you got the shape right, looks very promising.

Henk.
DC1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DC1973 »

Thanks for the replies chaps. Seems like it's a bit of a split decision! I'll keep a modern conversion in mind and split the package into two for now. If the original AI Crusaders are a bit old, I can perhaps take on an entirely new version a bit later on.

Cheers :)
DC Designs
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

A bit late here, but as Henk said.... Right now there is no P3dv4 compatible Crusader on the horizon. So you have the chance to make a lot of people happy... [emoji5]

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thumbs up here, following the progress of the flyable model and makes sense to produce the AI version if time allows.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

hschuit wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 11:35 Dean, I would welcome a proper FSX/P3D AI Crusader. Martin has been asking me to convert Mike's old FS9 models but I found the Crusaders a bit long in the tooth, not worth the conversion effort for me. That screenshot tells me you got the shape right, looks very promising.

Henk.
I haven't noticed anything wrong with Mike's models. What do you think is wrong?
Steve
DC1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DC1973 »

Victory103 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 23:12 Thumbs up here, following the progress of the flyable model and makes sense to produce the AI version if time allows.
Thanks. I should have more news about the flyable model soon, been very busy with work and also with a commercial flight sim project so juggling lots of balls at the moment :)
DC Designs
DC1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DC1973 »

Firebird wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 08:42 I haven't noticed anything wrong with Mike's models. What do you think is wrong?
I did have a quick look - I think maybe Henk thinks them a little simple compared to some of the more recent releases, rather than there being anything intrinsically wrong with them.
DC Designs
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Firebird wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 08:42 I haven't noticed anything wrong with Mike's models. What do you think is wrong?
I did not say anything is wrong, it is just what Dean says, they are a bit simple compared to more recent releases. For my Landivisiau scenery I use a converted Abacus F-8 model which looks much better but that is just my personal opinion, I do not want to offend anyone.

Henk.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I don't think that you were offending anybody.

Where I was coming from is purely about the move to a fully P3D compatible AI world. It can't be fully compatible if the only F-8 series of AI models is not converted.

I will take your point about that they may be not be as detailed as maybe people would like but the key question is can they be replaced by something else? Would people have models that are seen as simplistic by some, or none at all?

I thing we all know the answer there.

Now if DC was to undertake to do the whole family as AI my feelings would be different, but I would not put him in the position of feeling pressurized into doing something he either doesn't want to or doesn't feel up to.

As we currently stand my feeling is that the MPAI family should be converted. I am not saying that they should be a priority nor am I saying that if a replace family comes along later that the conversion can't be shelved.

To re-iterate right from the start of the P3D project the intention was to convert as much as possible to P3D so that people could move their entire traffic system to the new platform. The one proviso being that if we could not get permission to convert then they would not get done.
Steve
DC1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DC1973 »

Just updating this thread with a recent render for the full-size RF-8G Crusader. This model is currently less than 4,000 polys and apart from a small amount of tidying up is looking very nice for it.

I will split the AI version off soon as it can make do with lower-detail undercarriage and of course cockpit area. This can then be the base for a family of these aircraft, should I have enough time to complete them all ( the fighter version's nose area was significantly different to the recon bird so would need altering ).
Attachments
Render4.jpg
DC Designs
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Would be nice to see them all.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Very nice!
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by DC1973 »

I'll see what I can do gents, there are so many things that I want to build for flight sim that I often don't know which to work on first. I'm my own worst enemy :)
DC Designs
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

This is awesome news, Deeno!!!!

The FSX project I’m most stoked over is your flyable RF model. Awesome there’ll be little AI chicks to keep the big bird company ...
Quaere verum - Seek truth