The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Help Needed.

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
EagleStan
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Help Needed.

Post by EagleStan »

Hi all Im new to designing airport in FSX so i thought i would have ago at updating Marham as It my local. Im using ADE and put one of HAS on my plan but i have noticed that there is little black squares were the lights should be . Have I done some thing wrong .
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Help Needed.

Post by Firebird »

OK the little black squares thing is quite well known and probably well documented in the manual.
ADE knows about the default scenery object libs of the FS version and very little else. If you want to manipulate scenery using non-default libs then you must any addon libs used by that scenery to the Library Object Manager in ADE.

Once the LOM knows about the objects it will happily handle them including allowing you to move them or add them. In essence it won't do anything with something it doesn't know about.

In the early days of ADE this caused people here no end of problems when scenery was amended by users. For example amending parking codes and compiling would mean that all non-default scenery was lost. This is why we started ensuring that all scenery was split, using ADE options, into bgl and OBJ.bgl files. This way you could amend the base afcad part without losing objects as the OBJ.bgl was never altered.

So in short, to get around your problem you need to add all the scenery libs used by Marham to the LOM. You can also add thumbnails for each obj into the LOM as well so that you will see the object when you move your mouse over it but I will let somebody else explain that if you want to do that.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Which Marham are you amending? Are you adding HAS objects from a library to the FSX default Marham with your own custom AFCAD? In that case Steve's advice is correct. If it's my FSX Marham, it doesn't use object libraries. it uses Gmax scenery objects. That would present a similar problem but would require manipulation with MCX if you are changing things.

John
EagleStan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by EagleStan »

I think what you lot do is amazing .Sorry if I haven't explain my self very well. Me being dyslexia doesn't help. What I did first was I downloaded a recent image of Marham as I need a template to add the F-35 landing Pads. I then Open your BGL File john In ADE . I put that over the top of the image so I then had a recent plan . I downloaded the MAIW Globel scenry Library and the thumbnails and added them to the Library Object Manager in ADE. I then went to use the MAIW aircraft shelters with the HAS in like the one used in the Lakenheath Scenery . AS my recent picture of Marham HAS look that kind colour. I then compild the project . I then loaded FSX up and went to Marham and at this point I notice that there was black squares were the lights should be . Every think else is ok.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No problem, glad to help and good to see you having a go. Might have to play 20 questions here.

- When you refer to lights are these the runway and taxiway lights or could they be missing "glow sticks" that line the taxiways from my scenery?

- What is the file you are using to draw the lights? If they are mine, they are drawn in the AFX_EGYM_FSX.bgl file. If that file is loaded they should display in FSX. The "glow sticks are in a separate .bgl file that calls the sticks from a library (sorry forgot about that one).

- If they are yours, are they from the default FSX Lakenheath AFCAD that you have loaded into ADE and re-compiled, or are you starting the AFCAD file from scratch?

- When you did the compile, did you also include my scenery that you imported or did you remove it first?

- Have you compiled with the Object and Airport elements split separately (see ADE options)? If you did and you load just the Airport element with no other scenery, do you still have black squares.

Your comment about the HAS colour was interesting. Lakenheath HAS's are brown, Marham ones were green. Have they been repainted brown?

John
EagleStan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by EagleStan »

HI John.
The lights i refer are the ones on the HAS . I would send you a image but I have found out how to do that part yet .
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

So the HAS library object has been added to ADE and then placed by yourself? You have the HAS library.bgl live in FSX together with it's texture in the texture folder? Could it be a missing texture for the HAS lights if the rest of the HAS is displaying correctly?
EagleStan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by EagleStan »

HI john.
I'm using the maiw aircraft shelters libaray fsx bgl file. I then added file 21 and 22 which I made my HAS . I then place it on my scenery and then i compiled it. loaded FSX up and noticed that the flood lights had black squares on . The lights work but it looks like the front of the flood lights are missing
Many Thanks
Stan .
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Right, I've tracked the problem down and there is a fault in the library object. The lights should display the texture HASLIGHT.BMP and the _LM for night. Both files are present in the texture folder, but only the night (_LM) texture displays. The day texture displays black:

All exactly as you have found.

I have a nagging suspicion that the same problem is in the FS9 version of the library too. I haven't set that up in FS9, but I did take a look at the object in MCX and the day texture is not displaying. I suspect that when the conversion was done from FS9 to FSX that fault was carried through.

It's not my object, so nothing I can do about that. However, if you would like my green Marham HAS model, I can arrange that. The only condition is that you place each HAS as a scenery object in ADE rather than a library one. That's just as easy to do and I have a few lines of text that will tell you how if you need it.

John
EagleStan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by EagleStan »

Hi John .
Yes that is like what I have with the black squares but I have a complete HAS showing . How do i send you a image of it to show you .

Stan
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No need to do that Stan. The HAS objects in the library are in two parts - the "tunnel" and "everything else". I just placed the "everything else" so that I could test the lights while saving a bit of time.

John
EagleStan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by EagleStan »

Ok thanks John . Yes I would love to have your HAS green Model Please. When I add them what do I do then . Do I save them as another project in ADE .

Stan .
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No, far easier than that Stan. Just delete the HAS library objects with the missing lights and replace them with my models, but this time as scenery objects. There are two models, one with open doors and the other with doors closed. You will also need to place the HAS floors for the open models for reasons I'll explain in the PM that I'm going to send you next with a link to the files.

I'll also give you my e-mail address. When you come to set up F-35B's to operate from the pads, you will probably need a bit of help.

John
EagleStan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by EagleStan »

Thanks so much for all your help John Its been really kind of you to help . A bit of a silly question how do I put your models as scenery objects.

Stan
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No problem Stan, it's always good to help grow designers. Sorry, should have said, there's a few lines of text in the zip I've sent you to tell you how to place scenery objects.

John