The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Diversion - Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Diversion - Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training

Post by drmweaver2 »

Needing a break from the realm of Russian Military AI, I decided to take a stab at some CONUS training bases. Over a period of about two days, this is what I came up with.

This post details the collection of available models, repaints, flightplans and voicepacks for the USAF and USN basic and intermediate pilot training aircraft that I have installed on my system to represent the Joint Specialized Undergraduate and Intermediate Pilot and Navigator Training Program in the USAF, USN and USMC.

The following aircraft, bases and squadrons are represented.
// Laughlin AFB
// 84 FTS - T-37B
// 85 FTS - T-37B
// 86 FTS - T-1A
// 87 FTS - T-38C
// 96 FTS - T-1,T-6,T-38C AETC/AFRC Associate Instructor Pilot (IP) Program (Reserve Associate Sqdn)

// Moody AFB
// 3 FTS - T-6A
// 39 FTS - T-1,T-6,T-38C AETC/AFRC Associate Instructor Pilot (IP) Program (Reserve Associate Sqdn)
// 49 FTS - AT-38
// 435 FTS - AT-38

// Randolph AFB
// 99 FTS - T-1A
// 100 FTS - T-6(T-37B)
// 559 FTS - T-6(T-37B)
// 560 FTS - T-38B AETC/AFRC Associate Instructor Pilot (IP) Program
// 562 FTS - T-43A (Boeing 737) NAvigator training(?)
// 563 FTS - T-43A (Boeing 737) EWO training

// Vance AFB
// 5 FTS - T-1A AETC/AFRC Associate Instructor Pilot (IP) Program
// 8 FTS - T-6
// 25 FTS - T-38
// 32 FTS - T-1A
// 33 FTS - T-37
// 71 OSS - International training

// Columbus AFB
// 37 FTS - T-37
// 41 FTS - T-37
// 43 FTS - T-1A AETC/AFRC Associate Instructor Pilot (IP) Program
// 48 FTS - T-1A
// 50 FTS - T-38C

// NAS Pensacola
// VT4 - T-1A
// VT10 - T-34C/T-6, T-39/T-1A
// VT86 - T-34C/T-6, T-39/T-2/T-1A

//Note 1: There appear to be no relevant files concerning NAS Corpus Christi on
// avsim.com or the PAI website. No textures, scenery or afcads.
// There are some T-34 and T-28 files, but these are 1 and 2 generations
// removed from current operations respectively.
// Flightsim.com has the same aircraft files and a USS Lexington file
// - but it is moored and no longer operational.
// A google-based afcad would take me about an hour to complete.
// However, without even generic textures, populating the base with AI
// aircraft is problematic.
//
//Note2: The US military pilot training aircraft inventory is currently
// in a transiton stage.
// The T-37 is being replaced by the T-1A.
// The T-34C is being replaced by the T-6A.
// As such, it will be possible to see the older models on certain bases
// through at least mid-2007/early 2008.

I am using(or there are) the following models and associated textures:
T-1A >>model- HTAI B400A (Henry Tomkiewicz)http://www.htaimodels.com
............................file: ai_beechjet_400a.zip
..............textures on avsim.com
.........................ai_t-1a_usaf.zip (Jarvis Chang)
........................rio_lobos.zip (Ed Knapp/Eaglesoft Development Group)
........................t1a_ai_usaf.zip (Lamont Clark)
........................usaf_t-1a_trainers.zip (Jeff Ballenski)
........................usaf_t-1a_vance_afb_ai.zip (Keith Guillory)

T-6A Texan II >>model- t-6a_haf_v2.zip (Nick Karatzides) on avsim.com
..............textures on avsim.com
......................... t6a_texan_ii_usaf_usn_repaints.zip (Tom Stevenson)

AT-38/T-38A/T-38C >>FSD Freeware
.............>>model FSD freeware T-38 fsd_t38.zip on avsim.com
.............textures on avsim.com
.........................fsd_t38a_87fts_repaint.zip (Tom Stevenson)
.........................kcbm_t38a.zip (Eric Joiner)
.........................kvad_t38a.zip (Eric Joiner)
.........................vancewhite.zip (Bradley A. Baker)

T-43C >>models T-43/B737-200 (Eric Cantu)
...................and AIA B737-200
..................(other models available - PAI B732 [true AI model but only 1 texture]
....................and - Boeing T-43 Yeodesigns Group [gmax model - 1 texture])
................textures on avsim.com
........................texture.randolph__t-43.zip (Roger Martin)
........................t43aus.zip (Henry Williams)
................textures on flightsim.com
........................t43aus.zip (Henry Williams)
........................t31152.zip (Henry Williams)
........................t20285.zip (Henry Williams)

Afcads
Columbus - http://afcad.projectai.com/general/sear ... nload=1174
..................(Chris Bailey)
Laughlin - http://afcad.projectai.com/general/sear ... nload=1057
..................(Chris Bailey)
Moody - http://afcad.projectai.com/general/sear ... wnload=907
................(Dave O'Brien)
................http://afcad.projectai.com/general/sear ... nload=1175
................(Chris Bailey)
Randolph - rafb2006.zip/avsim.com (James S. Shaddox)
.................http://afcad.projectai.com/general/sear ... wnload=925
.................(Dave O'Brien)
.................http://afcad.projectai.com/general/sear ... wnload=973
.................(Chris Bailey)
Vance - http://afcad.projectai.com/general/sear ... wnload=868
...............(Dave O'Brien)
...............http://afcad.projectai.com/general/sear ... nload=1173
...............(Chris Bailey)
Pensacola - http://afcad.projectai.com/general/sear ... wnload=904
................(Dave O'Brien)
................knpa.zip on avsim (Buzz Baxter)

Flightplans
I began doing my own flightplans and then ran across the T-1A Jayhawk A.I. Pack by Lamont Clark on avsim.com while looking for textures. His pack includes some flightplans. While they are perfectly acceptable for what they cover, obviously they were limited to a single aircraft type. I'm in the process of modifying and expanding them - but I must publicy acknowledge the work he has put into them. Consequently, if you want his, go get them... ;P Mine are still in the development stage.
John
"I may be old and slow, but when I waddle down the hill to a group of cows, I get 'em all - unlike the randy young bulls who get too excited and are totally spent after fun with just one."
Psuls
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Psuls »

Hi dreamweaver

Just to let you know, there is a package for the T-37 which is underway.

Check the preview section :)
Pascal
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

I believe the T-37 is being replaced by the T-6 Texan II. Also, there are no more T-37s at Vance. They were phased out by the T-6 II.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

Psuls, I know about the T-37 package... I didn't care to wait for it as I would bet my next paycheck that it's not going to also provide true AI T-6's and T-38's, complete with textures and flightplans for each base.
BadPvtDan wrote:I believe the T-37 is being replaced by the T-6 Texan II. Also, there are no more T-37s at Vance. They were phased out by the T-6 II.
The T-37 is a jet, right? Why would you replace a jet trainer with a propeller-driven aircraft, the T-6A II? The T-37 was always the SECOND aircraft in the series. The T-6A is intended to be the FIRST aircraft a pilot is trained on. At least as far as I know.

Anyway, I based my list on what I found on official and squadron-member pages. If anyone wants to alter their AI population from what I have listed... good for them. I provided the information I found for whatever value it has to anyone else.
John
"I may be old and slow, but when I waddle down the hill to a group of cows, I get 'em all - unlike the randy young bulls who get too excited and are totally spent after fun with just one."
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

drmweaver2 wrote:The T-37 is a jet, right? Why would you replace a jet trainer with a propeller-driven aircraft, the T-6A II?
Quite simply, operating costs. Don't forget the RAF did the same, the Tucano T1 replaced the Jet Provost T5 and they are not the only ones.

I know that some purists may argue that a turboprop is a jet, but lets avoid that one please. :)
Steve
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

So the USAF stuck new pilots straight into jets with no other flight training? That's just stupid, if you ask me, for too many reasons to go into here. The Navy has obviously thought differently - for decades and apparently the USAF has decided the Navy-way is the better way - at least for the immediate future - that's not a service-rivalry-based comment. It's based on economics and flight-training logic (you probably should learn to taxi under control before you try going supersonic).

Ultimately it makes little difference. The T-37 aircraft will be out of the inventory for good by early 2008 according to schedule. So, it'll be considered "retro".

If no one wants to use the info in the post because they fell it's inaccurae or for some other reason, no problem. I'd never know it and if I did, it wouldn't bother me. I posted what I found and have stuck on my system.

Looking at the satellite images I can find, I'm pretty comfortable with what I posted and have flying --- it's just a game, right?

YMMV
John
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

The T-37B Tweet is a twin-engine jet used for training joint specialized undergraduate pilot training students in fundamentals of aircraft handling, and instrument, formation and night flying. The twin engines and flying characteristics of the T-37B give student pilots the feel for handling the larger, faster T-38 Talon or T-1A Jayhawk.

The T-6A Texan II is a single-engine, two-seat primary trainer designed to train Joint Primary Pilot Training, or JPPT, students in basic flying skills common to U.S. Air Force and Navy pilots. The T-6A will be used to train JPPT students, providing the basic skills necessary to progress to one of four training tracks: the Air Force bomber-fighter or the Navy strike track, the Air Force airlift-tanker or Navy maritime track, the Air Force or Navy turboprop track and the Air Force-Navy helicopter track.

What you are going to see in the future is joint pilot training with a common aircraft. As we get more capable aircraft such as the F-22 (remember it suppose to do what 10 F-15s can do) you are going to need less and less pilots. By combining pilot training into one airframe you save money.

The T-37 is a very simple subsonic jet to fly. Its top speed is only 360 mph. Alot of performance BIZjets can beat it. The instructor pilot sets beside you keeping a close eye on you. Basics...Basics...Basics..

Also remember, the T-37 first flew in the 50s, so its time to replace it. With a top speed of 320 miles per hour, the T-6 II will not be that much of a difference....

When you move to the T-38 its like a racecar... Totally different animal....
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

I never intended this thread to be about the planes themselves nor to argue benefits, history or anything like that.

I stuck what I had found and am doing on my own system up here for others to use or not as they see fit. If it never gets used by others, fine. If it does, that's fine too.

I'm outta this thread.
John
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

We discussed doing a compete USAF training package for each of the bases, since there is a dedicated AI T-37 currently undergoing testing and an AI only T-38 model being developed. Combo that with HT's BE400/T-1 Jayhawk model and you have all but the T-6 II for AI aircraft packages.

That would be fantastic right??? Well it would also have to wait quite a while, maybe 6 months before it could be released due to the complexity of such a package and waiting for the T-38 model to be done.

Instead we will be releasing what we have, as we get it done, so as not to endlessly delay good AI models from being released to the sim world.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Don H
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Don H »

Haven't been in in awhile, because of real life issues, but I still wonder why we still fight over "real as it gets" "Present ONLY" AI, as opposed to "retro", even a week ago??? :x

There are a LOT of us old codgers out here who will continue to welcome, and USE retro aircraft, paints, and afcads/scenery, drmweaver2. I, for one, will appreciate and install your package.

Can they be interwoven? Maybe not. But I have multiple packages/timeperiods loaded on my system, (Thank You Bill Lyons, et al)
so I look forward to ANY package, whether it be true to tomorrow, or yesterday, or even just based on fact, (fictional). If I wanted pure truth today on my system, I would have to spend more time changing things DAILY, than I would flying. (Oh, I do that now, lol)

So keep 'em coming, I'll use 'em, with thanks.
Don H
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

Don H wrote: drmweaver2. I, for one, will appreciate and install your package.
Sorry, won't happen.

I won't be posting about anything I am working on on these boards any longer. I've been labelled essentially persona non grata.

Too bad. I think I did contribute and could have contributed more.
John
flyerkg
Major
Major

T-38 Package Request

Post by flyerkg »

I am new to this forum and hopefully I am not too far off by asking about any possible T-38 packages.
Over the past few years I have been working with the FSD T-38. You may have seen my Laughlin AFCADs for FS9 at AVSIM.com
These models eat frame rates for breakfast.
I recently was inspired to try to repaint a depiction of one of the IFF T-38s at Moody. I understand these will be moving to Laughlin?

Keith
Attachments
MOODY38 IFF.jpg
MOODY38 IFF.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Don't know about packages but two of us (Aerogator and me) are working on an AI T-38.

Currently LOD 1 (closest model) is about 4000 polys, substanially less than the one in your post.
Nope, no idea when it will be finished, takes time. LOD 1 is currently being beta tested to fix any problems before doing the further away models.

Home page also has two pics of slightly later models.
You just have to keep on hitting F5 to refresh the page until the preview pics appear.
Attachments
talontest.jpg
talontest.jpg (58.05 KiB) Viewed 969 times
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

drmweaver2 wrote:So the USAF stuck new pilots straight into jets with no other flight training? That's just stupid, if you ask me, for too many reasons to go into here. The Navy has obviously thought differently - for decades and apparently the USAF has decided the Navy-way is the better way - at least for the immediate future - that's not a service-rivalry-based comment. It's based on economics and flight-training logic (you probably should learn to taxi under control before you try going supersonic).
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I read it as the Navy has no jet trainer. Correct? If so guess you forgot the T-45 replaced another jet the T-2 about 6 years ago.
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

drmweaver2
Just an FYI. I think Moody AFB is getting out of the training busness and is going to be a Combat Search and Rescue type Base. The last I heard was the trainers were moving out. The 347 Rescue Wing re-desginated to the 23 Wing with the A-10 from Pope moving down to join them.
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

That's cool. Things change in the real world.

---
The bottom of this post was completely unwarrented and not needed. edited by MAIW Staff
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

The Air Force always had some sort of basic flight indoctrination for many years. In 1952 it was the T-34 Mentor single engine prop, then transition to T-37s. Then the Pilot Indoctrination Program (PIP) using T-41 (Cessna 172) starting in 1968 to continue to motivate Academy students. In 1973 this T-41 training continued at Hondo Field, Tx and used the T-41 until the 1990s. The T-3A Firefly was a low-wing replacement for the T-41 indoctrination for several years until it was cancelled. Now there is a civilian-contracted program Initial Flight Screening (IFS) that Air Force Student Pilots go through prior to T-37/T-6. Initially, it was 50 hrs, and now I believe it is down to 25 hrs. Students go through this training under Part 61 and 141 and receive intense training prior to starting UPT.

There are Air Force Student Pilot who enter the T-37/T-6 with no other prior flight training and do just fine and there are some who enter with many logged hours and ratings and do not graduate for different reasons.
Historically, students either fail to adapt to the environment, i.e. physiologal incidents, become indifferent to training, i.e. exam failures or attitudes of indifference, "I don't really want to be a pilot, I just enjoy being in the airplane or around the airplane." or "I don't want to deal with these sorts of stresses, I just like flying", or become subject to external circumstances and self-eliminate themselves.

As far as rivalry is concerned, Student Naval Aviators who go JSUPT at Vance AFB and then transition back to CNATRA to complete their Advanced pipelines are considered "from the other place", as I was onced described. I was also advised by the same Helo instructor that, "the Navy leaves the spoon in the cockpit for self-feeding".

The instructor's comments were solely from his experience dealing with a variety of students who started in T-37s, but completed their training under Naval Air Training Command instructions and not because he had completed any portion of the AETC training syllabus.

Not to argue the point but there are risks to all pilot training methodology, but historically, there have been formal screening opportunities available before going straight to jets.
Calvin Gwin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Calvin Gwin »

What about the Diamond aircraft? I remember reading a couple years ago an article about some diamonds being ferried to the USAF
Aren't you a little fat to be a Stormtrooper?
matias
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by matias »

The Diamonds or better known as Katanas are flying like no other out of the air force academy. See em everyday that I am there using cool callsigns!