The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Swedish Gripens ?

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
BurnersGo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Swedish Gripens ?

Post by BurnersGo »

MIKE JG wrote:Here's the scoop on this package and its current status:

Back in 2007 I started work on this package when Kevin created the model. The original intent was to do the package in two or three parts. The first part was to be the Gripens of F7 based at Satenas AB and includes the C-130s that are based there as well. I even created scenery for Satenas AB based on what few pictures existed of the base. (The Swedes are very secretive about their military). I finished the scenery and the rest of the stuff required for Satenas. However in creating the package and doing the serial number research for the F7 based Gripens, I realized that the number of aircraft that are part of that unit far exceeds the real life parking capacity of Satenas AB. So that presented a problem in that I have all these Gripens and not enough parking spaces to host them all. So I began seeking alternative places to place them for the package. So between John Stinstrom and I, we managed to create even more custom scenery for this package by creating the base at Uppsala where the Swedes do their tactical training. In addition to this, Mike MacIntyre created the FDE for this model so that the aircraft can land in the 800m that the Swedes use to land on their network of highway bases throughout the country.

So between Satenas, Uppsala and a custom made highway base that I made, plus sending about 7 Gripens to the UK for the week, I managed to fit them all in to Satenas even though the place looks like it's overflowing with Gripens.

Then we started some basic testing and we quickly realized that the custom made highway base was in a different place on pretty much everyone's individual FS9 setup. I made the base using a road network that is default in FS9. It also uses default terrain mesh for that part of the world. However anyone who has anything other than default road networks or terrain mesh in that part of Sweden will not see the highway base in the correct location. So once I realized that, I pretty much scrapped the idea for a highway base. That then left me with 6 Gripens that had no place to park at Satenas. So that was the first monkey wrench in the package that brought its progress to a halt.

Since then I've moved on to different things with the intent of one day getting back to this package to get it finished. Kevin made a lot of customized loadouts for just these Swedish Gripens so they absolutely will get released sometime soon, either in a finished package or not.

Since this package was first started, we've since moved to our standard MAIW scenery libraries. So the scenery in this package, does not conform to those libraries and duplicates a lot of files. So that needs to be sorted out if this is going to get into an official MAIW package.

Then when I started picking this package up again I realized that in the two years since, the serials for the F7 Gripens had probably changed. So a quick check revealed that indeed many of them had changed and we can no longer be certain which aircraft are flying and which are not. So now I'm faced with picking out some aircraft to simply remove from the package. In addition, new textures had to be created which is where this package currently is.

So my intentions now are to release Satenas and Uppsala with the aircraft and go from there. But before I do that, I have to sort out the scenery first since we combined Satenas, Uppsala and Malmen (John did that base as well) all into a single folder which won't work now.

So.........hang in there.
Hi Mike,

I had that same problem. Not just with Satenas, but also with Kallax and Ronneby. They are civil / military airports, and the Gripens are parked on large aprons, no shelters, nothing. The way I dealt with it was like this.

As far as I can see, the list of aircraft posted a bit further up is accurate. I presently have 18 Gripens flying out of Satenas, but only on Saturday & Sunday are they parked there. During the week, you will see 8 standing there at the most, the rest is flying. If you check out Google Maps, you will see 23 parking spots for Gripens. Adjacent to the parking spots is a group of hangars, and a single one opposite them. I put a few parking spots between / around those those, and ended up with 30 spots. That still leaves about 15-20 unaccounted for.

If you put 6-8 of those at Uppsala permanently, and another 8 at EGQS and EBFS for an Exercise ( that's what I did ), you can easily fiddle with the rest and always have a few parking spots to spare. My Gripens fly to Finland, Denmark, the UK, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy, The Netherlands and the Czech Republic on a regular basis, some aircraft only returning home on the weekend. That way you can even have visitors from the other Swedish bases .....

Perhaps some Gripens could even park INSIDE the hangars ?!
Cheers

BurnersGo
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Yea that's pretty much what I did way back when I stared working on it. They were literally parked all over the base which is not very accurate. It's workable, it's just a matter of trying to make it somewhat realistic.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
BurnersGo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by BurnersGo »

I talked to a swedish colleague of mine today.

He called an old buddy of his, who is still in the Swedish Air Force, and asked him.

Basically, there are 3 squadrons based at ESIB, each having about 10-11 Gripens allocated to them. They are presently only flying about 8 per squadron, due to cost-saving exercises.

Also, the fact that so many Gripens are assigned to each of the three remaining Fighter Units is attributed to the fact that all the other bases were shut down.

BUT, that doesn't mean that all of them are flying / in use.

Many are in storage, as the old fighter bases have hangars that are still in use.

Also, Uppsala has a larger number of Gripens based there that are originally assigned to the three Fighter Wings. There is also quite a bit of military parking at Östersund / Frösön Air Base ( Västerhus ), at least according to Google Maps. Malmen is primarily Helis now. Vidsel Air Base ( ESPE ) supposedly hides a few as well ;-)

Don't know which serial numbers to select, but I think it's safe to assume that a max. number of 24 Gripens per base ( ESIB, ESPA and ESDF ) are operational. Give or take 24 total Gripens at Uppsala ( F 16 ) and a handful abroad, at least you could put about 100 in the package.

The rest you could maybe supply to replace the ones flying with other serial numbers as more data is available later ?!

Hope that helps
Cheers

BurnersGo
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

That does actually quite a bit. I think what I'll end up doing is putting a "representative" number of Gripens in the package for each location and then you guys can do with it as you please when you get your hands on it. The main thing is to get each model variation included.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
BurnersGo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by BurnersGo »

MIKE JG wrote:That does actually quite a bit. I think what I'll end up doing is putting a "representative" number of Gripens in the package for each location and then you guys can do with it as you please when you get your hands on it. The main thing is to get each model variation included.
Glad to help !

BTW, don't forget that the Hungarian Gripens are on lease from Sweden ( that accounts for some more that are "misplaced" ;-)) and the Czech Republic bought a few as well from Sweden.

So, if we do a rough count, I do believe that 100 total actually operational Gripens for Sweden is a good bet.
Cheers

BurnersGo
JohnTenn
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by JohnTenn »

Time for an update?

Scenery by GvB
Attachments
ESDF_JAS39.jpg
gvbeek
Captain
Captain

Post by gvbeek »

Please. please, please

Nice to see your aircraft in a well known scenery.
- Gert van B.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think I missed that scenery, anybody got a link?

Gert,
Have you thought about uploading your collection to the Hangar, in one collection so that people who missed some of your work can enjoy it?
Steve
gvbeek
Captain
Captain

Post by gvbeek »

Send you a PM.

EDIT: ESDF send to the Hangar.
- Gert van B.
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

I have the paints complete.

I have used the A and B models for the aircraft CFG.

The paints are compatible with C and D versions after a change to texture names.

Are members here willing to accept the paints separately and then create their own flightplans and loadout configurations to share on this forum?

I have flightplans which Gert van Beek shared with me. I have modified his aircraft allocation slightly.

John
Attachments
ESIB_JAS39.jpg
ESCM_JAS39.jpg
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

I have been reliably informed that the texture folders for Gripen 220 and 249 do not have weapons and lightmap textures.

Easy fix, copy the missing textures from a texture folder near them place the textures in the folders currently missing these textures.

There is a paint by Tranquil depicting 210 in the 75th anniversary scheme. This paint was done for a C model.
If you wish to use this texture on an A model then simply rename the texture from WSAI_JAS39C_T to WSAI_JAS39A_T.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Cunningly simple fixes there, John.
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Thank you for these paints. Will there be a package with dds textures? I would hate to go through all of these textures changing them to dds only to find out another package with dds textures is coming out.
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

I have saved each texture as a 32 bit tga which can be opened with DxtBmp or Image tool.

I do not have FSX so I do not know if the Alpha channel is the same.

I you want these 32 bit textures I will gladly share them.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

I will take the 32 bit tga textures. I sent you a PM with my email incase you don't want to upload the textures to the library.