The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MA ANG F-15C's Over Vermont

Let's see em! Please use a third party image hoster such as photobucket.com or postimage.org and copy the link to the screenshot here between image tags.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

MA ANG F-15C's Over Vermont

Post by mikewmac »

These screenshots of John Young's MA ANG JYAI F-15C's were taken in P3D v4.1 flying over Lake Champlain and the Lake Champlain Valley of Vermont. The afterburner is my personal P3D v4.1 modification of Steve Holland's FS9 afterburner effect file, which I was testing when I took these screenshots.

MA ANG 85-108, 85-113, 85-118 and 85-122 in a four ship echelon left formation flying over Vermont's Lake Champlain Valley.

MA ANG 85-113 flying over the Lake Champlain Bridge with Port Henry, NY just ahead.

MA ANG 85-108 flying over Lake Champlain with Shelburne Point and Shelburne Bay in the near background and Burlington, VT and Burlington IAP in the more distant background.
    Mike M.
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin
    Version: FS9

Re: MA ANG F-15C's Over Vermont

Post by Firebird »

Those first two remind me of the film Fail Safe.
    Steve
    Reggie
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reggie »

How did you get them to fly in formation? Excellent work!

Reggie
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Firebird wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 15:02 Those first two remind me of the film Fail Safe.

Steve,

Maybe if I had used four FSX JYAI B-58 Hustlers instead the screenshots would have been even more remindful of Fail Safe? :lol:
      Mike M.
      mikewmac
      MAIW Veteran
      MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Reggie wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 15:53 How did you get them to fly in formation? Excellent work!

Reggie

Reggie,

It was accomplished using four virtual way points appropriately located and spaced apart from which the four JYAI F-15C's could spawn from and fly towards my location at Burlington IAP (KBTV). After a while in this particular scenario the JYAI F-15C's separate and begin their individual VFR approaches into KBTV.

Besides testing my afterburner mod I was also testing if this technique for creating AI formation flights that I developed for use in FS9 would also work in P3D v4.1. It took a couple of adjustments, but I got it working and now I am continuing to optimize it for longer AI formation flights, airbase flybys, etc. :smt002
        Mike M.
        Reggie
        Captain
        Captain

Post by Reggie »

Amazing!
        Joseph29
        Colonel
        Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I always like seeing these formation screenshots. And where did you get these paints? The only JYAI F-15's I have in my P3D is Lakenheath and Mountain Home (although Mountain Home is a bit out of date).
        Firebird
        MAIW Admin
        MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

mikewmac wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 16:21
        Firebird wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 15:02 Those first two remind me of the film Fail Safe.

Steve,

Maybe if I had used four FSX JYAI B-58 Hustlers instead the screenshots would have been even more remindful of Fail Safe? :lol:
        Definitely of that time period but I was thinking about when the President ordered the F-102s(I think) to afterburner to try and catch the bombers until they ran out out of fuel and crashed into the Arctic. That was what immediately came to mind.

It really is a good film and I recommend people give it a watch. Another very good film of that time, also filmed in B&W, of a military cold war theme is The Bedford Incident.
        Steve
        mikewmac
        MAIW Veteran
        MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Joseph29 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 01:43 I always like seeing these formation screenshots. And where did you get these paints? The only JYAI F-15's I have in my P3D is Lakenheath and Mountain Home (although Mountain Home is a bit out of date).

The MA ANG F-15C textures are from a private collection and I don't know if they will ever be released publicly. Sorry.
          Mike M.
          mikewmac
          MAIW Veteran
          MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Firebird wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 09:40 Definitely of that time period but I was thinking about when the President ordered the F-102s(I think) to afterburner to try and catch the bombers until they ran out out of fuel and crashed into the Arctic. That was what immediately came to mind.

It really is a good film and I recommend people give it a watch. Another very good film of that time, also filmed in B&W, of a military cold war theme is The Bedford Incident.

Steve,

If I remember correctly B-58 Hustlers were the bombers depicted in Fail Safe, but I had forgotten about the interceptors that were dispatched to try to catch them. If they were delta wing they could have been either F-102's or F-106's, neither of which were known for their great range and with tanks they couldn't go supersonic.

I just found Fail Safe on Amazon Prime, so I think I'll watch it and refresh my old and overtaxed memory. :lol:
            Mike M.
            mikewmac
            MAIW Veteran
            MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Steve,

Your memory was correct. I just watched a YouTube video clip of Fail Safe and the interceptors were indeed F-102A Deuces. :smt023

Unfortunately the very short clip that showed them supposedly lighting their burners actually showed three line abreast Deuces each simultaneously firing an AIM-4 Falcon missile. :shock:

How the film's editors mistook the firing of air to air missiles for the Deuces' afterburners igniting is anybody's guess. Probably it was all the fire and smoke that occurred when the Falcon missiles' rockets ignited. :lol: :lol: :lol:
              Mike M.
              Firebird
              MAIW Admin
              MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I knew that they were B-58s trying to get through and I had an inkling that they were F-102s but they used a bit of everything in the film, F-101s, F-104s and if my memory serves me correctly they used library film of Israeli Mirages as MiGs.
              I believe that the USAF refused to give help as it was portraying that their system was flawed.
              Steve