The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

LYNX FAMILY.

Let's see em! Please use a third party image hoster such as photobucket.com or postimage.org and copy the link to the screenshot here between image tags.
mins
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

LYNX FAMILY.

Post by mins »

^ ^...
Attachments
-2020-jan-11-003.jpg
-2020-jan-11-001.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: LYNX FAMILY.

Post by John Young »

Looking very good Mins.

So this is an AI Lynx you have built for FS9 and possibly FSX? Is that right please and will you be uploading it?

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

That's looking great, mins!

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by mins »

John Young wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 15:04 Looking very good Mins.

So this is an AI Lynx you have built for FS9 and possibly FSX? Is that right please and will you be uploading it?

John
Hello, John.

This is Ai Lynx for FS9. I only have FS9.

So I can't make it with a different version(FSX,P3D). And I can't even test it.

There is only one LOD. I don't know how to make a Multi LOD yet. So I'm studying.

I'm trying to make a good model like you.

Thank you.
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

gsnde wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 17:35 That's looking great, mins!

From mobile hence short
Hello, Martin.

I'm experimenting with various projects. "He that would eat the fruit must climb the tree". :smt003

I don't know when I'll show up.

Look forward to it.

Thank you.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

That looks excellent!
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Look great !

And the Carrier scenery too ;-)

Congratulations
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Mins,

Did you use Gmax to make the model?

John
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

looking good min, only comment from me is the wildcats nose 'top' should be bit more flatter & exhaust doesn't look right! But then again, I shouldn't make comments as never made a ai a/c for FS!! Overall job well done & hope to have it in my sim soon!!
Dave
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

John Young wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 14:56 Mins,

Did you use Gmax to make the model?

John
Hello, John.

I use FSDS * 3D MAX.

Thank you.
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

merlin101 wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 16:32 looking good min, only comment from me is the wildcats nose 'top' should be bit more flatter & exhaust doesn't look right! But then again, I shouldn't make comments as never made a ai a/c for FS!! Overall job well done & hope to have it in my sim soon!!
Dave
Hello, Dave.

I can't make exactly the same as the actual model.

I'm now starting to make a model.

I'm not good enough. Please understand.

And please compare carefully what is different from the model.

Thank you.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hi Mins,

I'm not sure why you need to use FSDS and 3DMax. How do you integrate the Lynx model made from two sources?

Anyway, to make LODs with Gmax (should be the same for 3DMax):

1. Select all the parts of the primary model and from the top menu select "Group". Save this as say, "Lynx_LOD_400". "Lynx" can be any name you want.

2. Clone "Lynx_LOD_400" and hide the original group. Ungroup the clone.

3. Reduce the number of polygons by about 15-20%.

4. Rename the parts in this new LOD so they are unique. For example, "fuselage" that was used in LOD_400, can become "fuselage_200". You must not have duplicate part names anywhere through the LODs.

5. Group the re-named parts and call this "Lynx_LOD_200".

6. Clone this LOD and ungroup it, hide the previous LODs

7. Do the same again. Reduce the polygons by another 15-20% and rename the parts, this time to say for example, "fuselage_100". Group the parts and call this "Lynx_LOD_100. Remember to do the polygon count in "mesh mode" (triangles). "Polygon" mode will give you half the value (rectangles).

8. Carry on like this until you have 7 LODs all with decreasing numbers of polygons:

Lynx_LOD_400
Lynx_LOD_200
Lynx_LOD_100
Lynx_LOD_70
Lynx_LOD_40
Lynx_LOD_20
Lynx_LOD_10

LOD_10 is just a simple double sided paper aeroplane.

9. Compile as normal.

This numbering sequence is the one I tend to use regularly, but you can adjust it so long as you start with 400 and go downwards. LOD viewing distance depends on the user screen resolution. If you want a greater viewing distance, reduce the number values after 400. The expense though might be frame rate if you have a large number of the aircraft parked.

Some tips for reducing polygons: less detailed pilots, bevelled wheels to single thickness wheels from LOD_100 downwards. No wheel rotation from LOD_100 downwards (saves the "_slow" or "_blurred" tire parts). Don't be tempted to remove bladed aerials too quickly - that's usually quite noticeable and they don't consume many polygons in any case. The hardest LOD to do is LOD_20 because by then most small parts have been deleted and you are only left with the airframe mesh to play with. Try and keep the polygon loss as invisible as you can as you progress through the LODs.

Hope that helps.

John
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

Wow! John.

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

I mainly produce FSDS. And release the model.

3d max makes something like an accessory.

Your method of production will be very helpful.

Most of my production skills are from you.

Thank you again for your help.
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

They look fantastic, please bring them to P3D if you can its a much needed model.

Great effort, keep it up 😀
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Mins, don't think about the FSX / P3D versions of your aircraft. If you give your approval your FS9 modrls will be converted like the ones from all the other modelers.

Looking forward to the moment you finally declare your great models completed. You have so many....

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Always pleased to help someone who is prepared to stick with it and produce the results you have Mins. Not many people get that far, particularly when English is not their first language, so all credit to you.

I'm also glad you revealed your project now. I've been researching the Lynx/Wildcat myself because it has the greatest mentions in my "thoughts on next project" thread, along with the Jet Provost that I'm working to finish soon. I'll now drop the Lynx/Wildcat to follow, because with a bit of work on the LODs and Martin's comment about FSX/P3Dv4 conversion, you will be quite capable of filling the gap yourself. That would be a much better achievement all round.

If you are uncertain how to shape a part to get the detail right, as Dave has indicated, we can crack that too. Just indicate any problem you can't resolve and we'll be glad to help.

John