The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Sigonella NAS

Let's see em! Please use a third party image hoster such as photobucket.com or postimage.org and copy the link to the screenshot here between image tags.
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Sigonella NAS

Post by Kulbit »

Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Sigonella NAS

Post by Joecoastie »

Where can the scenery for Sigonella be found ?
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

Joecoastie wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 21:44 Where can the scenery for Sigonella be found ?
Hello,

You can find it here : https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=184531

file : licz_js.zip
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Note from my FSX Poseidon manual: You will need John Stinstrom’s scenery of Sigonella. The file is called “licz_js.zip” and is available at Avsim.com.Since I was unable to contact John, I have taken the liberty of revising his AFCAD file, “Sigonella LICZ_ADE9_JS.BGL” a tad in order to accommodate the Poseidons. I have also substituted the VP-45 aircraft in his original traffic file. The two files are in the Poseidon zip. The scenery also works well in FSX, but you must remove “Sigonella1_VTPH.BGL” or some unwanted lakes will appear on the airfield.

John
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Post by Kulbit »

I've reworked the John Stinstrom’s scenery for P3D, aligned the airport with the real position (in the sim the airport is wrong located some miles off the real position, added some new buildings and added the new resident traffic : USNavy P8,US Marines Osprey, italian ATR 72MP and the sigonella detatchment of Amendola's drones.
jeanpy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by jeanpy »

Death87
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by Death87 »

Kulbit wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 12:13 I've reworked the John Stinstrom’s scenery for P3D, aligned the airport with the real position (in the sim the airport is wrong located some miles off the real position, added some new buildings and added the new resident traffic : USNavy P8,US Marines Osprey, italian ATR 72MP and the sigonella detatchment of Amendola's drones.
Ciao ma e possibile trovare lo scenario rielaborato da te per p3d con la posizione reale ?
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Death87 wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 12:59
Kulbit wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 12:13 I've reworked the John Stinstrom’s scenery for P3D, aligned the airport with the real position (in the sim the airport is wrong located some miles off the real position, added some new buildings and added the new resident traffic : USNavy P8,US Marines Osprey, italian ATR 72MP and the sigonella detatchment of Amendola's drones.
Ciao ma e possibile trovare lo scenario rielaborato da te per p3d con la posizione reale ?
In English please on this Forum ;-)
CorvettePilot
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by CorvettePilot »

Where can i download the P3D version ?

ty
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Death87 wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 12:59
Translation: Hello but is it possible to find the scenario reworked by you for p3d with the real position?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Has JS okayed P3D conversions of his scenery?
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

As JY says upthread, he was unable to contact John Stinstrom. I don't know if there's some blanket authorisation he may have given somewhere in the past. I've done some updating of his stuff for myself for P3D, but without altering any of JS's original work (I've replaced the AFCAD, the position and the background image). Other than the Z-plane flickering in some buildings, it stands up pretty well in P3D. The only one I've made public (through JY) is Grosseto, which I believe was a joint effort between Giorgio and JS and was done with Giorgio's knowledge.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

This is the route of the matter.
IF there is no authorisation then we are left with Kulbit announcing that he has converted it. He is morally unable to distribute his work but the announcement itself creates a desire within others that will want him to share.

If it is Kulbit's first conversion he has a right to feel good about his success and it is a human trait that makes us want to announce it. Unfortunately it has side effects.
Steve
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Hi Gents,
when I was working on the Pratica di Mare Airshow package, I asked to John S. if I could merge his scenery with some objects and buildings created by Tim Mayhew.
He replied that we (at MAIW) can do what we want with his works, if these modifications are released under the "MAIW umbrella".
This is why I've used Grosseto and Pratica in the latest Typhoon pack.
As said, I don't have anymore his mail or PM. I also remember forwarding that email or PM, to someone else here at MAIW, but I don't remember who, sorry.
Consider also that both sceneries, are already converted for FSX.

Giorgio
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Thanks, Giorgio. That's how I understood the situation. As far as I am concerned, as long as John Stinstrom is credited with the original work that we've adapted to update it and make it available in the later sims, and only via MAIW, we are working within the spirit of his contributions. It would, however, be useful if that email or PM could be found!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The small update I did to the AFCAD and traffic file in John's Sigonella package for the P8's, still required the download of that package. That in itself is a full acknowledgement to John, never mind the acknowledgement in the manual and on this forum and my attempts to contact him without success.

I could have produced the P8 AFCAD from scratch myself (Microsoft had already done 90% of the work for both of us) and ended up with the same result as starting from John's file. There didn't seem much point in that.

Adding the P8 capability updates John's package and keeps his work alive. I think he would like that. I don't feel "morally unable" to do that as Steve suggests, but if I am wrong, I will of course provide a V2 of the Poseidon packages with the Sigonella element removed.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Armed with further information that Giorgio has supplied then I believe the case made by Tim to be true.

In that If John S is given due credit and if the mod is released through MAIW then it is considered within the spirit and rules specified by John. It changes though if the mods are released outside of MAIW as this seems to go against the wishes of John S.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I don't believe I ever had any direct dealings with JS (sadly), but his body of work is amazing and fully deserves to be kept alive in FSX and P3D through MAIW. I think Giorgio has given us enough to confirm that we are working within the spirit of his wishes, and I will continue on that basis. I have a couple of other JS airfields that I've updated for P3D (including a couple which I need to get finished for the Typhoon package!), and I could see something of a long-term project in bringing his work to the newer sims. If I could find an easy way of dealing with the texture issues that would be great, but I suspect that to do so might require more mods to his original work than might be regarded as acceptable. However, I will work on that in the New Year. One of the limitations of many of his sceneries is that there's little illumination, and it would be interesting to see if that could be added without substantial alterations.