The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Windows 8

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
ronniegj

Windows 8

Post by ronniegj »

Check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo4anqp39z4 Clearly they intend that your interface experience between phone/tablet/desktop will be basically the same. We will be looking to replace our current monitors with a touch sensitive one soon. Wonder if this will only be a shell over Win 7, or are we going to have to deal with a whole host of new compatibility issues? It does look kool!

Ron
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Windows 8

Post by Firebird »

Jeez, just how much can they screw up an OS.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

I'm still using Windows XP!!!!!!!!!!! Geez!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
nigelf
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by nigelf »

I am still using XP as well. Why change what you are comfortable with. :shock:
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Problem is that it forces the software manufactures to adapt to the new OS. Just like we see less and less support for FS9, I think we'll start to see less and less support for WinXP.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

I got Windows 7 for the new machine. It's not bad.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Dark Morelia
Captain
Captain

Post by Dark Morelia »

That OS in that video looks horrible. No way I could handle having a touch screen like that, unless it had some sort of fingerprint-repelling force-field.

I'm reinstalling everything on my desktop machine at the moment, and I put 7 on it. Still not sure about it, still figuring out where everything is, and trying to find new versions of all my apps, drivers, etc.
I'm beginning to wish I'd just put XP back on it :| I might format it and start again yet :lol:
Drew >>

Kurosaki
Captain
Captain

Post by Kurosaki »

BadPvtDan wrote:I got Windows 7 for the new machine. It's not bad.
I enjoy windows 7 as well..as long as you've got the processor/ram behind it..its pretty nice.

XP aint bad either, but man, it drives me up the wall that it cant incorporate more than 2 gb of ram. I crash the comps on campus all the time with mapping and other graphics software.
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

It took me long enough to learn XP coming from a MAC so I'm not about to change systems until I'm forced too.

Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I was toying with the idea of going to XP 64, to get around the 3Gb memory limit but I understand 7 to be better for 64 bit so my next re-incarnation will use that. I am just glad that I avoided Vista.

<rant>
As for 8 :( , I avoided the Win7 phones because I hate the look. I do not want the biggest, ugliest phone OS in the world on my desk. Why is it that MS are telling me the way I want the interface to look. I don't want that crap in my face.
</rant>

Taking the idea to the extreme, does this mean that Flight won't need a joystick? Will you just move the stick with your finger on the screen?

I think I am losing the plot here. :roll:

Hopefully this is only the tablet interface for Win8 and I can rest easy.
Steve
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Firebird wrote: Taking the idea to the extreme, does this mean that Flight won't need a joystick? Will you just move the stick with your finger on the screen?
Sorry, can't resist
No, for that a 3D holographic experience will be introduced. You simply grab the holo-stick and fly. :mrgreen:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I think all those applet panels on the screen are user selectable. You could choose to have what you want. Also, there could be none visible. However, you might get used to having at least a few, as they are active and provide up to date information with out having to start a full program to get the info. Win 8 is heavily geared for multi-tasking, as are most of the new tablets.

I got an Acer Iconia Tab A500 last week, which has much of the same features. I'm still a little confused by the OS, but will learn it pretty soon. I already like the surfing the net on tablet, all except downloads from non android sites. BTW, Angry Birds will steal your life away.

The touch screen features would not appear in a program that was not created specifically to use the feature, therefore, FS will not have touch features, unless someone were to create an add-on to provide the support - can't really imagine a use for it though.

For the adventurist among you there is a pre-release beta available that you can try out. I'm gonna pass on that as I'm getting a little too old and thick headed to deal with something like a beta version of anything. Work the bugs out and then maybe...

P.S. I've actually grown to like Win 7 very much, and although my netbook still runs it, not a day goes by that I don't think about upgrading.

Ron