The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

64 bit OS

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
scottr5213
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

64 bit OS

Post by scottr5213 »

Has anyone ran into a problem in running MSFS 2004 in a 64 bit os (vista) dont want to go to Win 7
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: 64 bit OS

Post by BadPvtDan »

I ran it under 64bit Vista for a few years with no issues. I did not, though, have my install on the C drive under Program Files. I seem to recall some people having issues with permissions when it was installed in the default location.

I have upgraded to 64 bit 7 with FSX...again on a separate drive...no issues.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Vista x64 and 7 x64 -
Install it to ANY other folder apart from "Progam Files" and it works great.
Oh and "Program Files" on any other drive apart from the C: drive still can cause problems, avoid "Program Files" completely.

Running Win 7 x64 here.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

Weescotty wrote:Vista x64 and 7 x64 -
Install it to ANY other folder apart from "Progam Files" and it works great.
Oh and "Program Files" on any other drive apart from the C: drive still can cause problems, avoid "Program Files" completely.

Running Win 7 x64 here.
Kevin,

Is the "ANY other folder than Program Files" true for both FS9 and FSX or just FS9?

I have FS9 running from the Program Files folder on the only drive on my laptop using Win7 64 bit and it works fine other than a lot of initial security issues I had to overcome to make any changes to anything. It was a real pain and I'd like to avoid that on my new flightsim machine that I just built.

On the new machine I have all my flightsims including FSX on a separate SSD other than the one with my Win7 64 bit OS, but I named the folder Program Files. :(

Is that going to cause problems with both FS9 and FSX? So far I haven't had any problems with FSX, but I haven't tried to change or add anything yet and I haven't installed FS9 yet.

Mike M.
Last edited by mikewmac on 11 Jan 2012, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
    Mike M.
    Joecoastie
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

I, too, have FS9 installed under "Program Files" on a separate drive running under Win7 x64 and have had no problems at all. :|
    Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
    US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
    Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
    US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
    NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
    jaguar1
    Captain
    Captain

Post by jaguar1 »

Is there much difference between 32 bit and 64 bit in terms of running fs9 in windows 7?
    campbeme
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff
    Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

I run FS9 on my 64bit Vista set up from the programme files folder, the only issue I have is it will only run in full screen mode as soon as go to windows view the game still runs but the screen stays frozen.

No biggie for me.

Mark
    Mark
    Victory103
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Mike M,
    Of course after I get FSX installed and most of my MAIW packages ported over, I started seeing some threads on not putting FSX in any Program Files (including (x86)) for better performance on a Win 7 system. I haven't any huge issues except for the UIAnimation fix on my install. I'll wait to research more before I uninstall FSX.
    DUSTOFF
    ARMY PROPS
    NAVY SAR

-Chris
    btaylo24
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

I had it in /program files and had all sorts of access/authority issues. In the end had to re install it (just did it in a folder called /Microsoft off the root directory. Everything worked fine then.

So i'd advice changing the default.
    Barry
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

btaylo24 wrote:I had it in /program files and had all sorts of access/authority issues. In the end had to re install it (just did it in a folder called /Microsoft off the root directory. Everything worked fine then.

So i'd advice changing the default.
    Barry,

I think I will uninstall/reinstall my FSX like you did and then install FS9 in that same non-Program Files folder on my unique flightsim SSD. I haven't yet tried to change anything in FSX on my new machine, so I haven't had any problems, but changing anything in FS9 on my Windows 7 laptop was a nightmare for a while. I finally changed enough things to get it to accept my changes, but that was a couple of years ago and now I don't remember what I had to do. :lol: :lol:

Mike M.
      Mike M.
      sr01
      Major
      Major

Post by sr01 »

Mike
      For what it's worth, I'm running both FS2004 (one FS2004 Retro on a seperate drive) and FSX in Program files (X64) with no issues .BTW, I'm interested in your new setup and using a SSD ? Is it completely new or just the hard drive ?
      mikewmac
      MAIW Veteran
      MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

sr01 wrote:Mike
      For what it's worth, I'm running both FS2004 (one FS2004 Retro on a seperate drive) and FSX in Program files (X64) with no issues .BTW, I'm interested in your new setup and using a SSD ? Is it completely new or just the hard drive ?
      sr01,

I have a completely new computer that I built just before Christmas just for flight simulator use. I won't bore you with all the details, but I have one 128 GB SSD for the Windows 7 Pro OS and another for my flight sims. I also have a 1 TB 7200 rpm HD for other applications and data. I'm currently trying to decide on what to use as a backup HD using the pluggable HD connection I have built into the computer case.

This new computer boots up very fast and FSX, DCS A-10C and Falcon 4 BMS 4.32 load very fast, although I have not yet loaded them up with any addons.

I have held off on installing FS9 as I still have it on my older Windows XP 32 bit computer that I do most of my FS9 development work on. Getting my laptop with a Windows 7 64 bit OS to accept changes to anything in FS9 was a nightmare and I really don't want to go through that again with my new computer. :lol:

Mike M.
        Mike M.
        Weescotty
        MAIW Developer
        MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Any folder apart from "Program Files", will work just fine.

Microsoft in their infinite wisdom only apply the additional security to folders called "Program Files", irrespective of what drive it is (they are) on.
        Also turning off UAC helps - http://www.petri.co.il/disable-uac-in-windows-7.htm

Also finally when installing -
        Exit the automatic installer when you put in the CD.
        Explore the CD to find the setup file.
        Right click and select "Install As administrator"

All that will get rid of 99.9999999% of issues with Vista and 7. (32 or 64 bit)
        btaylo24
        MAIW Staff
        MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

99.9999999% ..wow so a 0.0000001% of a problem actually happening
        they are great odds so will do as you suggest!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK4-F_4EzwU
        Barry
        Firebird
        MAIW Admin
        MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I am not sure whether you an eternal optimist or an eternal pessimist. :lol:
        Steve
        petebramley
        MAIW Developer
        MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I think it depends on which way the wind blows

:)
        Pete B
        Retired and busier than ever !!
        mikewmac
        MAIW Veteran
        MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Weescotty wrote:Any folder apart from "Program Files", will work just fine.

Microsoft in their infinite wisdom only apply the additional security to folders called "Program Files", irrespective of what drive it is (they are) on.
        Also turning off UAC helps - http://www.petri.co.il/disable-uac-in-windows-7.htm

Also finally when installing -
        Exit the automatic installer when you put in the CD.
        Explore the CD to find the setup file.
        Right click and select "Install As administrator"

All that will get rid of 99.9999999% of issues with Vista and 7. (32 or 64 bit)
        Kevin,

So if I use the "belt and suspenders" approach and install FS9 and FSX as administrator in a folder named Microsoft Games on a separate drive from my Windows 7 64 bit OS and turn off the UAC when wanting to make any changes to FS9 or FSX, I should be free from all that extra security control?

Does anyone have any experience with either DCS A-10C or Falcon 4.0 / BMS 4.32 with respect to the Windows 7 64 bit OS security controls when wanting to make changes to either of those sims? Should I take all the same actions as for FS9 and FSX to make it easier to make changes to them or does the fact that they were supposedly written for use with the Windows 7 64 bit OS eliminate the need to do all that?

Mike M.
          Mike M.
          btaylo24
          MAIW Staff
          MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

Mike

I have the dcs a10 and not seen any issues with it ..yet

Not added anything to it, but it's all been fine
          Barry
          mikewmac
          MAIW Veteran
          MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

btaylo24 wrote:Mike

I have the dcs a10 and not seen any issues with it ..yet

Not added anything to it, but it's all been fine
          Barry,

That is my experience with it too, but I'm not sure what happens if and when we try to add anything to it. I assume you have it in a Program Files folder also?

Mike M.
            Mike M.
            btaylo24
            MAIW Staff
            MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

Mike

Yeah I have it all in default, no additions though... Not been on it much, having FSX F15E fun!
            Barry