The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

My Turn: FS9 won't boot up

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

My Turn: FS9 won't boot up

Post by MIKE JG »

Well, it's been many years since she went south on me but I guess it's my turn in the FS9 won't boot barrel.

So here's the symptoms:

It will load the main menu screen. However when you try to load any sort of flight, at any location, at any time of the day or season, it starts to boot but only gets to 1%, says something about loading scenery objects, and just hangs at 1% without ever finishing the install.

If I try to delete the FS9.CFG file, it gets to a point where it says that the installation of the Cessna 172SP has failed (even though the model is installed correctly) then proceeds to continue with the boot up going into full screen mode. However you never get past a blank black screen before it crashes back to the desktop.

I have been able to load a flight directly by running one of the flt files however the sim is frozen as soon as it boots up.

I have tried deleting the FS9.CFG file as mentioned above.
I have tried deleting the scenery.CFG file and that hasn't worked.
I've tried replacing the main FS9/Scenery folder from my backup, that hasn't worked.

My computer apparently installed a WinXP update 2 nights ago on it's own, wondering if this might have something to do with it. Not sure.

What I do know is that it has been running very slow these last couple days leading up to this. Last night it finally froze up after loading up a flight to check on a model and I haven't been able to get it to boot since then.

At this point, I'm out of ideas. Next step is to run my registry cleaner but that's probably not going to help. Might have to do a complete re-install which isn't a big deal since I just backed the whole thing up a couple weeks ago but it is a major pain to do.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: My Turn: FS9 won't boot up

Post by bismarck »

Not a good experience with the automatic update for XP (...or Vista...), In the past I must reinstall my PC two or three times after an update... :evil:

Have you tryied to start up XP from a previous "restore point"?

Giorgio
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by RKE »

Installed anything new in FS9 recently? FS9 CTDs are notoriously annoying to pinpoint - I've had the pleasure of trying to track down my fair share of corrupted texture files over the years :roll:
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Mike, it kinda sounds like a corruption of an important lib. If FS9 does not startup with a new fs9.cfg file and a default scenery.cfg with all addon scenery and afcads excluded then I think it is almost definite.

On your restore attempt make sure that your backup was before your last successful boot up. If it is then check that you are replacing all files and not just different ones. If I had to make a guess then I would look first at the \Flight Simulator 9\Modules folder. I did have problems with that before which were solved by just re-installind the modules in there from the original disks and/or Fs9.1 update then gradually re-installing all the addon modules that have collected over the years in there.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
-Mike G.

james84

Post by james84 »

Have you installed some scenery recently?
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Firebird wrote: If I had to make a guess then I would look first at the \Flight Simulator 9\Modules folder.
I had that problem once. Reinstalled the modules fixed it for me.
Les
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Well I just replaced my modules folder with the one from my last backup, about two weeks ago. No dice.

Still hangs at 1% "loading scenery objects"

No I haven't installed any scenery recently.

I did install an object library but have since removed those files but nothing changed.
-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Still no joy. Think I'm just going to re-install the whole kit.

It's been several years since I did a re-install.

Would any of you kind tech savy persons here mind writing up a very quick "how to" guide for an FS9 re-install for an XP users.

I'm sure others would benefit from this discussion as well.
-Mike G.

sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Mike
I just did this 2 weeks back for a friend with Parkinsons.
My method ( probably not the best as it IS time consuming) was to install the basic FS2004. Use the copy of all the WOA civil stuff that I'd put on an HD as I had a hard time with installing the WOA stuff for some reason. Install batches of MAIW 6 at a time . Rename the generic FS AI file .Add your scenary and terrain mesh addons
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Mike,

I make a backup of my FS folders like, Aircraft, Effects, Guages, Modules, Scenery. I then do a complete uninstall of FS then restart the PC using XP SP3. Then do a re-install of the basic FS platform. I then start FS9 to make sure everything is working and close it down again.
Then I replace those saved Aircraft, Effects, Guages, Modules, Scenery folders and restart the sim which then completes its file building. Seems to workout ok for my use however my one and only payware aircraft that I won in competion will not copy/paste so I have to reinstall it using its original installer exe.

Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Mike,
The simplest way, providing you have space, is
1. To rename the FS9 directory then your \My Documents\Flight Simulator Files then your FS9.cfg and then install again from scratch to the same location.
2. Once installed use the default settings and take off and land the default cessna, you don't have to go higher than 10' of the runway so you could do this without installing your joystick. Then exit cleanly.
3. Then install your FS9.1 patch.
4. Repeat step 2 again.

You should now have a fully operational FS 9.1.
If you have the space, copy or back that up - just in case.

Now you can start copying bits and pieces across from the original renamed folder. Although I would start by copying various settings across from your original fs9.cfg that you want to keep, or the whole thing. I would also then rename the newly created \My Documents\Flight Simulator Files folder to _new and rename the original to \My Documents\Flight Simulator Files.
Then try a flight. This would prove whether your fs9.cfg or a saved flight is a problem or not.

You can then replace folders at your own pace and test to see when you get the problem, knowing that with the two complete copies plus the active one you can back out any changes w/o having to start again from scratch.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Fortunately after restarting my computer (duh! :oops: ) it seems to have fixed itself.

It could be that this was all that was required or that a restart with a combination of replacing the modules or cfg file was the trick.

Either way it looks as if a reinstall will not be required although now I'm thinking about it as a way to clean house a little bit.

All very useful info in this thread though.
-Mike G.