The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Fs2004 files corrupted?

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
brad_gtfc
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Fs2004 files corrupted?

Post by brad_gtfc »

Hi all,
I don't know whether this is the right place as i am only a beginner, but i recently re-purchased Flight Sim 2004 after it broke last year. I had most of the MAIW Packages that where out but the disk 4 broke. I re-installed it and tried to go on it but it said that some MAIW scenary was missing and the game didnt load. I wanted to know whether uninstalling and re-installing would clear all Files so I can start fresh and put all packages and aircraft on there.

Thanks,
Brad
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Fs2004 files corrupted?

Post by Firebird »

Hi Brad.

I am not too clear on exactly what your problem is. Is it that FS9 is missing some files, or that some MAIW scenery is missing some?

If it is the MAIW scenery missing then you are correct that uninstalling and re-installing the specific package(s) will fix the scenery problem, providing that you add the scenery properly by following the readme.

If you think that the problem is FS9 related then uninstalling the MAIW packages won't fix that. It will need a complete FS9 uninstall/re-install.

Now if you uninstall FS9 the chances are that the MAIW stuff will still be left around as install scripts got very good under XP and only deleted folders when they were empty. So the chances are that you will still need to delete a lot manually.

However, it should be simple as you should be able to manually delete the \Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 folder and everything in it to start again from scratch.

Hope this covers your question.
Steve
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

You might also want to google "fs9 nocd patch" so that you won't have to use disk 4 every time you launch flight sim. There are two versions out there, one for fs9 ver9.0 and one for fs9 ver 9.1 (update to fs9 that corrects some roads and bridges issues). Using the appropriate file, you save your original fs9.exe somewhere safe and replace with the altered file that comes with the patch. All the patch does is eliminate the code that checks for disk 4, and just launches fs9 directly. That will save your disk 4, and reduce your physical workload. I've used the patch for years with no problems what so ever. One caution however. There are a number of sites that want to charge you a user fee to download these files, but if you look around, you will find sources that allow you to freely download the files.

Ron
brad_gtfc
Cadet
Cadet

Post by brad_gtfc »

Hi guys,
I've sorted that problem, just a few more now

Thanks again
Brad