The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

XFX Radeon 6950 Graphics Card Problem Running FS9

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

XFX Radeon 6950 Graphics Card Problem Running FS9

Post by mikewmac »

I built a new PC using Windows XP Pro as the OS just for working on FS9 projects. For some mysterious reason I can't seem to smooth out the jaggies on the image edges with the XFX Radeon 6950 2GB Double Dissipation graphics card, the latest AMD drivers and the latest AMD Catalyst Control Center (CCC). Everything installs properly and everything but the 3D settings in CCC seem to work fine. I have tried all kinds of combinations of the 3D settings in CCC and nothing seems to have any effect on the jaggies. :(

At first blush this seems very similar to the jaggies problem with NVIDIA cards that Steve explains above and for which he provides a workaround. The difference is that the AMD CCC 3D settings have an "override applications settings" option which I am using. :(

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so have you found an appropriate workaround for it? :?:

Mike M.
    Mike M.
    campbeme
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff
    Version: FSX

Re: XFX Radeon 6950 Graphics Card Problem Running FS9

Post by campbeme »

Hello Mike,

I have a ATI Radeon 3100 (stop giggling), I have all 3d settings set to be handled by application. I still get jagges in FS9 in window mode, but when in full screen mode it's as smooth as a beech volley ballers smooth bits. Weird thing is in FSX or P3D it's smooth in both modes of view.

Off topic ,
    Last weekend I also ran a batch program to convert all my AI textures to DXT 3 with MIPS, then ran another batch program to add alpha channel to all the textures. I did not get any FPS increase, but I no longer get any micro stutters which I think is great.

Mark
    Mark
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran
    Version: P3D

Re: XFX Radeon 6950 Graphics Card Problem Running FS9

Post by mikewmac »

campbeme wrote:Hello Mike,

I have a ATI Radeon 3100 (stop giggling), I have all 3d settings set to be handled by application. I still get jagges in FS9 in window mode, but when in full screen mode it's as smooth as a beech volley ballers smooth bits. Weird thing is in FSX or P3D it's smooth in both modes of view.

Off topic ,
    Last weekend I also ran a batch program to convert all my AI textures to DXT 3 with MIPS, then ran another batch program to add alpha channel to all the textures. I did not get any FPS increase, but I no longer get any micro stutters which I think is great.

Mark
    Mark,

I have always run FS9 in windows mode in the past so I could easily pause and minimize it to do other things. Consquently I was doing the same on this new whiz bang PC I built and the jaggies were terrible. After I posted my problem here and on other forums it occurred to me to try full screen view and the jaggies all disappeared. As you said all the images are now "as smooth as a beach volley baller's smooth bits". :o :shock: 8) :lol:

Stupid me I should have tried this several days ago and saved myself a lot of time, pain and suffering. :oops: :lol:

I just maxed every display setting in FS9, locked the FPS at 60 and I'm getting an average of 60 FPS and this is with my 32 bit XP Pro OS limiting the memory usage to ~3 GB. If and when I get dual boot set up with Windows 7 it should be even faster. :shock: :lol:

No more slow loading and bogging down for me when I'm developing new FS9 stuff! :smt002 :smt003

Mike M.
      Mike M.