The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

FS9 blurry ground texture

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Pixy
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

FS9 blurry ground texture

Post by Pixy »

I apologize for making a thread again, but this problem annoyed me.

I got a new graphic card, GeForce GT 430, it's not good for gaming, but enough for FS9/FSX. After I installed nVidia Inspector, I set stuffs for FS9 and launched it, then the problem (always) appeared. See the pic below:

It's always like that, you'll have to be at 20.000FT to see it clearly. Can somebody help me please?

Here's some details about my settings:

Thanks for the advance!
Tatit
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: FS9 blurry ground texture

Post by Firebird »

Try setting the filtering in FS9 from Trilinear to Bilinear.
Basically Trilinear means buffering 3 frames in advance and bilinear 2, I think. (If I am totally wrong here somebody please correct me.

You can have the fastest graphics card on the planet but if you can't read it off the HD fast enough you will get blurring.

See if that makes any difference.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: FS9 blurry ground texture

Post by gsnde »

I kind of remembered something different, so I looked it up in Wikipeia....
Filtering methods

This section lists the most common texture filtering methods, in increasing order of computational cost and image quality.

Nearest-neighbor interpolation
Nearest-neighbor interpolation is the fastest and crudest filtering method — it simply uses the color of the texel closest to the pixel center for the pixel color. While fast, this results in a large number of artifacts - texture 'blockiness' during magnification, and aliasing and shimmering during minification.

Nearest-neighbor with mipmapping
This method still uses nearest neighbor interpolation, but adds mipmapping — first the nearest mipmap level is chosen according to distance, then the nearest texel center is sampled to get the pixel color. This reduces the aliasing and shimmering significantly, but does not help with blockiness.

Bilinear filtering
Bilinear filtering is the next step up. In this method the four nearest texels to the pixel center are sampled (at the closest mipmap level), and their colors are combined by weighted average according to distance. This removes the 'blockiness' seen during magnification, as there is now a smooth gradient of color change from one texel to the next, instead of an abrupt jump as the pixel center crosses the texel boundary. Bilinear filtering is almost invariably used with mipmapping; though it can be used without, it would suffer the same aliasing and shimmering problems as its nearest neighbor.

Trilinear filtering
Trilinear filtering is a remedy to a common artifact seen in mipmapped bilinearly filtered images: an abrupt and very noticeable change in quality at boundaries where the renderer switches from one mipmap level to the next. Trilinear filtering solves this by doing a texture lookup and bilinear filtering on the two closest mipmap levels (one higher and one lower quality), and then linearly interpolating the results. This results in a smooth degradation of texture quality as distance from the viewer increases, rather than a series of sudden drops. Of course, closer than Level 0 there is only one mipmap level available, and the algorithm reverts to bilinear filtering.

Anisotropic filtering
Anisotropic filtering is the highest quality filtering available in current consumer 3D graphics cards. Simpler, "isotropic" techniques use only square mipmaps which are then interpolated using bi– or trilinear filtering. (Isotropic means same in all directions, and hence is used to describe a system in which all the maps are squares rather than rectangles or other quadrilaterals.)

When a surface is at a high angle relative to the camera, the fill area for a texture will not be approximately square. Consider the common case of a floor in a game: the fill area is far wider than it is tall. In this case, none of the square maps are a good fit. The result is blurriness and/or shimmering, depending on how th
Cheers,
Martin