The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

What to do after a system crash?

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

What to do after a system crash?

Post by CelticWarrior »

Gentlemen, and ladies, if any frequent this forum,

I'm looking for a little help with identifying the causes of system crashes.

With that marvellous failure box Windows XP throws up after a crash there is the opportunity to send an error report back to Redmond. One can also look to see what information is being sent.

My questionis this - is there any way of seeing, from that (very confusing) information, what caused the crash? There's all sorts of messages about which programmes were running, what dlls were loaded and next to the hex fields it is possible to make out some readable stuff.

With any luck this might help me identify which items are making my FSX so unstable at times. I'm having some success by using one airfield for a set period of time and nearly reloaded all of the traffic files, but having moved to another part of the world the darn thing implodes again and I'd rather not have to go through the process of loading the traffic bgls almost one by one again.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Cary
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
benclark
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by benclark »

Next time FS crashes post the report that's given to you. If FS is crashing alot under certain conditions it sounds like a corrupt paint or scenery bgl.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Here you go, see if you can make head or tail of it :D

I certainly can't. It's got me baffled, and I'd really appreciate it if someone can help dig into this mystery.
Attachments
4bf_appcompat.txt
(113.48 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

CW,
Are there any entries in your Event Viewer from the crash, probably under Application but might be under System?
Steve
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Steve,

I hadn't thought of looking there, thanks for the suggestion :D

Cary