The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Video Card Upgrade For FS2004

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
knarfy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Video Card Upgrade For FS2004

Post by knarfy »

I am looking for some help in recommending a video card for my PC

I am currently using an Nvidia GeForce GTS250 with 1GD DDR PCI, and it has served me well, I get 25-30 frames per second even with most hard weather and all graphics at full, and AI traffic. But I think it might be time to improve.

My system is a AMD Phenom Quad Core 9850 processor 2.51ghz and 3.25gb ram and it tool is older but it is working good.

I was thinking to spend around $300 if that is possible to get a newer card.

I remember one time someone in another forum saying that Nvidia cards are good but in FS2004 especially at night they do not show clouds very well. That I can say is true, my clouds at night are not good at all. But other times, its good. So...just wanted to see what the people here think and can add to help. I appreciate it.

I have attached some pics to show what I currently have graphics wise, a P3 Orion

Thanks

Frank
Attachments
fs9 2013-06-14 17-53-54-03.JPG
fs9 2013-06-14 17-45-12-76.JPG
WTCHURSIX

"Sir the cause of the fire was the insurance payment rubbing up against the mortgage payment causing friction"

campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Video Card Upgrade For FS2004

Post by campbeme »

You don't need to spend that much money, FS leans more on the CPU, so you don't need to spend loads on a GPU as you will not benefit. I have the same processor as you, and updated my graphics card in January to ASUS GTX650 1GB. I picked it up for £90 brand new from a high street store, really happy with the performance. For a little more money you could get the Ti version which is better still.

Just remember you may need to upgrade your PSU, as these cards suck on the juice.

It's a big ass card. :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
Mark
knarfy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by knarfy »

Thank you Mark, I appreciate the help, what did you think of the pics attached, not bad with what I have now. Maybe with the savings I have I can still get the monitor at same time : )

Thanks

Frank
WTCHURSIX

"Sir the cause of the fire was the insurance payment rubbing up against the mortgage payment causing friction"

knarfy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by knarfy »

Mark, tiger direct has this video card and looks like the TI version you were talking about,

Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-D, 1x D-Sub (VGA), 1x HDMI, DirectX 11.1, Overclocked, Dual-Slot, Dual Fan, (GTX650TI-O-1GD5)

here is the link, and it's on sale...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 7AodXlgAGQ

If thats the upper version of the one you mentioned then I will order it weds and the new monitor same time. Will stand by to hear from you. Thank you again !!!!!

Frank
WTCHURSIX

flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

I already have that card, very happy with its performance.

DAVID
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
knarfy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by knarfy »

Thanks everyone for the input. I will be ordering it kn weds. Cany wait : )
WTCHURSIX

knarfy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by knarfy »

Mark and David:

Thank you for your input, I got the card from newegg.com for $140 and then overnight shipping, it's AWESOME!!! I have the resolution set at 1920 x 1080 and all settings on FS9 maxed and no hiccups, I experimented with flying commercial and aviation jets, my best if the alpha C-5 because it just takes up the whole screen : )

What resolution do you guys run your game with (recommend),

Somehow during the process while installing the new video card my sound drivers for my Soundmax HD Audio drivers got corrupted, so I had to reload them. I am using a 39" monitor right now and it's freaking awesome. I couldn't have gotten it down without your help!!!!

I have two screenshots of an alpha f-8 down in the screenshot section taken just after installation

Frank
WTCHURSIX