The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Important Notice for XP users

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
fishlips

Important Notice for XP users

Post by fishlips »

Important notice for users of Windows XP: To continue receiving Microsoft security updates for Windows, make sure that you're running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). The support for Windows XP with Service Pack 3 ends April 8, 2014. If you’re running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) after support ends, to ensure that you will receive all important security updates for Windows, you need to upgrade to a later version, such as Windows 8.
Big thank you to Bill Gates :roll:
fishlips

Re: Important Notice for XP users

Post by fishlips »

Hey Guy's,

With my aging development PC, a Dell single core now pushed beyound its years of fair use I was thinking of upgrading it for a new one which would of course run Window 8.
I was wondering if FSDS and our other usual development proggys work in that system???
When it comes Windows systems, I'm at a total loss.
I still cant find my way around my other machine that runs this system, but does not have development gear on it.
cheer's,
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I have Win7, by choice, so I can't help you here.
Steve
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

So does anybody have FSDS on Windows 8???
I could be retiring earlier than planned, lol
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Win 8 is terrible.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Yes I know, I have it on my other PC running FSX.
That is why I have kept FSdevelopment and web surfing with my old PC running XP SP3, I know my way around it and how to repair it when things go sour.
I have no idea where anything is in Windows 8, pinching windows to close them just seems stupid to me.
If they keep going like that I'll be happy to go back to Apple Mac's where you don't have a fraction of the issues that PCs have.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

We've a new laptop and it has 8 in it...it sits in a corner and no one touches it. One of these days ill install something reasonable. I know thus doesn't answer your question but I never pass up a chance to bash Win 8.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

This is the very reason why I avoided 8. I tried it in a Microsoft store in Orlando last year, on a 32" touch screen and was horrified. Touch screens of that size are not good for working on. At work it will get smeared to b*ggery within 5 mins. I found it all counter intuitive and got frickin' annoyed when that bloody awful pane screen kept coming up.
I complained about it and the assistant actually said well you can customize it so you can access your facebook, twitter, hotmail, skype accounts and access the internet with IE. I told him that I don't actually use any social media and I definitely don't use IE and he replied aghast "What do you use a PC for then?"
*sigh*

I know that 8.1 sounds more user friendly for the desktop so it maybe that it's best to get that as soon as it's available.
Steve
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Yeah. I only use my Windows 8 PC for the simulator basically. I also have an Apple Mac that I use in my studio for which I really like, but then I've been using Apple Mac's ever since the Apple Mac plus came out.
I guess I really don't have much choice in the long run, I can always update the system as they come along.
This poor old Dell with XP PC won't handle the 32" HDMI screens that Steve mentioned. I could really do with a screen of that size on my developent machine.
We've a new laptop and it has 8 in it...it sits in a corner and no one touches it
I have a similar laptop with Vista on it, I think the battery has gone dead from the lack of use.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

fishlips wrote:Yeah. I only use my Windows 8 PC for the simulator basically. I also have an Apple Mac that I use in my studio for which I really like, but then I've been using Apple Mac's ever since the Apple Mac plus came out.
I guess I really don't have much choice in the long run, I can always update the system as they come along.
This poor old Dell with XP PC won't handle the 32" HDMI screens that Steve mentioned. I could really do with a screen of that size on my developent machine.
We've a new laptop and it has 8 in it...it sits in a corner and no one touches it
I have a similar laptop with Vista on it, I think the battery has gone dead from the lack of use.
Hey don't knock Vista it's a very stable system now and still supported...lol. Once you turn off they annoying security reminder bluff its no different to XP. This is what I use can't you tell I run FS9, FSX, P3D and Flight on it.
Mark
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Not looking good. Windows 8 is missing "Imagedev.dll" for it to install FSDS 3.5.1 updated version. I'll have to try the earlier 3.5.1 version.
It installed FSX ok.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Imagedev.dll is part of the FSDS install.
Steve
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

That is what I thought!, I can see it as a .dll file on my XP machine. weird!
Could be a security program issue preventing it from installing, not sure.