The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Assistance Please.

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
plumber
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Assistance Please.

Post by plumber »

Have recently copied Windows XP FS9 from External HD onto a Windows 7 64 bit PC. All is working with the exception of the Flight Log. On exiting FS I just get a black screen, on pressing ENTER the system goes to normal desk top. On checking the FS Files Log the day, date, aircraft and flight time are recorded as normal but as I have not been able to enter the Flight itself I have no record.
In order to sort this do I have to delete/save the two cfg files in users etc, and start anew?
Regards
Brian H
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Assistance Please.

Post by Firebird »

I will be honest here and say that I didn't know that option existed and therefore had never used it.

However a simple read of the following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280390 leads me to think that maybe the location of the log book is contained in your FS9.cfg file. Try checking it to see if it there is an entry for it's location. If so I am willing to bet that it is still pointing to the old location and you need to alter it in the fs9.cfg, obviously taking a backup first.

FS9.cfg is a simple text file.
Steve
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Cheers Steve, On XP I always had the Flight records as described. I have looked at the attached ref and made a small change so will see what happens next trip.
New Query:- In Users/user/App Data/Roaming/Microsoft/FS9/ there is a file ref: dxdiag.xml, I note that it contains the tech details of my old XP machine and not the new Windows 7. Anybody know how I update this?
Cheers
Brian H
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

No idea Brian, but I found this page which might help;

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/dxdiag.htm
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yep, you just run dxdiag again and it will check your 'puter but it's not FS9 specific so I would guess that at some point you might have moved it there.
Steve
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Thanks very much for the info, have followed the link and have updated to the new PC tech specs.
I have deleted the old file and replaced it with the new one.
Now the question is does anyone else have this file and if so where is it?
Cheers
Brian H
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Nope, not everybody has this file. You only get it when you run dxdiag which you may never do.
All it is useful for is if you need to know what version of directX you are using or if you think you have issues with it.
Steve
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

OK thanks Steve.