The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 7 problem

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
plumber
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Windows 7 problem

Post by plumber »

I have just generated an amended flight plan and on using TTools as usual the plan was accepted in the listings of TTools. However when I checked in Scenery/World/ Scenery the file was not evident, the odd thing is that on checking my changes in FS9 the aircraft were operating as requested. I have FS9 in Programme Files (X86) is this the problem? I have found that if I want to alter an a/c cfg I have to move the relevant cfg into My Documents to make changes, then move it back.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
BR
Brian H
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Windows 7 problem

Post by Firebird »

It sounds similar to a well known Vista problem.
Basically anything in the default MS program folders, C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Files, can only be updated by program that you have given admin rights to.

So in this case try setting clicking the 'Run this program as an administrator' option in the properties of ttools.

If it is the same the problem it isn't ttools itself but the fact that it is trying to create a file in the MS default folders. In short, if you had FS9 installed elsewhere, e.g. F:\Flight Simulator 9, you probably wouldn't have this problem.

Also I know we all have our favourite proggies but I would really recommend that you try compiling using AIFP2. It is worth it for the error checking alone.
Steve
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Thanks Steve have done as suggested and it worked.
Most appreciated foe all the assistance given to me over this period of getting to grips with W7.
Regards
Brian H
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

I turned off UAC completely the first minute I launched Windows 7 and haven't looked back since. :wink:
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Greg, UAC?
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

User Access Control which prevents you from accessing certain files or folders if you don't have permission or admin rights and gives all those annoying popups. It's designed to block malicious code but works too well in my opinion so I just turned it off in Control Panel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Thanks Greg, will have a look.
Brian H
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Greg, Many thanks for that, it has certainly made life a lot easier, I can do the things that I was able to do in XP, great. An additional plus is that on my laptop (and this PC) I have AVG Driver Update software, following the change you suggested I was able to update a further 12 newer Drivers.
Cheers
Brian H
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Yep and you'll no longer have to run anything "as administrator" again. I think UAC is nice for someone like my mother who doesn't know what the heck she's doing and calls me every other day because she broke her Windows, but not for people like us who tinker with files and folders all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk