The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Dual Monitors/Stretched VC screen possible in FSX??

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Dual Monitors/Stretched VC screen possible in FSX??

Post by MIKE JG »

I'm helping setup a desk based PC sim using FSX for an aviation mobile lab that will be used as a public outreach tool to get kids interested in aviation.

I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs of FS9, FSX not so much but what I really don't have any experience with is using more than one monitor for the sim.

Here is the setup:

It's two 38" HD monitors (same models) with Saitek yoke, throttle and pedals.

We're trying to use it so that the two monitors essentially act as the two cockpit windows as you would see them looking forward.

What I'm trying to do is to stretch the VC across both monitors and I think we're running into a limitation of FSX.

I have both monitors enabled so that I can stretch the desktop across both, I can even run programs like Internet Explorer stretched across both screens.

The video card is one of the latest from Nvidia, Nvidia 4000 I think, I didn't put the hardware together for this.

What's happening is that it appears the game is truncating the VC when I try to run it in windowed mode. It will stretch it to about 75% of the entire width of the two screens and then it stops and there's blank space for the rest of the width of the screen.

Doing some reading, it sounds as if what I'm trying to accomplish is not possible with an Nvidia card these days.

Does anyone know if you can stretch a single FSX screen across multiple monitors to fill up the entire width of the dual displays???
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Dual Monitors/Stretched VC screen possible in FSX??

Post by campbeme »

MIKE JG wrote:I'm helping setup a desk based PC sim using FSX for an aviation mobile lab that will be used as a public outreach tool to get kids interested in aviation.

I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs of FS9, FSX not so much but what I really don't have any experience with is using more than one monitor for the sim.

Here is the setup:

It's two 38" HD monitors (same models) with Saitek yoke, throttle and pedals.

We're trying to use it so that the two monitors essentially act as the two cockpit windows as you would see them looking forward.

What I'm trying to do is to stretch the VC across both monitors and I think we're running into a limitation of FSX.

I have both monitors enabled so that I can stretch the desktop across both, I can even run programs like Internet Explorer stretched across both screens.

The video card is one of the latest from Nvidia, Nvidia 4000 I think, I didn't put the hardware together for this.

What's happening is that it appears the game is truncating the VC when I try to run it in windowed mode. It will stretch it to about 75% of the entire width of the two screens and then it stops and there's blank space for the rest of the width of the screen.

Doing some reading, it sounds as if what I'm trying to accomplish is not possible with an Nvidia card these days.

Does anyone know if you can stretch a single FSX screen across multiple monitors to fill up the entire width of the dual displays???
Not sure if this helps you Mike.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/240981/

I think stretching is a no no.
Mark
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Dual Monitors/Stretched VC screen possible in FSX??

Post by MIKE JG »

Yea the stretching is a limit of the game I think, based on the max resolution settings in game.

I think we're just going to buy a third matching monitor and run three full screens. I've gotten the hang of running undocked windows on the second screen so for now, we've got something that looks ok.

Only problem now is that the Nvidia Quatro card that we have for this setup can only run two screens at once. Gonna have to upgrade the card to run three.

Thankfully we've been given a grant for this project so we actually have some monies left over to cover what we need.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log