The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: Windows 10

Post by Weescotty »

"Now I did hear that the copy protection used by FS2004 and others that required the CD in the drive was broken by W10 and they would not work."

That is 100% correct.
FS2004 used Safedisk as an anti piracy measure.
Safedisk drivers are not in the released Windows 10 version. (they are in the Tech Preview versions of Windows 10, go figure)
The NOCD 'fix' bypasses the Safedisk check and allows FS2004 to run.

I have the black aircraft preview box in 'Full Screen' mode, but using Alt+Enter to goto 'Windowed' Mode allows the aircraft to be show up.
Reggie
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by Reggie »

I'm having to run FSX in Window mode as well. I got the "Black" screen with the full screen view. Scared me at first. But all is well now except for the crash when trying to switch to another airport.
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

It would appear that 'something' was changed in W10 build 10130 and whatever it was, MS can't be bothered to either reinstate or fix. DX seems to be the culprit. The 'no CD' exe runs FS9 without problem and I've tried running in legacy modes but all to no avail.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The irony here is that the thing that finally kills the hobby maybe actually be MS itself.

So it seems that FS9 can be run in windowed mode fine, and presumably FSX as well. FSX will work in full screen if you set it to work in DX10 preview mode.
Is this the case? Are there any issues with P3D?
Steve
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

When I enable DX10 Preview, some of my aircraft lose their VC panels. All I see is gauges floating in the air. I had to turn DX10 back off.
Maybe it depends on the system. I'm using an NVidia HD 5700 graphics card.
Reggie
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

I am using the noCD without any problems. I have upgraded my NVIDIA drivers to WIN10 drivers again without any problems. I can use FS9 in full screen and in windows mode. The only issue I am having is BGLMAN.dll shows as an error. I renamed it to BGLMAN.old and that solved that. I am having to rebuild my scenery.cfg to put all my scenery layers back in.

Where is notepad in WIN10? I am having to use Microsoft Works to open the cfg files.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

That's interesting. What 'build' of W10 do you have installed? As previously mentioned, build 10130 seems to have introduced the problem. It would appear that anyone who downloaded Beta versions prior to the 29 July world-wide release (and haven't allowed any subsequent updates) doesn't have the problem.

MS's response is underwhelming.
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

I not sure what build it is. It was the one Microsoft downloaded and updated on 29th July when WIN10 became available. I never tried the preview or Beta copy.
Last edited by flyboy on 09 Sep 2015, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

I'm using the version that MS downloaded after the release July 29th.
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

Has anyone had any luck installing FSX (original not Steam version) on Win10? I am getting a CODE 1628 when I try to install it. It is something to do with installshield.
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

Yesterday I upgraded my mother-in-law new laptop. Started with Win 8 out of the box. I had to download and install 167 updates first before I could update it to Win 8.1. Then 47 more patches after Win 8.1 to patch it up. This morning I got the Win 10 invite so went ahead and installed it. Win 10 installed with no problems but had to do Windows update and a few more patches.
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

I went ahead and took the plunge and updated the Desktop (Win 7 Pro) to Win 10. Update went faster than the three laptops that I did earlier. Loaded FS9 from my NAS to it, no major problems except for the screen being black. Once I hit ALT+ENTER everything was normal. Flew some last night around the UK and everything looked real good. Still loading in the 50 minute mark to Aircraft Selection Screen.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Just to let you guys know of a little problem I encountered upgrading the desktop my missus uses. The upgrade failed with C1900200.
This occurs when your system reserved disk is too small. Most, it seems, were set to 100mb partitions on your boot disk. These are generally unnamed and do not have a drive letter assigned. It seems that if your are upgrading and you have a 100mb partition it will fail with the above error with not enough space.
You have to increase the size of the reserved partition to around 350mb.

The full instructions and even a free tool to do the job can be found here http://www.pagestart.com/win10sysresrved0809151.html
Steve
dleaser
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by dleaser »

I was able to migrate from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 and FSX runs fine. The only problem is I can not load any MAIW files. If anyone has any idea how to install on a Windows 10 system, please let me know.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

What MAIW files are you unable to load? Are you talking about installing our packages?
Steve
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Jive1 »

Hey!
I just re-installed Windows 7 after a couple of days using Windows 10
Indeed; switching to Windows 10 as an update and advised by MS, it was easy, everything went well I must even say that Windows 10 did excellent with FS9, at least as well as Windows 7 did. I did not experiece problems with FS9, I only had to make a new link to the FS9.EXE file, in fact that's all...
But...
Finding the way through that new Widows 10 system, that was another question. I really had troubles in switching between all my other applications. It looks very different from the way of switching and operating in Windows 7.
The graphic layout of the Windows 10 screen is beautiful, but working with Windoows 10 demands efforts before being used to work with.
So, after a few days, I decided to go back to Windows 7 and...
Supprisingly, Windows 7 was intact, every application still worked fine in Windows 7 after way on and back to Windows 10.
My opinion is....
Windows 10 is OK for FSF9, not better but OK, however it would be fine if MS would make all future Windows versions as easy as this for upgrading to a next version, and also give the same ease to go the way back, but with the operation system easier than in Windows 10, better like Windows 7 and XP and many other version of the good old days....
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium
Windows 10 Home NLD 64bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1024MB 1920 x 1080 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
C:\ NTFS 120,12GB 95,81GB 8 170MB
Redbull AV and Redbull Firewall
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

What actually helps here is that MS actually copy the important system directories and files rather than update them which is why it is a doddle to fallback.
You have to ask why they took nearly 20 years to implement this fallback procedure. Would have saved an awful lot of grief for a whole bunch of people over the years.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

From 29th of July onwards Windows 10 will no longer come as a free offer.
Cheers,
Martin
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

On various forums I must have read more people have had or having problems after installing W10 than the ones who are finding it OK.
I have a touch-screen PC in the living room that the grand kids play on, it had W7 on and I upgraded to 10, after a day or two I rolled back to 7, I hated it.
Luckily on my main PC that has FS on runs W7 and I switched off the constant W10 request to upgrade, I'm still on 7 and staying on it for as long as possible.
I bought a new laptop early on last year, 1 said it had W10 installed but there was the same 1 cheaper with no operating system so I bought that and put W7 on it.
If someone gave me a brand new PC tomorrow and it had W10 installed the next thing I would do is format it.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Changing an OS is always a great step that should be considered carefully. Unlike corporations home users are complete free to make that choice.
My impression is that most issues were encountered by people who upgraded their old OS instead doing a fresh installation. This for example is something that I have never done nor will ever do.
My fresh installations of Win10 have given me one Office/Development and one Flightsim computer, which are both running everything I use smoothly and without errors ever since. After adapting to the new way of Windows 10 which took me some time I would now not go back given the choice.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin