The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: Windows 10

Post by Weescotty »

Media Player is there, they removed the Media Center in Win 10.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I decide to force the upgrade for my Laptop on Friday.

The download went well and the upgrade did not hit any issues although it did take 2 hrs to do.
The laptop has not had any issues but it does seem a lot slower on startup than under Windows 7.

I haven't customized it it anyway yet. My personal take on the look is that it is absolutely gopping. I dislike that flat plain look and although the Start Menu is back it is overly complicated with little frickin' tiles. In my opinion they should have left it clean rather than have you spend time deleting crap that I never use form it.

On the new browser, edge, I hate it. I normally use Firefox anyway but the new browser is so clean of menus and toolbars and addons that I just don't want to touch it at all. People that like Chrome may like it well enough but I am a person who likes to see the options in front of them and not hidden away.

I did notice that there have been 3 cumulative updates so far and they have included an aero.msstyles file so I am thinking that you can have those opaque borders back like in 7 but it is not immediately obvious how to activate that.

One other small thing, On all my PCs I do have that rather nice Accuweather widget that Dell released on their 7 machines. It seems to be well liked and various people have got hold of components and used it on their machines, like me.
After the 10 upgrade it did not work. After the latest cumulative update it has sprung back into life so it seems that the release date was cast in stone and they are adding more functionality once that completes the internal testing.

One note on the cumulative update. It took 15 mins for it to check online for updates, find it and download it. So my advice is be patient once you have installed and update first before you play around with it. I am guessing that the time is due to the massive worldwide download effort and that it will improve.

I have not, nor will I be putting FS9 on the laptop so I can't answer FS specific queries. This is just a general 10 post that people may or may not find useful.
In case you want to force a download now you can download the appropriate tool from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10. Please note that you can use it to update you do not have to build an iso.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Try installing classicshell.
Gives you the Windows 7 Start button layout back.
Last I read you had to rename the exe file as it had been blocked in Win10.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Kev, that was one of the things that I was going to do. I do like that program.

Another personalization that I have is that I use Clover, the File Manager extension to Windows Explorer that enables tabs among other things.

This was not affected in anyway by the 10 update.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Attempted an update today Got this error message "failed : C1900101-20017"

Second attempt and when I went into reset I was told the disk with windows on was locked.

Same error code BTW

I read that W10 needs UEFI haven't a clue if I've got that!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

At the moment Windows 10 does not require UEFI.
That code sounds like you have an old driver floating around.
Go to the device manager and select show hidden devices.
See what comes up that shouldn't be there or is from a old piece of hardware you have replaced.

Don't know how much you are willing to invest time in this but.....
Had one at work that was a problem.
Blew it away and reinstalled Win 7 SP1.
Didn't bother with updates or drivers.
Downloaded the ISO and burnt it to cd.
Inserted the cd and ran setup.
Worked 1st time!

EDIT - should add you may need to install the network drivers to activate your original OS after a clean install. You should not run the upgrade over the top until your current OS is successful activated!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If it helps, John, I found this page on the problem. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... list_your/.

It seems to indicate that their maybe a problem with an attached peripheral. Try finding the Setuperr.log once it rolls back, like one person says it pointed him to a network printer.

On the UEFI side of things, I don't use but in my BIOS it does have the option of booting from a UEFI device. My guess is that if you have Windows 7 your BIOS is new enough to have a setting in there to enable it. Here is a link that talks a bit about that and this may help http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how ... on-1513691 but this talks about a clean install so I would definitely try the first link initially. If you clean install you will need your original Windows 7 key handy, apparently.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Steve and Kevin

Did the driver thing and updated the BIOS. Still got the C19001-20017 error. Time for dinner and tomorrow I'll take the case off and disable the D drive and CD-ROM and anything else that might be causing the problem.

Cheers
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

This is wierd disconnected everything except C and D drives. PC wouldn't boot from C neither would it boot from D but will boot when both are connected. Checked using disk management and found D was disk 0 and C was disk 1. Yet Windows is on the C drive. When booting from C only it says it can't find the boot manager. I'm assuming for some reason the boot manager is on D somewhere!

Just discovered the system partition is on the D drive which probably explains why W10 fails at reboot.

I'm going to run the W7 installation again with only C active. According to articles I read it won't find the system partition and it will create at one the C drive. Then the D drive partition can be removed. Well that's the plan!!

If that fails its plan B or is it Z!!

Plan Z:
I'm going to back up the files I need off C, format it and only have that disk active then try to install using a W10 ISO. If worst happens I'll have reload Windows 7 again. I'll then know its my hardware that doesn't like W10.
John

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

If your going to wipe it.....

Start by installing Win 7 with only the drive you want it on connected.
At the disk partition screen, remove all the existing ones then click install.
It will create the needed partitions in the correct order.
Install the network drivers (needed to grab the latest Win 10 updates during upgrade)
Pop in your Win 10 disk and run setup.

Edit - remember to activate win 7 BEFORE the upgrade!

I'll guess at sometime Windows was on what is now your D drive and you used some app to move it to what is now your c drive?
It obviously left the boot manger on what is now your d drive.
Best way to move your whole OS is to do a bare metal backup, then use restore that to your new drive.
That copies then restores everything, even the hidden system partitions.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Kevin

I've deleted the system partition on D using diskpart then allowed the Win 7 install disk to correct the errors on C. Booted up using only the C drive, all other peripherals being disabled. Downloading W10 as we speak.

And yes it was the Vista disk originally, I did a quick format but must have left the hidden system files behind.

EDIT: well that didn't work either. Same error code disk locked. So now I'm going to format it and a) reinstall Win7 or b) install W10 from an ISO. So do I format C via DOS making it a system disk or do I let the Windows install do it?

Cheers

John
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well you have gone that far so let Windows do it itself, unless Windows can't read it as a HD.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

It sees it as a HD. I'll do a reinstall. Always a good idea to do that occasionally I feel. Clears out the junk.

The one thing that worries me is the UEFI question. Lots of reports say the disk locked problem is connected to not having UEFI selected in the BIOS. My motherboard does not support UEFI, so if that is the problem I'm stuffed!
John

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Windows 7 install
When you get to the installation window
Select custom
Click on each existing partition and select delete
Do this for each existing partition until you have a bare drive
Click next and the installer will do the correct partitioning for you

UEFI will not be required by Windows 10 until 1 year after it was released.
After that any new hardware will have to support UEFI and another thing i cant remember at the moment.
My 8 year old laptop doesn't support UEFI and it installed 1st time.

Just to remind you...
Once you have windows 7 on, install network drivers if you need them and ACTIVATE WINDOWS 7.
Once you are sure it is activated
Pop in the windows 10 DVD and run setup
Don't change any of the default settings, or you might install as a clean install instead of upgrade.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

One other thing I read, to follow on from Kev's advice, is that 10 will not update 7 unless SP1 is applied. So I would do that before trying the 10 update.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Depends how old your win 7 DVD is.
After they released SP1, all DVDs released included SP1.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote:One other thing I read, to follow on from Kev's advice, is that 10 will not update 7 unless SP1 is applied. So I would do that before trying the 10 update.

Mine is dated 2009. I'm going to download SP1 from MS then apply it to the new install.
John

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

If it already has SP1 it will be mentioned on the DVD or packaging.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

What Kev is saying is correct, that if the CD has SP1 built in then no need to update it online but SP1 wasn't released until 2011 so the chances are that you will need to install that download first.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Weescotty wrote:If it already has SP1 it will be mentioned on the DVD or packaging.
No mention of it on the package that I can see.
John