The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Windows 10

Post by VulcanDriver »

Well guys, I did a complete reinstall of W7 formatted C drive installed SP1 went to get the W10 upgrade and got the message your W7 systems is not ready for the upgrade, install all the W7 updates or words to that effect. So I'm now installing all the important ones. Just a bit of advice for anyone trying this method.

Still betting W10 will fail :twisted:
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

It finally worked for me on my laptop after a clean W7 install. But I made sure I had installed each and every update before I started.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Well have spent almost a week on this. Clean install of W7 300+ updates! Booting from an ISO only to be told that the drivers are missing from the ISO and that the disk where Windows is, is locked (again). I'm now giving up and sticking to W7. At least I know all my software works with that!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

I am considering keeping my desktop system with Win 7 Pro. I have upgraded my laptops to 10, but I have already had to reset my business laptop due to problems with 10. It is a ASUS K53 with Intel Core I5, 8GB. I was adding photos and it locked up, gave me a local account only and would not start. I still can't personalize it or get the mail to sync on it.

My gaming laptop, Republic Of Gamers (ROG) G750J laptop came with Win 8 and it seems to be working best with 10. It has an Intel I7 with 12 GB of memory, and a GEFORCE GTX 765M. Win 10 killed a lot of the older programs I have, (Battlefield 4 was broke) and I still can not get FSX to install on it. I get a 1628 error?????

I spent all day yesterday uploading my backup of FS9 on to the ROG (over 70GB), and when I tried to start it it showed about 20 DLL files that were not compatible. Most are with add-on aircraft, but a lot are with add on programs.

I stopped working on my FS setup about a year ago. I reached 35000 AI and a little over 1000 scenery layers. It took forever to load and was getting more that I thought my desktop system could handle. I was a little burned out with it also. I was hoping Win 10 was the answer on the ROG to give me the bigger system to build it on, but Win 10 might be too advanced for it.

If I keep the desktop on Win 7 Pro and upgrade it (it is a Intel Duel Core with 8GB memory and a GTS 450 graphics card) I wonder how long Microsoft will support Win 7 now that 10 is out.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

VulcanDriver wrote:Well have spent almost a week on this. Clean install of W7 300+ updates! Booting from an ISO only to be told that the drivers are missing from the ISO and that the disk where Windows is, is locked (again). I'm now giving up and sticking to W7. At least I know all my software works with that!
One thing you could is a clean install of win 10.
Just press skip when is asks for the key.
Ok it won't activate but at least you will know if it's an upgrade problem, or an incompatibility issue.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Kevin

Just spent half of yesterday and most of today rebuilding the stuff I had on my W7 until the fiasco of the W10 upgrade so I wont be touching W10 for a long while.

Cheers and thanks all for the advice etc.
John

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

My Pc -
AMD 1100T 6-core CPU
AMD FX chipset
AMD HD 7800 Graphics card
BIOS - NO UEFI option

Upgraded first time.
Only issue was wireless keyboard/mouse wouldn't work on the initial boot into Win 10. So I had to connect wired ones to do the initial setup.

Once in I ran Windows update....
Updated drivers available for both the wireless keyboard and mouse and the HD7800 graphics card.

Seems fine.

[edit]
FS2004 glitch - no aircraft preview, just a black rectangle. Otherwise works fine.
FSX Gold - seems OK
FSDS - OK
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Are any of the Anti Virus Products compatible with W10?
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

I use Avira and there does not seem to be any problems !!
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

plumber wrote:Are any of the Anti Virus Products compatible with W10?
AVG is now updated for W10 I've used AVG for years and its stopped some Nasty viruses.
John

flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

I am using Norton Security with no problems. I finally got FS9 with my AI setup to run on Win10. My MODULES folder was in the wrong location and once I fixed that, no problems. It took about 50 minutes to load to the CREATE A FLIGHT screen on the ROG laptop, but I need to defrag it to see if it will load faster.
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

50 minutes..... Wow. What are your pc specs. I know you have a ton of Ai but 50 is crazy

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Barry
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have noticed on my laptop that 10 is noticeably slower on system startup and shutdown, and the restarts after updates is really slow. I have read reviews of 10 that seem to indicate that it is slower than 7/8 in most aspects of operation. My personal experience seems to compare with that. Whether there is some performance benefits you get with a clean install system I don't know.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

flyboy wrote:I am using Norton Security with no problems. I finally got FS9 with my AI setup to run on Win10. My MODULES folder was in the wrong location and once I fixed that, no problems. It took about 50 minutes to load to the CREATE A FLIGHT screen on the ROG laptop, but I need to defrag it to see if it will load faster.
So glad I stuck with Win7. My Fs9 starts up and loads a flight in about 5 minutes and I also have lots of AI in fact the only flyable aircraft on my system are the default Cessna and the VRS F-18.
John

flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

50 minutes..... Wow. What are your pc specs. I know you have a ton of Ai but 50 is crazy
My ROG specs are:

ASUS Republic of Gamers G750J
Intel Core i7-4700Hq CPU @ 2.40GHz
12Gb DDR3 memory
Geforce GTX 765M with 2GB memory
1TB Hard drive
128Gb SSD drive

I shaved about 3 minutes off it by optimizing the drive. As I said in the post above, I am running over 35,000 AI, 1000 layers of scenery plus I have a ton of add ons. I use Ultimate Terrain, Ground Environment, Flight Environment, ASA for weather, Radar Contact, 3d lights etc. I also have a ton of payware aircraft. So I did figured it would take a while to load on the laptop. As I also said in my post above, I am keeping my desktop Win 7 Pro to rebuild my flight sim setups on. I cannot get FSX to load in Win 10 no matter what I have tried.

I cannot tell a big change with Win 10 except a lot of my older programs will not run on it. Especially if it is dependent on older forms of Internet Explorer.
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Had an even weirder one!!!!

Clean install of Windows 10 Pro - 1Gb memory required.
Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro - 2Gb memory needed!

Still looking for a fix for the FS9 black aircraft preview screen. (apparently started in Win 8 )
Apart from that, up to now everything looks like it works.
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

I downloaded Windows 10 with a lot of fear and apprehension. But, after reading as much as I could about W-10 and FSX, I took the plunge and FSX is working perfectly except for one thing. When I try to jump to another airport, as soon as it opens, the program crashes. I've used CCleaner and Disk Cleaner to try and clean everything up, but it still crashes about every other time.
I even deleted the Config file and let it build its own.

Otherwise, I've noticed less sputters and flashes; and it's running much smoother.

Anybody know the fix for my small problem?

Thanks,
Reggie
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

I thought I'd add my half-penny's worth for those who are 'imming' and 'amming' about whether or not to make the upgrade.

I took the upgrade onto a Windows 7 64bit OS and the upgrade itself was pretty flawless. As I recall I had to do some adjustments to the sound system and pick up some drivers for this and that from here and there but tweaking was all that was required. Sufficed to say, the upgrade went as smoothly as could be expected.

However, FS9 would not run in full-screen mode and that, for me, was the deal breaker. It ran perfectly well in window mode but no matter what I did, no-go in full-screen; in fact Alt-Enter to the full-screen and the resultant Blank Screen could not be reversed and a reboot was necessary.

I took the plunge and reverted back to Windows 7 via Windows 10 'restore' facility and it has worked perfectly. And that is where I shall stay until such time as I read that full-screen works in FS9. From what I've read elsewhere, Microsoft are showing zero interest in getting this fixed on what, after all, is a piece of their software in which they clearly have no further interest. There's 'customer support' for you.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Well I'm glad I went back to W7. Been flying over Photorealistic German Scenery in FS9 and get constant 45fps. The W7 reinstall and upgraded video drivers has made a big difference to my FS9 experience.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

From what I have read, it appears that the issue is caused by DX12. My take rather than what anybody has actually said. Some have had it happen with FSX as well but if you select Preview DX10, in FSX, it cures the problem.

Some have said that it was working in 10122 build which was released a week before 10130 build which broke it.

I also found somebody who found that FS9 was hidden behind a black screen. He then found a copy on the FS9 NoCD and that fixed the problem. Now I did hear that the copy protection used by FS2004 and others that required the CD in the drive was broken by W10 and they would not work. The two things maybe linked here. Could it be as simple as remove the broken copy protection and it will work? I have also found somebody saying that they had to set Compatibility=Windows 7 and run as Administrator then they could switch Alt+Enter with no problem.
I also read that it does work, but the alt menus in FS9 cause the issue, so as long as you make all your choices and hit fly and then switch you will be fine but if you want to make any changes like using the toggle map button, which opens up a menu chosen window, then you have to switch back to windowed mode first.

If anybody has any experience of these work-arounds being successful please let us know, or indeed if it runs perfectly fine in full screen mode.
Steve