The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

debugging fs9 crashes

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

debugging fs9 crashes

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'm getting the ctd when FS9 gets to 98% loading. Is there any debugging software that I use to show what is causing the crash. I've removed all the new traffic bgls that I've added in the last view days. BTW it seems to be when I fly in the UK.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: debugging fs9 crashes

Post by hawk_sh »

I would recommend "Filemon"

Here is a short description

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forums/1 ... on#p163044

Is FS9 still loading the scenery when it crashes?
I would suggest that at 98% it is already loading traffic?
Hartwig

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

You're right it's a traffic problem. Trying to track the reason is maddening. I have all major airlines installed plus military and GA traffic. I'm wondering if I'm pushing fs9 to its Max and that's why it's started to happen.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It is simply trial and error mate.
If you have run ACA2005 and it has found no error then the chances are it is a 24/32bit texture.

Run with nothing but default traffic. If OK then add all your civvie stuff. If it crashes then remove half the traffic and retry. It is a bit like the bubble sort logic in programming. You gradually narrow down where the error is.
If it is fine then it is a mil plane, and you add half the mil traffic and use the same narrowing down process.

It sounds like it may take a long time but you will find that you can rule a lot out quite quickly.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I've run ACA and found lots of non unique names in the cfg files. Which may be causing problems. As you say its going to be a long process.
John

JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

I have had crashes near London due to the AI aircraft included with Flight Deck 5. The textures are in DXT1 Format normally used for autogen scenery.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Right I removed all traffic files and put them back one at a time. Done the Civil and GA stuff and all is OK. Tomorrow it's the mil stuff. I'm wondering if a database within FS9 had got corrupted.
John

campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

John,

I would try the following, rename your Aircraft folder to Aircraftcopy, then create a new Aircraft folder and copy the default Cessna folder into it. Start FS, if it does not crash then it's some thing in your original aircraft folder. If it does crash then turn off your addon scenery folder and then retry FS, if it does not crash then it's something in your Addon folder. Then when you know which folder is causing the crash you can start the elimination search. Of course it may not be either, but it usually is one of them.
Mark
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Right, I've used ProcMon which is the replacement for FileMon from MS it shows name collisions. I'm assuming that's when two or more a/c have the same title? There is no one a/c causing it to crash as its random. Sometimes FS loads and sometimes it CTDs. This is at the same airport, same time of day but I randomly change the day to see if it changes due to the FPs. It doesn't.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I don't think that duplicate names causes crashes. I think they just don't show.
If I read this correctly, all your civvie stuff has passed OK.
So its a mil plan.
So you can go one of two ways. In your temp folder that you have stored your mil plans decide whether you want to sort them by date created or by title. Copy the first half into your life folder and load it up.
If there is no crash then the fault is in the second half of plans, so copy the first half of the remaining plans over. In two goes you have limited it down to a quarter of flightplans.
If there is a crash then your reduce your active plans by half and retry and you again half cut down the problem area to a quarter of your total.

Also remember that you not always had this issue, so it has to be a recently compiled plan. As long as you have only one error then any plan compiled after you first got the error will not be guilty and my guess is that only plans compiled up to a month before your first crash date are mostly likely to contain the error.
This leads me onto the second way of approaching this. copy over only those created up to a month before your first crash. Load up and if it crashes then you have already vastly reduced the number of possible causes. Then use a simple method to whittle that down as the first method.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Well after having random crashes with all traffic reinstalled I noticed the page file for the system required 6gb but only had 4gb available so I've manually increased it to 8gb on a second disk and the last time I loaded FS it didn't crash. Will do more tests tomorrow.

Fingers crossed and all that.

One good thing is I've deleted a lot of AI aircraft that weren't flying in the 1980s!!
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

After yesterday's success the CTD is back. Same files installed. Back to the drawing board. I'm wondering if there's a traffic file that was installed with some scnery without me knowing.
John

campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Lol....Hey John that signature pic you have from VRS. Well I know its been there for years, but today my Avast is saying its dangerous and is blocking it.
Mark
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Yeah my antivirus won't let me go to some FS sites and my ISP is marking any email from MAIW as spam! Anyway I'm checking the AI textures. There are a lot which are 32-bit so now I'm converting them to DXT3. Hopefully that will cure the CTD.
John

campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

There is a program about that does your whole system in about 5 minutes. I have it somewhere, I need to go on a Milk and Bread run, then I will find it for you.
Mark
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

campbeme wrote:Lol....Hey John that signature pic you have from VRS. Well I know its been there for years, but today my Avast is saying its dangerous and is blocking it.
Mark,

AVAST does not like anything associated with VRS anymore. Its Web Shield won't let me on the VRS website, its File System Shield blocked my download of the latest VRS F-18E update and warns me that the latest VRS TacPack Manager version is infected when I open it. So now I have to shut down both the AVAST File System Shield and Web Shield whenever I do anything relative to VRS from visiting the VRS support forums and downloading updates to actually flying the TacPack enabled F-18E. :x :evil:
    Mike M.
    campbeme
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

mikewmac wrote:
    campbeme wrote:Lol....Hey John that signature pic you have from VRS. Well I know its been there for years, but today my Avast is saying its dangerous and is blocking it.
    Mark,

AVAST does not like anything associated with VRS anymore. Its Web Shield won't let me on the VRS website, its File System Shield blocked my download of the latest VRS F-18E update and warns me that the latest VRS TacPack Manager version is infected when I open it. So now I have to shut down both the AVAST File System Shield and Web Shield whenever I do anything relative to VRS from visiting the VRS support forums and downloading updates to actually flying the TacPack enabled F-18E. :x :evil:
    Makes you wonder Mike.
    Mark
    VulcanDriver
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

campbeme wrote:There is a program about that does your whole system in about 5 minutes. I have it somewhere, I need to go on a Milk and Bread run, then I will find it for you.

Sounds like the answer to a maidens dream :wink: currently its going to take most of tomorrow as I don't want to change the textures in my flyable aircraft.
    John

VulcanDriver
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

mikewmac wrote:
    Mark,

Is that an upgrade for the FS9 version Mike?
    John

mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran
    Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

VulcanDriver wrote:
    mikewmac wrote:
    Mark,

Is that an upgrade for the FS9 version Mike?
    John,

No, it was for the FSX TacPack version. I don't think VRS upgrades the FS9 version anymore.
      Mike M.