The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

debugging fs9 crashes

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: debugging fs9 crashes

Post by VulcanDriver »

An that's what I thought. Just checking Mike.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
hgschnell
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by hgschnell »

Run FSTextureChecker, save the log to disk, edit the log.txt and find "crash" ...
Guenther
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Still trying to find the cause. Once registered at Alpha India I'll download texture checker. I'm still find 32bit textures in my AI a/c!!

Edit: How long does it take for Alpha India to authorise membership?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
33sierra

Post by 33sierra »

Hello
I have crash to desk top on approach to KLAX, about 18 miles out. I have used texture checkers, alpha checkers to no avail. Mt flight sim runs perfect otherwise. All my MAIW is super cool. I love MAIW. I am going to try to support with donations to MAIW, Flying carpet and AVSIM all next month. I got two of them last month. MAIW is worth supporting. I save give until it hurts.
Thank you guys so much.
Roger martin
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Does it crash at the same point no matter what the day and time?
Steve
33sierra

Post by 33sierra »

Hello
That is a good question. I love night flying, it does seem to crash at night all the time. I have took out all the traffic and it crashed during the daytime. It says its a dll module, I cant think of the exact one, its the most common, the number 2 mostly and sometimes the three one. It seems to be the LAX terminal or downtown LA that is the culprit. I cant get into KHHR either, but, I can get into KBUR without any problem. And I can fly over LA without problems at 7000 or above. I may need to switch over my video card to NVIDIA. I have an 8800 GTS in the box. I am using an ATI X1950XTX. It has allot of flight time on it. Several hundred hours and possibly over a thousand is flight time. I build my own computers, they work great, I have to save for three years to build my latest one I am using. Piece by piece. I have 15.00 bucks a month for donations, so, I am going to have to split it 5.00 a month to the three I mentioned in my above posts.
Thank you for your reply
Roger
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If you have no traffic and it crashes with a dll problem then it is a texture issue. Normally a missing/corrupt scenery texture. You will need to identify which texture is missing this is absolutely the sort of thing that procmon will help you with.
If you get a VB error come up then it is an effect issue.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I use procmon but I'm a novice. How do I find what a/c are causing the crash. In the results column I have nothing but success against FS9 process.

Also the FS Texture Checker shows lots of incorrect Alpha channels even in a/c that I know are fine as theyve worked OK for months. Is there a utility to correct the Alpha channel on mass?

Any help is gratefully received.
John

campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

VulcanDriver wrote:I use procmon but I'm a novice. How do I find what a/c are causing the crash. In the results column I have nothing but success against FS9 process.

Also the FS Texture Checker shows lots of incorrect Alpha channels even in a/c that I know are fine as theyve worked OK for months. Is there a utility to correct the Alpha channel on mass?

Any help is gratefully received.
Here you go John, this program will fix any alpha issues on DXT3 images. I have used it many times.
Attachments
DXT3Fixer.zip
(52.7 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK with Procmon what you do is filter out everything but FS9.exe, then you filter out everything that is a success. There are some other refinements, which I don't have access to out here, that will limit the amount of output to the screen.

Now, this is where it may be frustrating. Procmon is best at highlights errors. Remember that FS9 will find the texture fine so the above procedure may not be of any benefit. The only way it may help is if you show all results and the very last thing it does is find and load the problem texture(s).

In this case the texture is found, which is the problem. You really need to go back to basics and work out the problem bgl, as I suggested some time ago. You will discount three quarters of the bgls with only two loads of FS9.
It may seem like it if you have a lot of bgls, but I found one last year within an hour using my method and I have well over 600 plan bgls.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Steve I've fixed incorrect textures using DXT3 fixer and checked for errors with FS Texture Checker. I'm still getting a CTD at 98% loading. I'll try your procmon technique on Monday.

Cheers

John
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I've added the traffic files in small groups and loaded FS9 after each addition so far no CTDs. Will give FS a good testing tomorrow. Fingers crossed the problem has been resolved.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Pleased to say FS9 is now behaving itself. Never did find the causes of the CTD. I'll put that in my OOTT file.

OOTS = One Of Those Things
John

campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Glad to hear it John.
Mark
jacquesbaudy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by jacquesbaudy »

i have got the same problem yesterday and solved it quite easily.
I have disabled all traffic and noticed i got no CTD.
So i looked forward to the recent traffic files that i made a few days ago.
In one of those files an airport had no location and was unknown by FS9.
Changed the airport destination, reable traffic, and retry to run the same flight.
Every thing goes right now.
The important fact that i learnt was that the deficient AI plane was not intended to reach
the aerea where i flew but only cruise over!
Hope my experimentation will be usefull for someone!
Please, excuse my poor english
Cheers!
A poor lonesome froggie
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Ah, the mysteries of the MS FS AI engine. That's useful to note. Thanks for posting.
John