The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Window 10 and the impact to FS9

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Window 10 and the impact to FS9

Post by BLACKCAT »

Early versions of W10 allowed FS9 (and, I suppose FSX) to run in full screen.

MS did something that emerged with the release of W10 version 10330 that screwed up the full screen mode. Nobody except MS can know what they did to cause this and nobody at MS, despite howls of protest from the community, are doing anything about it.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Yep that is what I understand, but I think its to do with the name of the graphics card in the fs9.cfg.
In the past it didn't matter what the section/card was called as long as it could open to the screen size and depth that was specified. I think that now the OS looks for the specific card and it fails if you don't have the correct one in the cfg file.

This is how I fixed it on my system and it is consistent with some people having no issues and some having a black screen. My guess is that most people change their graphics cards more often than they rebuild their fs9/fsx.cfg files.

At the moment it is still a hypothesis, until people that current have the issue follow what I did to see if that fixes it for them. It would be nice to have a simple non-MS solution.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

So glad I stayed with W7 my FS9 set up plus all the FS tools I've got will never run on W10!!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

VulcanDriver wrote:So glad I stayed with W7 my FS9 set up plus all the FS tools I've got will never run on W10!!
+1 :smt023
    Mike M.
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin
    Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I respect your decisions and will not try to persuade you one way or the other.

All I can say is that so far I have not had any proggies fail to work under Win10. A couple I have had to set compatibility settings or change the way I run it but nothing untoward.
    For example FS9 runs fine in both modes, AFX, ADE, Airwrench, ACM, FSDS, EditVoicePack, AIFP and ACA2005 all run perfectly well.
    Steve
    gsnde
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin
    Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

I don't deal with FS9 anymore, but can absolutely confirm what Steve says. All my FS tools work fine on Win10 64bit.

It's the usual MS flow that you see on both OS and Office versions. XP, Win7 and Win10 are great products, while Vista and Win8 are the first (and mostly) terrible early steps into the next development of Windows.

I am happy with Win10 for both my office/development machine as well as for the flights I'm system.
    From mobile hence short
    Cheers,
    Martin