The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Textures

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Textures

Post by VulcanDriver »

I have loads of Texture folders in the Add-on Scenery folder. Many with duplicates. I was thinking moving these to the main textures folder to reduce the number. Would this work or is it necessary for them to be in Add-on Scenery folder?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Textures

Post by Firebird »

What I did was to create a new folder 'MAIW Scenery' and placed the bgls and textures from our packages in there, obviously adding it to the scenery.cfg as well.
What it has done is dramatically reduce the number of bgl and therefore texture dupes on my system. The only thing I did find was that with Nick's French packages I found a couple of textures that were different but named the same.

What I would do from your perspective would be to do the same. Create the new folder and activate it and then start copying the libs over one by one and zipping up the ones where they currently are. Once you have done one check it out in game. If no problems move onto the next and so on. What you should find is that after about half a dozen you will start to find that more and more are just zip jobs rather than copy.
Once you are finished it will be a simple thing to go through and delete the zips and reclaim a lot of space.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Steve did that and things have improved. Flew from EGUL to EGUN which were the ones with the texture problems. After tweaking the FS9.cfg and graphics card the texture problem seems to be fixed. It looks like the drawing distance of the textures that was causing it. Some questions re display in FS9. Is bilinear better than trilinear and what does render to texture do?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Trilinear is better than Bilinear as it processes more frames ahead of time, however you need more card graphics memory as you have the current plus next 2 frames in memory rather than the current and next. You will also get more of a card overhead as it switches and manages 3 frames at once rather than two.

That being said, most modern graphics cards are built knowing what users want and expect from their cards these days. So generally speaking if your card and driver support trilinear, which should be most gaming cards, then use it.

Render to texture I believe is only relevant in cockpit view (with gauges) and therefore it really does not matter one way or the other for AI stuff.

Glad your situation has improved.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Steve for the explanation. Yes Trilinear is given in a drop down list so I guess it will support it and it's allowed me to overclock the GPU and also the VRAM speed. At one point I was hitting over 90fps at EGUN but then I settled for a fixed FPS of 30.

Cheers
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yep I go for 30fps as well although I have frequently had over 250+ fps in places.
The other thing I would try is to limit the visibility.
Try reducing the MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS parm to 44000 in your fs9.cfg and seeing if you see any improvement.

A word of warning here is that this setting is automatically reset to 96560 every time you click OK in the display settings in FS9. You will then need to re-edit FS9.cfg to put it back to your prefered setting.

I think that 96560 equates to the minimum vis distance of 60miles. Altering the parm reduces the distance to about 30 miles but the slider still shows 60, hence why every time you click ok it sets it back to the display setting of 96560.

If it makes a difference but you would like visibility greater than about 26 miles then try 66000.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I guess we in UK never see visibility of 60 miles! Most days it's below 20 miles!! ;)
John