The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

FS2004 skips due AI

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
beroun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

FS2004 skips due AI

Post by beroun »

Hi,
I started experiencing "skips" momentary screen freezes (usually in vicinity of airports) lasting split of a second (could be running consecutively, or just a few then stop). This is on my brand new W10 PC with 16GB DDR4 memory, i7-6500U processor and NVIDIA GeForce 940MX card (2GB DDR3). Got FS9 with 37GB - plenty of add-ons and AI. The skips are definitely caused by AI (not scenery), because if I zero traffic they are not there and flights are smooth (however not seeing any AI is no fun flying!). I get these skips even with 10% of AI!
I got FS Environment 9 v1.3 from AVSIM Misc. files library suggesting some tweaks in Roaming fs9.cfg, which I fully complied with. I think my skips have reduced (could be a placebo:) but are still there. Please note that these skips have apparently nothing to do with reduction of FPS (we have experienced in old PCs)! my system is strong enough to handle FS 2004. I read someplace that they are apparently caused because the "OLD" program (which FS2004 is), is running on new much higher capacities PC, than what it was designed for.
Does anyone has similar problem and mainly any remedy or tweaks - would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks.
Peter Bendl
ex BA
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: FS2004 skips due AI

Post by Firebird »

I too have got a W10 turbo-nutter-bastard setup and occasionally I get skips. I have played around with fs9.cfg settings in the past which have reduced some of the problems so it seems like we have gone down similar paths.

Two things I have done to further reduce issues are firstly to use a proggy called fs9cpu which is designed to use multiple cpu cores for FS9. Now I should say that FS9 will only use one core which is why you will get issues such as stuttering, but it does seem to make things smoother. Just remember to use the 4core version of the proggy.

Another thing that can cause issues is the loading of the scenery. What I have done is place all of my scenery on a separate HD. Not a different partition on the same HD, as this will make no difference at all. I use a 120GB SSD for speed and this has also reduced the issues.
Steve
beroun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by beroun »

Great piece of info Firebird and Many Thanks. Will experiment and keep all posted. Incidentally, must say that I am getting used to experimenting few skips once in a while. The great scenery and AI, which SF9 still presents us with makes up for it! Also MANY thanks to MAIW for making the military airports alive! Have great New Year.
Cheers
Peter Bendl
ex BA
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote:I too have got a W10 turbo-nutter-bastard setup and occasionally I get skips. I have played around with fs9.cfg settings in the past which have reduced some of the problems so it seems like we have gone down similar paths.

Two things I have done to further reduce issues are firstly to use a proggy called fs9cpu which is designed to use multiple cpu cores for FS9. Now I should say that FS9 will only use one core which is why you will get issues such as stuttering, but it does seem to make things smoother. Just remember to use the 4core version of the proggy.

Another thing that can cause issues is the loading of the scenery. What I have done is place all of my scenery on a separate HD. Not a different partition on the same HD, as this will make no difference at all. I use a 120GB SSD for speed and this has also reduced the issues.
Hi Steve I have quad core CPU where did you find fs9cpu?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

There is one version on Avsim titled "FS2004 Affinity Tool" which splits into 2, 4 and 8 core versions and I found another tool, which maybe a later version, which just has one exe and copes with all cores http://www.mediafire.com/file/3cshc8hlz ... Odisey.rar.

Again I stress that these do not make FS9 multi-threaded what they seem to do is assign FS9 to one core and split off ancillary proggies, and other PC activities, to other cpus.
I have read that some people say that these proggies reduce fps. I can not confirm one way or the other. My thinking here is that if you are getting stutters it is better to get smoother operation at 40 fps rather than stutters at 50 fps, especially when you take into account that the human eye sees 24fps as motion (this is the rate for films at the movies).
I personally have my FS locked at 30 fps as I believe it to be a waste of processing to have it unlimited.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Steve, just to get it. My neighbours son, who owns a HD video production company was home for Xmas and we discussed best FPS and the standard in TV is 25fps, to allow for any eyesight problems watchers may have . If you go to a major rock concert or any big event the big screens are more than likely supplied by him and his brother.

He set up a VR system. I've always been sceptical about VR until I was on top of a high building and got vertigo. I was in his lounge in reality!!

Cheers

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy