The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Bi or Tri?

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Bi or Tri?

Post by VulcanDriver »

What is the difference between Bilinear and Trilinear on graphics cards, and what does FS9 use?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Bi or Tri?

Post by Firebird »

Rather than make a fool of myself trying to explain it I thought I would just point you to a couple of articles which hopefully makes sense.
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questio ... ture-filte and http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/177 ... -trilinear

Like most things in regards to game performance in comes down to hardware specs and what is the smoothest so it might be worth testing each to see the best.

FS9 has settings for Bilinear, Trilinear and off. I would suggest that if you have an nvidia card and use nvidia inspector to set your filtering to remove jaggies that you can set it to off in FS9.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I have an ATI Radeon HD5570 Card, I can set the graphics to Anisotropic and it gives the option to over ride the what I think is the game settings, but when I go in to the sim the graphics are terrible, just square blocks with no detail.
I have to reset to Trilinear for the display to be normal again, is there a way to set Anisotropic to FS or not, does anybody know, according the the links above that gives the best display even though it gives a frame rate hit I wanted to try it?
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

I still follow the advice given here:

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forums/24/11048
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

col1948 wrote:I have an ATI Radeon HD5570 Card, I can set the graphics to Anisotropic and it gives the option to over ride the what I think is the game settings, but when I go in to the sim the graphics are terrible, just square blocks with no detail.
I have to reset to Trilinear for the display to be normal again, is there a way to set Anisotropic to FS or not, does anybody know, according the the links above that gives the best display even though it gives a frame rate hit I wanted to try it?
I don't think there is a proggy like Nvidia Inspector for Radeon cards but I could be wrong. As for the settings in FS the answer is no. The game was designed 13 years ago way before all those clever little features where available in graphics cards so there are no options in the game. The only way to improve the quality of the frames is to use mod the drivers to override the games settings.

*** UPDATE ***
A quick search for a Radeon util that is similar mentions RadeonMod. It might be worth checking it out.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote:
col1948 wrote:I have an ATI Radeon HD5570 Card, I can set the graphics to Anisotropic and it gives the option to over ride the what I think is the game settings, but when I go in to the sim the graphics are terrible, just square blocks with no detail.
I don't think there is a proggy like Nvidia Inspector for Radeon cards but I could be wrong. As for the settings in FS the answer is no. The game was designed 13 years ago way before all those clever little features where available in graphics cards so there are no options in the game. The only way to improve the quality of the frames is to use mod the drivers to override the games settings.

*** UPDATE ***
A quick search for a Radeon util that is similar mentions RadeonMod. It might be worth checking it out.
I have an AMD ATI Radeon HD 6700 card and you can get a utility from AMD Called Catalyst Control Center which allows
you to modify settings and many other Gucci things. I've changed Anti-Aliasing to override application setting, but I can't set Anti-Aliasing on the card to any number it always reverts to None. If anyone with same card knows of a way please let me know.
Perhaps they can post their settings for FS9, plenty of FSX settings on the web for this card but not FS9 / FS2004 that I've found at least.
TIA
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy