The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Inetpub.

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
col1948
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Inetpub.

Post by col1948 »

I recently spotted a program on the PC, it is called 'Inetpub' when I Googled it it came as 'Microsoft Internet Information Service'
I also noticed lots of other have this and are wondering what it is and what is it for.
I saw a post of how to disable it, when I did so I got a screen saying to restart the system, it took a few minutes to change a few settings before it came on again.
I went to open a video clip and the file was not recognised, so I selected to play it with VLP and it played but the normal windows media player was not listed any more.

So I selected to enable this Intepub and still the file/s won't open with media player.
I also noticed the Search on the start was missing too when I disabled this Inetpub, I have it back now I've enabled it again.
I'm now wondering why MS have installed this on my PC and others without my permission and what other damage has or is it doing, any thoughts?
Last edited by col1948 on 17 Jan 2017, 09:48, edited 5 times in total.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Intelpub.

Post by Firebird »

I googled intelpub and didn't find anything. Googled responded with inetpub, are you sure that its not inetpub?
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Re: Inetlpub.

Post by col1948 »

Sorry Steve, you are right, I corrected my post, it is Inetpub.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Inetpub.

Post by VulcanDriver »

It's the windows web server if you're not publishing web pages it's safe to remove it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44 ... e-inetpub/
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

hi John,
Like my earlier post I disabled it and lost a few things, I was a bit afraid to delete it after that.

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

From what i read it is part of IIS which is only needed if you are publishing web pages. If you are not using it you can uninstall IIS using the 'Turn Windows features on or off' control under the 'Programs and features' control panel.

On my system, W10, only some parts of IIS are installed and active. Hopeful you will see the structure and it helps.

Code: Select all

World Wide Web Services
    Application Development Features
        .Net Extensilibility 3.5
        .Net Extensilibility 4.6
        ASP.NET 4.6
        ISAPI Extensions
        ISAPI Filters
    Common HTTP Features
        Default Document
    Security
        Request Filtering
If the structure looks the same on your system and you can't figure out how to disable part of it. Turn off ALL of IIS and then turn back on only the default parts.
If you don't have W10 then search on the internet for the default IIS installation for your OS version.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Steve mate, I'm W7 so I will look, after I enabled it again I got the parts back but I think I enabled stuff I didn't need to.
It would have been nice to have been asked before they installed it on my PC, a simple question would have done:

Are you using your PC for publishing web page? Y/N
If N then ignore this installation, if Y then download it.

Edit:
After a search I'm finding pages telling me all different things, even Youtube there are clips of how to install it and one guy was ticking every box on his clip.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The question is do you want to use it? If no, then you want the default W7 settings for IIS.
If you can't find it then maybe somebody else on W7, that hasn't tinkered with it can supply their settings.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I use W7 I'll check but I'm sure it's not installed
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've just done a windows search for inetpub on my Win7 PC and found nothing. There is no inetpub folder on my C:drive, Control Panel/programs shows nothing and nothing of that name is running in Processes and Applications in task manager.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

On Windows the only way you can see the installation is to use the 'Turn Windows features on or off' control under the 'Programs and features' control panel.
Even on my PC IIS is part installed but only the minimum parts, as stated earlier. What you need to access the Windows Features section and see what the default is for W7.

I do hope that I am making sense.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I can actually see the folder on my setup:
Attachments
inetpub folder.jpg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have it on my system to but I haven't installed it. As I said, some parts of IIS are active by default. I also have 5 map files in C:\Windows\WinSxS.

You appeared to be concerned by this. The question is did you try to active IIS fully or not? If you just found the folder and then started to be concerned BUT did nothing else then leave everything as it is.

If you want to get rid of it then read the link that VulcanDriver posted earlier. It tells you how to switch IIS off and delete the folder.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Steve,

Like I said in my first post I noticed it on the PC as you can see from the screenshot, so I wondered what it was and did a search, I saw posts from other people who were also wondering and concerned, so I de-activated it as some posts said.
Then some things stopped working after I did this, so I activated it again but I'll admit I wasn't sure what I should tick in the boxes, I got the things working again but I was just wondering if I ticked boxes I didn't need to.
I'm sorry if I appear to be over reacting but it bugs me when things like this appear on the PC and not really knowing what they are for or doing.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK Now I get it. You deactivated it but then re-activated it fully and that is where problems started.

So go back to basics. Are you publishing web pages from your PC? If no then disable it completely again.
Then if want to get your PC back to as it was before you started you need to find the default installed options from somebody who has got W7 and hasn't messed around with it.
As I said some of the sub options are activated by default and you want the full picture. So screenshots may be the easiest way of transmitting this info.

The only other option I can see is to repair your Windows 7 installation from its bootable CD.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I looked at Windows Features on my W7 PC and the box marked Internet Information Services is unticked as is Internet Information Services Hostable Web Core is unticked. Are yours ticked, grey or unticked? BTW I didn't find inetpub anywhere on my PC.
John

col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Ha Ha, sometimes I am a bit dumb lol, I totally never gave this a thought, I have a laptop with W7 and I just looked on that, can't think why I never did that in the first place, sorry to be a pain and waste people's time.

Col.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

col1948 wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 14:18 Ha Ha, sometimes I am a bit dumb lol, I totally never gave this a thought, I have a laptop with W7 and I just looked on that, can't think why I never did that in the first place, sorry to be a pain and waste people's time.

Col.
Its never a waste of time Col as others may have the same problem. Glad you have sorted it out.

Cheers

John
John

col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Thanks John,
I did a screen shot of the default settings I have for my Windows 7 Ultimate, if it's any help to anyone.
There are no boxes ticked but the blue ones are semi-active if that makes sense.
Attachments
inetpub.jpg