The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Help!

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Help!

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi guys

My Windows 7 PC has developed a strange problem in as much as when I click on a desktop icon it doesn't open but instead it gets attached to the mouse pointer. Also task bar icons do not respond not even the start button. No virus or malware detected. I suspect I have a rogue driver clashing somewhere. Is there any way I can see my drives and which ones I can safely remove?

TIA
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Help!

Post by Tranquil »

John have you tried booting in safe mode! and if so is it still happening?

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Does the start button work using the keyboard shortcuts, and therefore the menus?

If it does then it may be the mouse that is the problem. Do you have another one to plug in, or one that you can borrow to try.
If you are lucky it is the mouse driver and maybe swapping mice will cause the new one to install and then when you swap back the driver for that one will re-install OK.

I am suggesting this as I assume that you can't into the Device Manager and uninstall the mouse driver.

I assume that you have a backup but either don't want to go back to that or can't due to the mouse issue.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi all
Had good clean out of programs I know longer need and some much needed disk management last night. I also found I had two drivers for the mousse installed, one from Windows 7 and the driver that came with the Logitech mouse. Deleted the MS one and it seems to be fixed.

Cheers
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy