The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

joystick jitters

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

joystick jitters

Post by VulcanDriver »

OK folks when I configure the X56 in FS9 I see that it is sending lots of data when it's not being touched which causes the joystick to be twitchy and can't be centred. Any ideas how I can stop the sensitivity of the stick. It seems the X56 is the same as the X55 but with a mini joystick attached.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: joystick jitters

Post by Greg »

You could try enlarging the deadzones in the stick calibration software.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Greg touched on the one thing I was going to ask - you have calibrated it haven't you?
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Being playing with the x56. Managed to stop the jitters but now have a new problem that throttles are not working in the sim although they are configured. I'm using FSUIPC. Someone recommended that the joystick is disabled in FS9 letting FSUIPC do all the work. I'm sure I've never done in the past. Logitech say to plug the x56 into rear USB ports not front ones. Why should it make a difference?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

VulcanDriver wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 15:56 Logitech say to plug the x56 into rear USB ports not front ones. Why should it make a difference?
I have a feeling that most computers have older versions of USB ports on the front and save the latest ones at the back. A check of your hardware specs/manual will probably confirm this.

I have mine plugged in at the back purely for ergonomic reasons, i.e. they are always plugged in leaving the front ones for temporary use.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Ah could be. I'll try that tomorrow
John

ricki429
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ricki429 »

VulcanDriver wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 15:56 Logitech say to plug the x56 into rear USB ports not front ones.
Didn't realise that! I have to re-calibrate everytime I start FSX as my Logitech has major jitters and all axis are zero'd...May have to try the newer (blue) ports on the back...
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

ricki429 wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 23:05
VulcanDriver wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 15:56 Logitech say to plug the x56 into rear USB ports not front ones.
Didn't realise that! I have to re-calibrate everytime I start FSX as my Logitech has major jitters and all axis are zero'd...May have to try the newer (blue) ports on the back...
Ah so I'm not alone. Nice stick but a bugger to set up.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I've now used the rear USB sockets and it does seem a lot more stable. Still a few tweaks to do with the joystick. I have a problem in as much that the throttle is not recognised in sim by FS9 but a knob on the throttle controls the engine power which is odd. Does any one know how to set up deadzones in FSUIPC?
John

JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

John

Coming in blind from the outfield here.

In the FS9 controls menu there are steps to assign the throttles or any control as a slider to a specific hardware unit.
You have to move the axis or press the button.

I seem to remember having to do this when I changed controllers a while back.

Hope it is not a red herring.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Having read several reports it seems that FS9 and FSX see all USB controllers as joysticks and allocate the same axis to all devices. So in my case I have three devices joystick throttle and rudder pedals all acting like joysticks and sending conflicting data to the sim. So I need to delete all the assignments from the devices and configure them individually. This I will do on Xmas eve and see if it cures my problems.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Success. I had to configure all the devices individually and the use of rudder pedals makes landing easy. Thanks to John Tenn who suggested it and to the 14 year old simmer who put a video on YouTube explaining the "design feature" and the problem he had with rudder pedals.
John

gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

VulcanDriver wrote:... Logitech say to plug the x56 into rear USB ports not front ones. Why should it make a difference?
The USB ports located at the rear side of the computer are nearly always directly attached to the main board.

The ones on the front are sometimes break out devices coming with the main board, or the are already provided by the case manufacturer. Either way you are adding the length of cabling through your case and maybe bad quality connectivity to the USB chain.

Therefore the recommendation to use the rear ones.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Martin. I changed the USB ports and I now have the X56 HOTAS and rudder pedals working OK now.
John