The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Real Weather

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Real Weather

Post by Jive1 »

Hey!
I've been searching already quite some time to find a good working real weather program for FS9, since Activesky stopped working. And I want to find a good solution in freewware, because the addon software for FS9 costed me already enough.
I tried also quite a lot of different programs, FSrealWX, REX, FS9Metar, Pilots-SGRW, but none of them gices satisfaction to what I expect from it. I want to find a solution as good as Activesky 6.5, that was to me the best I ever had.
How do MAIW-pilots with FS9 as the medium solve that problem? What about Activesky Evolution? Or is there a good freeware program to replace Activesky 6.5, I mean, that works tecnically on the same way as AS?
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium
Windows 10 Home NLD 64bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1024MB 1920 x 1080 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
C:\ NTFS 120,12GB 95,81GB 8 170MB
Redbull AV and Redbull Firewall
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Real Weather

Post by Jive1 »

Presentky, I have FSrealWX Lite running... That means, it is activated, but I don't see no weather activity at all, and in the WX-window there is mentioned 'not connected'. Here my problem is that I don't know how and what I should do to make the program connect to FS9...
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

You have got fsuipc installed haven't you? That is what connects FS9 and FSrealWX.
Steve
morbidfred
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by morbidfred »

Also run FSRealWX Lite as Administrator, that solved a similiar problem for me.
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

Yep! I have FSUIPC installed.
But Why, if FSUIPC should establish connection between both programs, why does FSrealWX show a message like "not connevted", and how to make FSUIPC connecting really?
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well I have just conducted a test.
I loaded up Seattle and started FSrealwx lite and it connected automatically started downloading the weather and the status line stated that FS9 and fsupic were connected.

I then shutdown everything and moved fsuipc.dll into an archive folder and retried. When FSrealwx was restarted the status line said not connected, same as you.

I shutdown again and moved fsuipc back again and it worked when i tested again.

I think that fsuipc is either not installed properly or is corrupt. Try moving the fsuipc.dll and reinstalling again, remember to save your fsuipc.key file if you have registered it.
Steve
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

There are two questions that make me doubt…
Is FSUIPC the best, the correct connection system for FSrealWX and FS9? Don't I need Simconnect to install?
Is FSrealWX Lite really freeware? Don't I need a key to make it work correctly?
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

FSrealWX Lite is free.
Simconnect can't be used as it is for FSX.

Let me put it this way. I installed FSrealWX Lite to see what you saw and it worked straight away. If it was a network error, like your firewall blocking access to the weather site you would still see the FS2004-FSUPIC connection message at the bottom.

You don't so your problem is that wx is not connecting to FS9 through FSUIPC. It is not that you need to register FSUIPC, you don't. I tested that.

If you have an unregistered fsuipc then remove it and re-install it and I have a hunch that it will work. After all what have you got to lose?
Steve
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

Hey!
First I removed both FSUIPC and WIDEFS from FS9.

Then I installed again both without registereing. I clicked the FSrealWX.exe and the only thing that happened was a small window to open, empty, noyhing of the weather worked, like before. Even I don't see the wider window showing, before, the WX-data, nor was a 'nor connected' indication visible, nothing happened.

Thereafter I registered both FSUIPC and WIDEFS, tried again to activate FSralWX.exe, but again nothing else happened tn before, a small empty window opened, but no wder window with the WX-data, no weather action in FS9, nothing worked…..

What could it be that is wrong in my situation, what could I do myself wrong?...

Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Does anything else work with fsuipc?

The not connected means that the wx can't talk to FS9 through fsuipc, so there can only be 3 things that are possibly wrong. If other things work with fsuipc then we have to conclude that fs9 and fsuipc are both working correctly and that the issue is the wx.

So I would firstly check the log, fsrealwx.log, which is in your installation folder. One of the first things it will tell you is the fs and fsuipc versions. If you like you can attach a copy of it here and Ic an see how different it is to my log.

The only other thing is that fsrealwx is not installed properly which I find difficult to believe as it has no real registry entries.
Now one difference could be in your installation setup. Neither my FS9 nor my fsrealwx are in the default locations, C:\Program Files (x86). This is to avoid permission issues. I have them both on a different drive, D:\Program Files (x86), and it works straight out of the box.

So it could be that if you have FS9 in its default location that this is causing the issue, it could be that if you have the wx in its default location that this is the issue. Although I would doubt this. The sort of issue you should see in that case is that you are connecting but the weather doesn't change in game.

I could package up my ini file and my wx program folder for you but I am not convinced that this is the issue because I only installed it to help you out so it is not like I have tinkered with it.

So firstly lets see the log and then secondly uninstall fsrealwx and install it into a non-default place. Maybe, just maybe, something got corrupted on its installation.
Steve
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

It is for sure the WX-program that is wrong.
I've seen on the Avsim forum, 1°, that FSrealWX Lite is not supported anymore,and this is even stated on their website as well. So, I had download from their website, and possibly that was wrong. 2° there is an older version of FSrealWX on the Avsim-library, so I downloaded that one and installed. The content of that zip file is different from the content of the zip file on their website.

I installed this one now, I have FS9 on my D:\FS9, and also installed FSrealWX Lite in a folder inside the FS9 folder.
Besides that I use version 3.999z8 of FSUIPC.dll, registered and upgraded to v3.999z9a, and everything works fine so. because also on the Avsim Forum I read that FSrealWX needs the last version of Peter Dowson, and that is what my FSUIPC is.

In these conditions the start of FSrealWX is different from before! This latter version contains two dat-files, one for the airports and one for the stations. Maybe the two dat-files in the last subfolder of the FS9 are not good for this program.
Now, when I start FSrealWX, clicking the FSrealWX.exe, I see the small window opening this time, and showing what I expected. However, there is also an unexpected message now : incorrect version of FSU v0.04.467.BETA
I don't know what FSU is. Is it Flight Simulator Unit?.... Or is it something else.

I feel we come closer to a solution for my problem.
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I am not sure about FSU. I will have a look for it. It might be that FSUPIC was cut off as v4 was for FSX.

In the mean time attach your FSrealWX.ini file and it might show something useful.

On my system FS9 is on my F: drive and FSrealwx is in own folder on my D: drive

You don't need to register fsuipc, the unregistered version of 3.999 will suffice. Registering it will not harm it, it is just not necessary.
I would suggest uninstalling fsrealwx again and installing into its own folder and not a sub-folder of FS9, just to be sure, as mine works.

Also in the mean time if you pm me your email I will zip up my fsrealwx folder, including the ini file, and you can see if there is any difference with your installation.
Steve
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

Good morning!
Before sending you the ini-file of FSrealWX I may say following: The previous message about incorrect FSU... was not correct from my side, it should have been "incorrect FSUIPC, or not FSUIPC". I can see that now because I made the window where it is mentioned wider than before, and now I can see the whole text, and nod only part of the tex like yesterday.
So, when I want to start a flight, I first activate FSrealWX and give the airport where I will start my flight, then, when I think that FSrealWX is ready, I activate FS9, and after a short while it says" Incorrect version os FSUIPC or not FSUIPC". ( and not Incorrect version os FSU ).
Presently the FSrealWX ini-file is as follows;
[General]
Metar=1
Weatherupdate=10
DwlUpperair=0
DwlAddWeather=0
DwlStartup=1
FramePosX=2239
FramePosY=349
FrameSizeX=902
FrameSizeY=360
[Weather]
wxRange=300
[Cloud]
GenerateCirus=1
Cloudmixed=0
Cloudlayer=3
[Wind]
SurfaceWindGust=0
TurbulenceCloud=0

Attaching files is not possible to me now, so I could send several attachements by mail, if you agree. E.g. an image of my FSUIC settings, because something may be wrong there????
My email address is xxxxx@xxxxxx.be

email address removed to stop a bot attack

Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK I have contacted you by email.

Your problem here is that fsuipc version 4 is for FSX. For some reason fsrealwx is picking up a v4 and is failing as v4 connects to FSX.

So what I would do now is do a complete system search to find that other version and put it somewhere safe. If you don't have FSX you shouldn't have it at all. If you don't have a special tool try Everything from here https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/ download the portable version. It takes a short time to build up a database the first time you load it but after that it is blindingly fast.

The version that I have in my Flight Simulator 9\Modules folder is 3.999z2 but any 3.999 should do. It is 291KB in size.
Steve
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

Hey! Steve,

Using that Voidtools download, and searching on my drive D ( where FS9 is ) I see 3 kinds of that file,
one is in FS9/Modules, that must be the right one,
one was in the folder of HifiASE-program, I removed that one by removing the program itself,
and many fsuipc.dll files are in the recyclebin of D and of my drive I, which is my big archive extern drive of 1.5 TB.
Should I remove those latter also from the archive, they are all archived as zip or rar files.
My version in the FS9 is 291KB as well.....

Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well if they are in the recycle bin then yes empty your trashcan and that will solve those.

The archived files shouldn't be an issue so once you have deleted everything else try running the program again. Please post the fsrealwx.log as it shows what it is picki8ng up or not.
Steve
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

I'm sorry, but even with the Everything tool I cannot find ant fsrealwx.log.
The FSrealWX folder only contains these files: airport.dat - changelog.txt - FSreaWX.exe - FSrealWX.ini - station.dat
Jive1
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

Hey! Steve,
I have a new question now….
Are we talking both of the same version of FSreaWX?
I am using fsrealwxkite.zip because this is the only one with the two dat-files ( one for stations and one for airports )
Two other versions are in the AVSIM library FSrealWX Lite Setup_283913.zip and fsrealwxlitesetup.zip
Above these there is also another one on theid website FSrealwx lite is an outdated version and is no longer supported ( see https://www.fsrealwx.net/index.php/down ... -downloads ).
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

There are no dat files in my one and as for the versions this is why I keep asking for the log file.
It tells you the version and the fsuipc version.
Steve
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

Hey!
Below is the content of the changelog.txt

FSrealWX lite
Bug report: bugreport@rs-transline.de
v 0.04.467 (22.10.2010)
fixed:
- Set FS Weather Dialog, FSUIPC-Error handling and Weather-Error handling
- Processor utilization decrease
- decode Dewpoint from Metar
add:
- Set FS Weather Dialog, "Clear WX" button added (Clear all weather, but leave dynamic setting alone)

v 0.04.427 (14.10.2010)
fixed:
- Window resize
- update time is displayed in the statusbar
- after restart, the old weather not deleted as long as the FS remains active (e.g. if tool crashes)
add:
- FSUIPC-Inferface works in seperate thread
- FSUIPC-Inferface error handling and logging
- weather initialization in separate thread
- Window size save for restart
--------------------------------

V 0.03.260 (30.09.2010)
fixed:
- Progressbar repaint
- set FSUIPC Wind smoothing option
- upper air wind
add:
- Window position save for restart
-------------------------------

V 0.03.260 (27.09.2010)
fixed:
- Global Upperair Wind
- Visibilty Range
-------------------------------

V 0.03.234 (22.09.2010)
add:
- display closest Metar station

fixed:
- FSX support (crash after start)
- crash after FSUIPC error (try new reconnect)
- Metar decode RVR
- Metar decode wind variable
- Upperair Wind

unquote.
I don't know if something interesting is in thhis content....
But I can do a test with one of the other versions now, now that I know that no other FSUIPC.dll interferes with the right one.
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium