The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

ssd questions

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

ssd questions

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'm seriously considering installing SSDs to replace my HDDs in my FS9 pc for increased loading times. My motherboard is SATA but I don't know which version. The PC was bought in 2011 or there abouts. I assume SATA is backward compatible.

My question is this. I want to clone my C: drive to one SSD and my D: drive (my FS one) to the second SSD. I'm planning to swap my D: drive out and put an SSD in its place to clone it then remove my HDD C: drive and boot off the SSD.. The problem I can see is as I have only two HDD bays how do I clone the second SSD from the FS HDD or can I swap the cable from my CDROM drive on to the FS HDD

Finally any recommendations on the best SSD for normal PC use.

TIA

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: ssd questions

Post by Jive1 »

You can build your HDD into a extern box as an extern hdd and when your SSD is mounted you can copy the content of your HDD extern to the intern SSD...
Is only one possibility
Jive1-Belgium
Windows 10 Home NLD 64bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1024MB 1920 x 1080 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
C:\ NTFS 120,12GB 95,81GB 8 170MB
Redbull AV and Redbull Firewall
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks for the tip. Is it possible to partion a SSD for both C and D drives. I assume there is very little latency as there is no mechanical seeking involved qs in HDDs
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

It is far better to have two separat SSD's, one smaller for C-drive, eg. 250GB, and a larger one as the D-drive for Flightsimulator eg. 500GB or even 1TB, if you think to build extensive scenery.
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium
Windows 10 Home NLD 64bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1024MB 1920 x 1080 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
C:\ NTFS 120,12GB 95,81GB 8 170MB
Redbull AV and Redbull Firewall
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

It is always better to have your C drive separate, and only use your C drive purely for the OS.

Now most SSDs come with software to allow you to clone drives. I have used the Samsung software and it works a treat.
There is one proviso, that normally they will only clone the C drive. Not the disk that the C drive is on just the C drive so read up on the software first.
Now what I did was buy a lead on Amazon that was an external USB to SATA lead for SSDs. This way you can boot normally, plug in the lead, attach the SSD externally and rest it on your PC or desk and then clone it.

Once done you can shutdown the PC, remove the old drive - if you plan to or need to - plug and setup the sata SSD as a boot device and then you PC should boot up normally but faster.

For any drive other than the C it could be a simple as backing up the D drive and then replacing it and restoring to the next SSD.
If you don not back up your HD then you can use the lead that you got for the cloning and just copy the data on to the new SSD.
Once finished install the secind SSD internally and reboot.
You may get errors because your system is looking for a specific drive leter(s) but once you reset the drives to what they should be and reboot you will be OK.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 16:06 It is always better to have your C drive separate, and only use your C drive purely for the OS.

Now most SSDs come with software to allow you to clone drives. I have used the Samsung software and it works a treat.
There is one proviso, that normally they will only clone the C drive. Not the disk that the C drive is on just the C drive so read up on the software first.
Now what I did was buy a lead on Amazon that was an external USB to SATA lead for SSDs. This way you can boot normally, plug in the lead, attach the SSD externally and rest it on your PC or desk and then clone it.

Once done you can shutdown the PC, remove the old drive - if you plan to or need to - plug and setup the sata SSD as a boot device and then you PC should boot up normally but faster.

For any drive other than the C it could be a simple as backing up the D drive and then replacing it and restoring to the next SSD.
If you don not back up your HD then you can use the lead that you got for the cloning and just copy the data on to the new SSD.
Once finished install the secind SSD internally and reboot.
You may get errors because your system is looking for a specific drive leter(s) but once you reset the drives to what they should be and reboot you will be OK.

Hi Steve

Just checked my HDDs. C: 290Gb capacity with 175Gb used. D: 586Gb with 482GB used I have 10Gb of swap space in a partition on the D: drive.

So 500Gb SSD for the C: drive and 1Tb for the D: drive. Does that sound OK?
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That sounds more than OK. I only have a 250GB Boor disk, with my C: drive set to 230GB which has 111GB free.

So to be honest If you wished to save some money get a 250GB and a 1TB. There are various options that I stated some time ago, which improve performance but I will keep to the simplest and cheapest options unless you say otherwise.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

That option is the one I'd go for Steve. Thanks for the suggestion.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Looking at your info it seems that you have some stuff installed on your C: drive that you could move to another drive, but you have enough space to clone the drive and move appropriate proggies at your leisure.
So you should be fine with the 250GB drive.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Steve
Yes I have lots of programs in the default location on the C: drive. I've decided on 250Gb for the C: and 1 TB for the D:
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

There is one other piece of advice that I would give for people on or moving to SSDs, especially bootable ones.

Although the current gen of SSDs last a lot longer than the first gen drives their is a difference between them and traditional HDs when they get old.
Traditional HDs start to get problems and have glitches which give you warning and enough time to replace them. SSDs have a tendency to go in a heartbeat. It doesn't mean that you don't get symptoms but unless you use drive software regularly that looks for these signs of bit failures it can bite you.

So with an SSD regular full backups really are essential. If an SSD fails you currently will not be able to recover from that. Software like True Image or something similar really is recommended. I know its a good thing even with HDs but even more so with SSDs.
I know the latest gen last years, unless you really bash with constantly changing content, those years do go very fast.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Steve that's something I didn't realise. I assume the software that comes with the Samsung EVO SSD has the appropriate capability to monitor the situation? I've got some external USB HDDs I can use as back ups.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

To be honest I don't think that it does, but a simple search on google for 'ssd monitoring software' brings up various things including this page https://mashtips.com/ssd-health-test-an ... tor-tools/.

To be honest it is not something that you need to use all the time, check monthly at most, and if you have the backup so that a disk can be restored that is all you really need.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Steve.
John

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

They have become really cheap in Australia.

Just picked up two Samsung 1Tb QVO SSD's for $139 AUD each. With the $20 rebate also they will work out at $119 AUD or $238 AUD for the pair.
Will just RAID 1 them.
They have a 3 year guarentee and a MTBF of 1.5 million hours. (about 170 years).
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

The two I need come to a total of £200 on Amazon. A lot cheaper than the last time I looked!
John