The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Windows 10 Mail app image compression

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Windows 10 Mail app image compression

Post by John Young »

Does anyone know how to turn off compression of images inserted in new messages in the Windows 10 mail app please? I want to insert a 1000 pixel wide image and although I can resize it, the resolution stays very low and pixelated. I've tried for the last hour to find the answer on the net without success. I'm almost at the point of ditching this baby basic mail client.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Windows 10 Mail app image compression

Post by Firebird »

I will admit that I didn't realise that the Mail app did compress it. I have never noticed it.

Can you drop the pic in my folder, John, and I will have a play around with it tomorrow.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

You can use any image you like Steve. Just find one about 1000 pixels wide and try and embed it (not attach) in a message. Grab one of my screen shots if you like.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK I think I know what is going on and you can override it very easily. I would like to send you a test to prove it so I have sent you a pm.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

test email sent showing how to achieve what you want, I believe.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Afraid not. When I insert the picture to send (not attach), even if I select "resize" and "original", it still stays as a thumbnail.

Give me back Windows Live Mail any day.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The pictures come out large size in the Mail I sent you but for some reason yours do not. I have checked and there is no picture compression setting. I am wondering if it is the version of Mail that you are using, as I am sending the stuff using the same system.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Solved it.

I saved the picture that Steve e-mailed me to a folder and then inserted that image into a new draft e-mail message. It displayed fine at the correct size.

I then compared Steve's image with my 1000 pixel-wide screenshots. Steve's image had a resolution of 96 dpi (that's a print resolution measure), but mine was 762 dpi.

Next step was to take a fresh screen shot in FSX, but this time save it at a 96 dpi resolution. When I inserted that into a new e-mail draft. It displayed fine.

So it seems that the Windows 10 mail app can't handle an image resolution greater than 96 dpi. That's quite annoying since Windows Live Mail never gave me a problem with higher resolution images.

I'll continue to take screen shots at 96 dpi and see how I get on. I might yet change my e-mail client to something a bit more versatile. The Windows 10 Mail app doesn't appear to have a great reputation from all I have read. It is very basic and perhaps that's quite deliberate when Microsoft probably wants to push Outlook as part of Microsoft Office. I have that also, but I find Outlook going too far in the opposite direction of complexity.

Thanks for your help Steve.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem.
Glad it is sorted. I confess that I use Mail as it does what I need. It is not the greatest in the world but for me it doesn't have to be.
The only limitation that I have found is that mailing lists are a pain to create and use but you can do it.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

762dpi? Blimey! I'm surprised you need that resolution. However, the default Win10 mail client isn't particularly great, particularly if you want to access archived mail. I have to use it for work, otherwise I'd ditch it. For most stuff, I use the Gmail online client on my Windows computers, which is great as long as you're online. I've also had good experiences of Mozilla Thunderbird in the past. I also use the Apple clients on my Macs and iOS devices, which are far better than the Windows thing.