The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FS9 crashes when loading

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

FS9 crashes when loading

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Guys

FS9 has started to crash when its loading and its always about 84% of traffic.

I think Firebird suggested using a program to analyse what was causing it. Does anyone remember the name of it. Last time it was a bad texture in an aircraft folder.

TIA
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: FS9 crashes when loading

Post by Firebird »

The proggie is called Procmon and is one of the apps in the Windows Sysinternals pack.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

thanks steve
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

right chaps, this is the last call before it crashes

18:44:11.4105302 fs9.exe 8052 QueryOpen D:\FS2004\AIRCRAFT\AI AIA B737-800 WINGLET\texture.ryr\texture.CFG NAME NOT FOUND
18:44:11.4106250 fs9.exe 8052 QueryOpen D:\FS2004\AIRCRAFT\AI AIA B737-800 WINGLET\texture.ryr.CAB NAME NOT FOUND
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Both of those are not mandatory files so they are not the error. It is before those. I suspect that none of your textures have a texture.cfg or a .cab file.
Steve
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

It sounds more like a dodgy FP.

Can I suggest removing your traffic files and restarting FS9.
If it starts OK then replace the FPs in batches to try and find the guilty party

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

Another method I've discovered for sorting a duff FP is using the merge facility in AIFP.

Selecting all your FPs and the program usually produces an error box relating to the FP that is erroring.
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Jim,
Purely on an academic note, what causes a traffic file crash? I have never had one myself so I am curious.
Steve
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

Firebird wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 21:06 Jim,
Purely on an academic note, what causes a traffic file crash? I have never had one myself so I am curious.
I had imported some FPs from a backup and it looks like it had somehow corrupted them.
Impossible to say what the prob was as Ttools and AIFP couldn't decompose. Had to go and find originals
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ahhh OK so a corrupted file does it. So if it hits one of those it crashes rather than ignores it. OK, thanks.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

jimrodger wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 09:40
Firebird wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 21:06 Jim,
I had imported some FPs from a backup and it looks like it had somehow corrupted them.
Impossible to say what the prob was as Ttools and AIFP couldn't decompose. Had to go and find originals

That is what I've done. Now looking for the corrupted file
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I've added the traffic files one by one. Crashes at a certain time of day so I'm using AIFP to check for errors. Started AIFP but it says there is no registery entry for FS9.

Most strange so I check with regedit, no entry. I would have thought FS9 wouldn't have started without a reg entry but it does. I think there is repair option on the install disk if not it's going to be a fresh install.
John

jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

In the AIFP folder there should be a AIFP.ini file.

This points AIFP to FS9 location

Jim
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I have that same problem John. FS9 doesn't appear to be registered although it is listed in Programs in Windows Control Panel and it does launch OK.

ADE won't now give me the option to open in FS9 mode and, like you, AIFP won't show the FS9 option. Something has changed that because I have previously opened ADE and also compiled flight plans with AIFP in FS9 mode. Both .ini files have the correct path to FS9.

I too have been considering a re-install of FS9 (or dropping it altogether). If you try the repair option, would you kindly post the outcome please.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have had that in the past There are a couple of utils that will re-add the path.
One is available from Flight1 and is free http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library and another one MArtin did with the early versions of ADE, the ADE9X Environment Checker.

Both these allow you to fix the path. I think the problem is that MS did change the registry entry it looks for in 10. At worst these proggies will add the old path setting reg entry back for programs that check those.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

AFCAD also flags that the FS9 path is not present in the registry and offers to add it. I tried both that and the Flight 1 tool and rebooted. Flight1 confirms that the path has been added, but still the path isn't found in ADE or AIFP, even after a re-boot.

When I check the W10 Registry with Regedit, I can only get as far as "Hkey_local_machine\software\Microsoft". There is nothing that continues further into "Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator.\9.0\Exe Path!". I couldn't even see an entry for FSX and I don't have a problem with that.

If I were to re-install FS9, isn't Windows 10 going to change the registry entry again?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yes indeed it would. Let me investigate my reg this afternoon.

ADE currently has both FS9 and FSX set for it so I must be doing something right somewhere. Did you install ADE after FS9 or before? Can you remember?
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Reinstalling FS9 the first disk has the option to uninstall it. I did that and found an registery entry from a previous installation and deleted it. It didn't delete the any files from my current installation that has no registery entry. So I'm now doing a fresh install then I'll copy my aircraft and scenery folders from my existing install to the new one after testing the new install.
John

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think I would have installed FS9 first Steve, but like John, I wonder if I have two registry entries. If you could check where the path should be in the registry I'll go hunting again. If not, Ill re-install from the disks.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

My thinking here is that re-installing does not fix the problem. I have something niggling at the back of my mind that the install goes to the one place and ADE checks another place.

I am looking now.
Steve