The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

FS9 crashes when loading

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: FS9 crashes when loading

Post by Firebird »

OK I have found them. Theya re together. It also makes a bit of sense. As they are 32 bit proggies on a 64 bit system they are in :-
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator'

Under that there is 9.0 and 10.0 keys with the installations under those.

Can you check your registry to see if you have anything under there. I can provide reg keys for you if necessary.

I have just run ADE under procmon searching just for registry activity and the WOW6432Node is where it searches for the sims, at least on my system.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Now this is very strange Steve.

Yesterday I found the path in the registry as you identified, but the default path has no data set:

This morning, both ADE and AIFP are recognising FS9. This was after booting the PC this morning, but I did re-boot after I ran the Flight1 tool and FS9 remained unrecognised.

I've checked the registry again this morning after the success and it's unchanged from the screen shot.

Any idea what was causing the problem and whether FS9 is likely to stay recognised by those two programs?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well now you have the reg entries the only way it won't find it from now on is if something is deleting the entry.
That shouldn't be happening unless you are using a tool to clean up the registry, and even then it shouldn't delete this.

It may be that, as with a lot of cases, that machine needs to be rebooted after a reg change for it to be picked up - even if the key is there.

Without being able to see the exact sequence of your fixing changes yesterday i can't really say about why it works today and not yesterday. The key thing is that it works and you have the knowledge to fix it should something happen again.

My entries look exactly the same as yours.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's good thanks. I'm reassured by your last line.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Well guys, having reinstalled FS9 and flown from my local airport a number of times on different days it no longer crashes so I can only think the corrupt traffic file may have been a red herring. I can only assume it was down to to do with a duff registry entry that the FS9 Disk1 found and asked if I wanted to delete a previous installation.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sounds like a good day for FS9 users.
Steve