The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Hard drive space

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Hard drive space

Post by sprocky »

As I am running out of HDD space I am looking for ways to get as much as I can on an external USB drive without losing to much performance. I will start with Addon Scenery folder. What else can be placed on the external drive? What about the Aircraft or the Traffic files?
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I moved everything to an external HD, with only my basic config file by default remaining on C drive, and have no issues, including access time issues. The bits n bytes move across the USB faster than FS can use, so no issues exist. With the external drives so cheap now, it makes sense to put all your FS files on a dedicated drive, and stop worrying about space.

Ron
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by sprocky »

But this needs a complete new installation right onto my external drive, hm? I guess it is worth to think about as I could simply copy my folders from the backup folder.

Thanks.
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

If you want to avoid the re-install of the basic FS to the hard drive, you can just point FS to the additional add-on scenery on the external drive and it will work just fine. Whatever is best for you.

Ron