The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Is this graphics card any good?

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Is this graphics card any good?

Post by djnocturnal »

I don't know much about computers but i picked up this graphics card at my local exchange today for $120.00
Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT 512 MBI'm hoping to be able to run FSX with it! I currently have a Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE.
hopefully i did the right thing??
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by KevinJarvis »

I don't know much about that card, but I have been reading lots of dismay regarding the nVidea drivers. Make sure you get the right ones...and what I've read is that the latest drivers are NOT the ones to get.
I'm sure someone with more info will post explaining this in more detail.
Kevin Jarvis

btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

Go for the 8800GT range, or the GTS if you have to
These cards fly, and will be fine for FS9,FSX and whatever is next. DX10 support and all that..

Would not waste my time on the 8500, maybe look at the 3850 if u are short of money....
Barry
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

I have the 8800 GTS and do not see any difference in FS9. I see a load of difference in LOTRO and COD4.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

what CPU do you have?
Barry
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

I have a Dell E520 With...
Vista Home Premium
Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13 ghz
3070 MB Ram
Nvidia geForce 7300 LE 128 MB

I currently have fs9 settings maxed out with abou 20-25 fps, and can almost run fsx, its a bit choppy but still workable.
i guess what i meant to ask is will this new card let me run fsx a bit more smoothly? I havn't installed the 8500GT yet, as i have no idea what i'm doing and gonna let a friend work on it.
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

the 8500 gt says it has 512mb so it should run noticably better as i've been running it with 128mb graphics card right?

thanks for the feedback fellas :)
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Have you had a look at http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/04/ ... page7.html

It's about 1/2 down the list. Means it only half as good as the best one's in the top section. You can try and find a review on the card in the archive.

Ron
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

wow!! i got it installed, and all i can say is wow!!
i'm getting a constant 25 fps with the sliders set almost to the max, i also have ground environment x & ultimate terrain x installed...i will post up some screens in a bit!