The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FS Crashing

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
MACC
Major
Major
Version: FS9

FS Crashing

Post by MACC »

Hi guys, i was wondering if there was a tool to find out which AI Aircraft are causing my FS to crash.
btw, its to do with my RIAT, so there lots to choose from :lol:

macc
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

MACC,
I haven't found one yet so if you do, let me know.

What I can tell you, from experience, is that usually two things cause a CTD. Scenery, normally this is a corrupt texture or one not in the correct format and can mean checking each one for the scenery to see what causes the problem.
The other is an effect usually its an aircraft one, which is either not done quite right, or its trying to use an non-ai effect. The difficulty here is that it doesn't necessarily happen where you are, in can be up to 100miles away from you.

To give you an example the new UKMIL Waddo scenery crashes me, and I am trying to find out which texture(s) is the problem. For aircraft, the most common cause is using a non-ai aircraft as ai, not bad in its self, but keeping the effects with it.

So the first question is how and when does it CTD? If you can give us some details maybe we can narrow it down.
Steve
MACC
Major
Major

Post by MACC »

It happens when i try to watch te F16's from the thunderbird pack fly, except from Fairford(do they have some sort of special AIR just for Otis)

macc
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I don't believe so, Chris, Mike has said on many occasions that he would like to find the time to redo the f16 fde but hasn't got around to it yet.

OK, we have to narrow this down, so no matter what time you go to your RIAT and how long you sit there the problem only happens when the F16s fly?
If this is the case, its not scenery, it would be an aircraft effect. Now I think we can discount the F16s themselves as somebody would have noticed by now. What it might be is another aircraft being spawned within your area by fs9. Now as I understand it, your area is effectively a block of airspace, and you might be right in the corner of it, not necessarily you being in the middle.

Normally the problem is that people convert non-AI to AI aircraft and leave the original burner attached. This will crash the sim. To give you an example I was getting random crashes at Valley once, and it turned out to be a beta version of a Jaguar burner effect that was causing it. FS9 spawned the flight in my area and it immediate fires the afterburner effect, this caused the crash.

I would check your system to see whether you have an aircraft aircraft set up as I describe. Its basically a more or less trial and error situation. If you need help let us know.

EDIT
Just re-read your post. If it doesn't happen at Fairford, this rules out the F-16s, so where does it happen?
Steve
MACC
Major
Major

Post by MACC »

It has to be the F16s as when i watch them the off from it crashes, but when i take out traffic_RIAT.bgl evrything works
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Strange. However to really prove that, remove the F16 from the RIAT bgl, re-compile, and see if the crash still happens.

If it doesn't pm your aircraft.cfg containing the T-Birds and will have a look to see if I can see anything.
Steve
MACC
Major
Major

Post by MACC »

ok thanks.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

MACC wrote:It happens when i try to watch te F16's from the thunderbird pack fly, except from Fairford(do they have some sort of special AIR just for Otis)

macc
MACC,

No the AI Thunderbirds use the standard HTAI F-16C FDE and I have never had them cause an FS9 crash when used at other airports. However, if you have modified their AI FDE (.cfg and/or .air files) in any way, then anything is possible.

Mike
MACC
Major
Major

Post by MACC »

must be something else then.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

I had a problem with an a380 texture caused fs9 to crash
Try removing the texture file of a few aircraft
The aircraft will still show up but gray
Trial and error I'm afraid

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
MACC
Major
Major

Post by MACC »

thanks for all the help chaps
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Let us know if you find something.
Steve
MACC
Major
Major

Post by MACC »

I just decided to delete the whole thing.