The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Help on HD partitions

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Help on HD partitions

Post by sprocky »

I just created an image of my 40GB HD and put it on a new 60GB HD. Good thing: it works. Bad thing: my system patition is just 40GB in size while 20GB are unused (I do not want a second partition). Unfortunatly DISKPART (running XP SP2) does not support extending the system partition.

Does anyone know of a freeware tool that I can use to merge partitions or to extend the system partition? I do not want to pay 30EUR for a program I just use one time :?

Thanks in advance!
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

This works for XP also.

You don't need to have 3rd Party Softwares to achieve resize partitions in Windows Vista.
Simply follow these steps:
Click Start > Rt Click on Computer > Select Manage
In the left pane, under Storage category, click on Disk Management
Now select and rt click on the partition you wish to modify.
In the context menu, you will see options to Extend, Shrink or Delete the partition. Select the option you want.
You can not merge partitions in Vista with its Utility. If your 2nd partition is empty, you can delete the 2nd partition and then extend the 1st partition, to use the freed up space. Also note that you can extend only to the right; if you are desirous of extending the partition to the left, you may have to use a 3rd party utility, like Acronis.
Sometimes one or more options may be grayed out and thus unavailable. It could be that such a step may be physically not possible.
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

I do not see the extend option. AFAIK it does not work with the partition were XP is installed.

I only get the options:
Open
Search
Change drive letter
Properties
Help

:cry:

I have the Acronis True Image but I am afraid I need a different product as I could not find the option to extend partitions...
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Goto Dells site, do a search for -

extpart

Partition extender.
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Yeah, that's it!!!

Thanks, Weescotty! :D
Jan