The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

PSP question

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
aerogator

PSP question

Post by aerogator »

Here's a question for you Paint Shop Pro experts. For some reason, My layer palette has turned into a simple 2 column box. How can I get it back to the way it was before with more details?
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 558 times
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by KevinJarvis »

What version of PSP do you use?
I have PSP7 and I've gotten that box before but danged if I know how I did it.
Kevin Jarvis

KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

Ok, taking a look at PSP7 with a layered template. I can get the full view by clicking on the 'appearance' tab. Which, I don't see on your example.

Could it be that since you have this open on a wireframe that you won't get any more than you're seeing?

KJ
Kevin Jarvis

aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Hey Kevin, I am using PSP7 and this version of the layer palette just appeared one day and I have not been able to revert to the more detailed one. I don't think it has anything to do with the layer because it is this way with all layers. What makes it so difficult to use is that I have to go to the Layers drop down menu to even see what layer I'm on :( .

Is there any way to reset default settings? I can't find it.
Attachments
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 469 times
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Try right clicking on the top of the layer pallete box, select customise then reset defaults.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

well... this is what I get when I do that:

I'm thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Is this a good idea?
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

Jake, I've been trying for a minutes at a time the last few days to duplicate your problem and I've been unsuccessful. I thought maybe somehow the slider between the layer name and layer opacity got slid all the way to the left to obscure the name but my program won't actually let me do that(I too have PSP7).

This problem does seem to occur to others though and there is a suggested registry fix if you want to go that route and feel comfortable editing your registry. I'll post(actually repost it from someone else) it here but just as a caveat: EDITING YOUR REGISTRY CAN(but may not) HAVE BAD RESULTS! My advice is if you go this route(I edit my registry somewhat regularly without problem) is that you create a backup before doing any of the following instructions).

-Exit PSP
-In the windows Start menu, select Run
-Type regedit and press OK

-Save your registry settings now! Run regedit. Do File / Export. At the bottom of the dialog, select "Selected branch", and enter "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jasc" (without the quotes). Give it a file name and save it. Now if it happens again, and we have trouble fixing it, you can easily restore all of your settings by importing the file you just saved with regedit.

-Follow the path: My Computer> HKEY_CURRENT_USER> Software> Jasc> Paint Shop Pro 7 > LayerPalette (Select layerpalette)
-In the right pane, look at the values of VSplitterWndLeft and VSplitterWndRight. If the VSplitterWndLeft size (the number in parentheses) is 0 or very small, then try setting VSplitterWndLeft to 100 and VSplitterWndRight to 104.

-exit the registry editor.
-Restart PSP
--Chris
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

aerogator wrote:well... this is what I get when I do that:

I'm thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Is this a good idea?
PSP should have the option to repair if you decided to remove the program. I would try this first. If this doesn't work, when you do remove PSP it will ask if you want to save settings. Stating NO should revert the program back to default settings.
I've never found a way to revert back to default, but then again, I've never looked for that option.
Kevin Jarvis

SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

KevinJarvis wrote:PSP should have the option to repair if you decided to remove the program. I would try this first. If this doesn't work, when you do remove PSP it will ask if you want to save settings. Stating NO should revert the program back to default settings.
I've never found a way to revert back to default, but then again, I've never looked for that option.
Everything I read indicates the repair option did not return the missing pane. :( So it's either a complete uninstall and reinstall or the above mentioned registry edit could solve the problem.
--Chris
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

@ Kevin: I had already tried running the "repair" option while running "setup". This did not fix the problem.

@ Chris: I may try this but I think first I'll do a complete unistall/install and see if that does the trick. I'm a little hesitant about doing anything to the registry but it may be a last resort. I'm away from my software today but will give it a try tomorrow and report.

Thanks so much guys for your help. I'm able to use the program but its really a bummer using the layer pallette in this configuration. :)
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Right click the Layer toolbar
Select Customise
Select Toolbars tab
Highlight Layer Palette Toolbar
Click Reset
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

I got it back! :D

However I had to do the uninstall/install bit to get it. No big deal, though.

Kevin, thanks for your help, but I was unable to get my program (and/or me :oops: ) to follow your steps. Right-clicking the "Toggle Layer Pallette" icon on the main toolbar was the only thing I could find that would give me a "Customize" option and then when I clicked that I got a dialog box but it did not have a "toolbars" tab. It did have a "reset" button and a "Toggle Layer Pallett" option under "Current toolbar buttons" that I could highlight but nothing changed when I clicked "reset". I think either I have a different version of PSP or (even worse) I can't follow directions :oops: :lol: . Thanks for your help and all's well now anyway :D