The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Flashing Textures

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
aerogator

Flashing Textures

Post by aerogator »

I know I've seen this discussed before but I couldn't find it. My aircraft textures flash through different shades as though the light source is coming from different directions. This happens on all MAIW aircraft and some others. Some aircraft are immune, such as HT's Cessnas. It also only happens when the aircraft is on the ground: when it takes off, the flashing goes away. This has just started happening since my last re-install of FS9. Is there a cure?

Please tell me its just a setting and my graphics card is not going out. :roll: (Since I have a laptop and I guess that would mean replacing the whole thing.)
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

BUMP

Has no one else experienced this? Its driving me crazy> :x

Thanks, :)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Jake, can't say that I've ever experienced or heard of that. Sorry I can't help further. Sounds like a graphics card issue maybe.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by Ford Friendly »

My gut feel is that IF only aircraft textures are flashing rather than the entire screen, it's not a graphics card issue.
rlink
Cadet
Cadet

Flashing Textures

Post by rlink »

Hi Jake,
I am experiencing this too in FSX. Some of the auto-generated building roofs flash like this. I also have a "Rescue" decal on Kirk Ollson's F-16 Viper that does this. It drives me nuts, but I haven't found a fix for this either. I am also hoping that it will just require a tweak in my video settings. I have an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS videocard with 640mb of videocard memory.

Randy L.
Remember: Any landing that you can walk away from is a landing that you can be fined, sued, or prosecuted for.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Thanks Randy for your reply. Hopefully if we keep this thread going, someone will know what to do :lol: . I have a dinosaur laptop with an ATI 9200 card but it has always been OK until recently. And BTW, I believe this just happened after my last reinstall so I'm hoping its just a setting but I haven't found it yet. Its gotten to the point where I only fire up FS when I'm checking one of my models. :(
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

OK, I went back to the Settings-Display menu in FS and unchecked the "Render to texture" and "Transform and lighting" boxes and the problem seems to be solved :D I thought I had looked at all of that before and I don't even remember them being checked... but anyway... just shows that if I look at something enough, I'll see what I should have seen the first time :oops: , except I have no idea what those things mean.