The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Jerky Frame Rate Behaviour

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Jerky Frame Rate Behaviour

Post by campbeme »

Hi all,

Im after some help, I am currently experiencing very Jerky frame rates. Symptoms are I get 45 seconds at 55fps then this suddenly drops to 3fps for about 20 seconds then jumps back to 50fps. This carry's on all the time 45 seconds at my normal fps then the sudden drop them jumps back up. Problem happens in flight and on ground.

This has only just started happening to me over the last two weeks. I have tried the below to fix it but to no avail.

1) Disk Defrag.
2) Set Traffic pointer to zero.
3) Scenery sliders moved to lowest setting.
4) No weather

But still I get 45 seconds at 55 fps then the drop to 3 fps for 20 seconds then back up to 55fps.

Driving me mad if anybody has had this FS complaint and managed to solve it can you let me know how please.

Regards

Mark
Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Mark,
I might have an idea here. It sounds similar to what I was experiencing but I had the additionally problem where it lock up completely for about 3secs and would dump all the textures, so white aircraft etc, and then reload afresh. Incidentally, I lock my fps at 20fps.

I eventually found out that the problem was my virtual storage setting. As my FS9 is on 4x fast HDs set up as RAID0, I increased my Virtual mem to 6gb to decrease the amount of out of memory errors. This is what cause the problem.
I have since reduced it to 2gb and the nasty effects that I had before have disappeared.
Steve
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Steve,

Going to give that a go now.

Thanks for the advise :idea:
Mark
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Just curious why you would want anything more than about 30 fps? Isn't 24fps the fastest the human eye can detect?

BTW, I would LOVE to have 55 fps, or even 30 for that matter!!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Hey Steve,

Thanks matey that worked a treat, after two weeks of "FS Slide Show" I was ready to make a expensive trip to PC World.

BTW: Mike, ive trimmed the FPS slider back to 24, no point me trying to test things I can't see. :P

Mark :smt023
Mark
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

I've always read from the real FS gurus (which I am not) that by asking your system to produce anything over 24 fps, you are simply wasting valuable resources that it could be using to for other things. Of course for those of us with lessor systems, this is very important. If however your setup can handle it, I suppose it's not that big of a deal.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Mark,
Glad to be able to help. Just so we build up useful info for others in the future what did you have your virtual mem set to originally and what did you set it to to cure the problem?
Steve
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Hey Steve,

I have a partitioned drive creating drive C & D.

Virtual Memory for drive C was set to max out at 1500mb. But drive D had no virtual memory set to it. Guess which drive FS9 was on. (that's right it was D).

Before changing I read on the net that virtual memory should be set to 1.5 times to 3 times you total RAM.

http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/ ... r-ram.html

My Ram is 2048MB

C Drive set to 3072 > 6144mb
D Drive set to 3072 > 6144mb

Problem solved.

cheers Markhttp://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/ ... r-ram.html
Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thanks, Mark.
Useful to know as you did the opposite to me and it fixed the problem. maybe it was adding paging to your FS9 drive that solved it.
Steve