The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Trouble with FS2004

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
james84

Trouble with FS2004

Post by james84 »

Hello!
I had to format my HD because my brother made a mess installing Ubuntu, so I had to reinstall everything.
I also re-installed FS2004, but the game freezes after few minutes.
I thought it could be caused by something related to my AI traffic and sceneries(some 16 gigabytes), which I backed-up on another HD.
If I try to restart the game I get an error message stating that there has been an error with a file called "panel.dll" and other dll files.
I didn't make any substantial modification to my system, as I installed my old Windows XP copy and the usual hardware drivers - except for the graphic card (NVidia GeForce 440) which needed updated drivers because I have a new and wider LCD screen (but I downloaded them when I bought the screen and worked fine)...
Has anyone had the same problem?
Thanks for any help!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Well, without the specific crash error I could only search on generic panels.dll crashes.
It would appear that the common cause is that not all the drivers for the motherboard and cards are installed. Most commonly the sound drivers.
I would start with that.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Ok I'll reinstall it as soon as I can and change some setting in the sound card.
Thank you!
james84

Post by james84 »

Hello and Merry Christmas!
I reinstalled FS2004 today and the problem persists, but I noticed that it crashes when I use the slew mode...
After formatting I reinstalled the whole system and the usual drivers, except the ones for the graphic card, which needed an update because of the new LCD screen's resolution. Any idea?
james84

Post by james84 »

Nothing?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sorry James, I didn't see your last reply.

So after your total rebuild is your crash exactly the same, in the same circumstances, or is it similar? As slew mode is a bit specific.

Have you managed to find the error message in the event viewer? IF you can post the details here we can maybe do some tracking down for you.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Thanks for the answer!
I ended up reinstalling Windows (after formatting) and I carried out a sort of "crash test". I left the game in slew mode for one hour on a busy airport and it worked. Same freezing though, but after a long time! I had to reset so I don't have an error report.
Maybe it was a bug of the game I never noticed?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Its possible, it maybe a memory issue with an add on or something.

I think the best thing to do here is just use the game as you would do normally and see if any problems develop. Then report the details with crash info and add on info at the location and maybe we can sort something out.
I have frequently left my PC running watching AI and comeback a couple of hours later to find that it had a problem. Without specific info you just can't track it down.
The good news is that you have the cleanest possible system now.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Thanks again, Firebird!
I am running FS with a clean configuration now and without anti-aliasing, which is quite smooth and isn't that bad with the new screen's resolution (1440x900).
It happened yesterday a couple of times, but this morning I kept the sim running for another couple of hours over another busy scenery and I found there was no problem at all, moreover I also took a short IFR flight... no problem at all!
I'll keep you updated!
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Maybe it happened in a specific area where you used the slew mode? Or did it happen anywhere?
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
james84

Post by james84 »

Some updates: I am running the game in a lighter mode than usual and it seems to work well, although it keeps on crashing from time to time.
Today it happened once in slew mode while I was landing at Stockholm and another one when I was vacating the runway in Melbourne, and yesterday once again in slew mode. Anyway, it seems to work fine. Tomorrow or Sunday I'll do a "crash-test" if I have time!