The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Defrag Question

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Defrag Question

Post by djnocturnal »

I have O&O defrag and was wondering what is the best method of defrag for my Drive with FS9 on it.
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by Ford Friendly »

Over on avsim, NickN made the following recommendation for max performance/benefit for FSX.

1. Delete all Internet Explorer temp files.
2. Empty the Recycle Bin
3. Reboot - immediately stop all unnecessary processes via Task Manager
4. Space Defrag ensuring that neither keyboard nor mouse is touched.
(His reasoning there is that any interaction with either of those may cause a slight loss of continuity/processor cycles dedicated to the defrag and thus result in less than optimal defrag. IOW, every little bit helps.)
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 once each//reboot and Space defrag.
6. Reboot (Step 3 again)
7. Name defrag.

NickN says that if you do this after any MAJOR disk file modification/software installation, you get the best benefit and only need to do periodic updates via SPACE defrags. He goes on to say that the "full Monty" procedure only needs to be done once a month at most under normal circumstances.

There are at least three threads over there discussing the methodology, reasoning and results. Most seem to feel that it DOES result in a noticeable improvement in FSX-performance. The dissenters mostly argue that this is an example of overkill and/or an example of the placebo effect (you only THINK you see an improvement).

I'm in the "this works for me" camp and have been using this method since he first posted about it. I think that I've seen an increase of 5FPS in the Manhattan ATC area - it's definitely flyable for me even with my sliders at the 71% level for both commercial and GA aircraft.

He noted that FS9 performance would be improved, but the results/gain would probably not be as significant as in FSX because past a certain point, FPS improvements aren't really visually noticeable, only numerically so.

YMMV.
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

wow, does seem like a lot, but i will give it a shot. thanks for the info!
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

djnocturnal
I have O&O defrag and was wondering what is the best method of defrag for my Drive with FS9 on it.
I used O&O Defrag for a time (try before buy) and found an article By Mike McCarthy (6 January 2007) on Flightsim.com to be very useful. It was called Mikes musings #4 & #5.

He refers to both O&O and Ultimate defrag in his Op-Ed and I have found that I got significant improvements to both FSX and FS9.

They can be found here:

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?6mQGa0 ... /ed394.htm

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?6mQGa0 ... /ed395.htm

I now use Ultimate defrag and run it monthly and it works very well especially on older machines, but even on my quad-core Hi end gaming box there are significant improvements.

Regards

Pete