The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

AFX and AFCAD

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

AFX and AFCAD

Post by Victory103 »

Gents,
Since we have both versions running MAIW packages, I trying to get the gouge on AFX files and if I can use them in FS9? I see the Flight 1 software allows this, but how do I get AFCAD2 to read the files and can I drop AFX designed airports into FS9, without looking at them in AFCAD and trust they are to my "sim" standard? I realize there are some differences between the two files and how FS reads them, plus the "eye candy" for FSX. Main reason I ask is there is a developer making/revamping basic airports for FSX using the program. I strive to have accurate layouts and normally hunt them out if I am flying to one real world. This would save some time with having correct airports in the region I fly.

Thanks
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Do we release packages for FSX?
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

I think he means since the packages work in both FS9 and FS10........

You can use AFX files in FS9. Apparently you can look at AFCAD2 files with AFX but not the other way around. I guess you just have to fire up the sim to check out the AFX files in FS9.

You have to watch though, it appears that some if not all AFX files for a given airport will override and cancel out any AFCAD2 file for that same airport. AFX will make taxisigns and some other things in addition to the airport surfaces. If you try to combine an AFX made file for taxisigns and an AFCAD2 file for the surfaces, the AFX file will cancel out the AFCAD2 file all together.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I use AFX. Its much better I find and is what AFCAD2 would have been if it had been developed IMHO. If you open an AFX file in AFCAD2 it removes AFX features it does not understand such as the exclude area. AFX does not have an aircraft editor which is a shame.

What I like is the ability to import a background image of the airfield so you can accurately place object etc.

AFX adds FSX specific objects if you use it in FSX mode.

You can also run FS9 with AFX and check the AFCAD in real time. Very useful.

HtH
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Jumpshot724
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by Jumpshot724 »

I use both. AFX has its pros and AFCAD has it's own imho. When I make Afcad Files I usually do the ground work in AFX and then do all the cosmetic cleaning up in AFCAD, I just like AFCADs interface/display better even if it doesn't have all the features found in AFX
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks, and that's what I meant. I've got AFCAD down and have been using it for years.

MIKE JG......nice Hookers!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris